"Ref you suck" chants of fans - benign or otherwise ?

hoowaa

Oct 22, 2011
Winnipeg
What impact has and now does the MTS Centre crowd's consistent reaction to embarrass/admonish the referees for poor calls or non-calls ?

I will boo my displeasure as loud as the next guy, as a fan I'm sure it's expected by refs.

I do not join the "ref you suck" chants as I am sure it places a real and tangible negative bias on our city and our team.

If refs were robots I would be less concerned, but human nature is hard to overcome.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
What impact has and now does the MTS Centre crowd's consistent reaction to embarrass/admonish the referees for poor calls or non-calls ?

I will boo my displeasure as loud as the next guy, as a fan I'm sure it's expected by refs.

I do not join the "ref you suck" chants as I am sure it places a real and tangible negative bias on our city and our team.

If refs were robots I would be less concerned, but human nature is hard to overcome.

meh, sometimes it's overdone sometimes it's deserved, no idea if it has any effect

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?

lol. These refs grew up reffing junior hockey, where crowds take it to incomprehensible levels. It gets ****ing nasty.

Most Refs, If they have gotten to the NHL, probably think its funny.

hoowaa

Oct 22, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't hear it on a national broadcasts for other teams. One I recall hearing in past was "b*ll *****" but don't hear that often.

I've heard it 5 games already this year and numerous times in the past. It is becoming commonplace.

I think the fraternity of refs have conversations about cities that are tough to work in and that Winnipeg would be a consensus "fans are A-holes" to refs.

I think as a result, we we now lose the close calls, and any margin for error is slimmer than most. We get called for everything.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm with hoowaa - I always get the impression once we start chanting "Ref you suck!" the refs become determined to show us just how much they can suck.

So I avoid the chant now unless I'm full of righteous anger (and righteous liquor).

Now if we were to send a message to a particularly bad unit of refs in the style of a Mexican drug cartel, then they might realize we are not to be ****ed around with... :sarcasm:

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
I don't hear it on a national broadcasts for other teams. One I recall hearing in past was "b*ll *****" but don't hear that often.

I've heard it 5 games already this year and numerous times in the past. It is becoming commonplace.

I think the fraternity of refs have conversations about cities that are tough to work in and that Winnipeg would be a consensus "fans are A-holes" to refs.

I think as a result, we we now lose the close calls, and any margin for error is slimmer than most. We get called for everything.

I don't think it has an effect really, take a look at the opposing teams' GDT the fans of the other team are always pretty sure the refs are out to get their guys to. Usually means the refs are equally incompetent for both teams, it varies from game to game

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
For those of you who think the refs don't care, I have a bridge to sell you.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta

I doubt it.

Imagine how bad it is in Philadelphia, NYC, Boston, or Montreal. I'm sure the referees don't take it personally, and consider it par for the course.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
If it affects their decision making then they're not doing their jobs. They're getting paid too much to start making bad calls because they're mad at the fans.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
We should start a 'REFS WE LOVE YOU' chant

or 'YOU GOT IT RIGHT BLACK AND WHITE' chant

or chant 'EVANDER, GET IN THE BOX AND LEAVE THE POOR MAN ALONE'

lets influence them the other way, ........Fuelled by suck up

Tonyuno

Jul 12, 2014
On an island
If you paid big dollars for a ticket and you don!t think the refs are providing fair and equal refereeing then let them know, remember they got in for nothing.

Derfel*

I think they'd care more if we slashed their tires, spit in their coffee and "lost" their baggage at the airport.

Chants are commonplace.

Tonyuno

Jul 12, 2014
On an island
If it affects their decision making then they're not doing their jobs. They're getting paid too much to start making bad calls because they're mad at the fans.

You have to be from another planet if you think refs aren't human.not that many years ago a ref was officiating back to back games between the Oilers and the Canucks and after a lot of harassment from the Oilers bench was caught on tape telling to them that he would get them in the next game. He was replaced prior to other dame.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I've heard it at countless arenas. It's very, very common. Can't believe you guys haven't.

As a matter of fact, I think Winnipeg picked up the nasty habit from other cities. I thought we were actually a little more creative than that.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
Meh. It should only be done when the call was way off. There was a while a year or two ago where it happened every game, that was overkill.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
You have to be from another planet if you think refs aren't human.not that many years ago a ref was officiating back to back games between the Oilers and the Canucks and after a lot of harassment from the Oilers bench was caught on tape telling to them that he would get them in the next game. He was replaced prior to other dame.

Oh I'm not saying it doesn't happen. I'm saying it shouldn't and if it consciously affects a ref's decision making he is not doing his job and should not be a ref. Period. That ref should have been fired on the spot. Again, they're getting paid too much to forgo impartiality because they're butt hurt about fans chanting.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Funny that this would be brought up today, though. At my game tonight, the ref was extremely unprofessional. One of our guys was getting worked over, we were up 5-1, and the ref said to him "you guys are up 5-1, no way I am calling a penalty on them". So, my teammate hooked a guy and was called right away. When he complained the ref says... not only was that a penalty a hook, it's now a slash (which is a 4 minute penalty compared to 2 minutes for hooking).

I'm not saying that an NHL ref would do anything like that. They are watched and evaluated constantly, and would never risk a very good job. It does show that refs are humans too.

Ever since I stopped beaking refs I've gone from easily the most penalized guy on my team to someone who might get a minor once every 4 games, AND I play a shutdown D game. I have modified my game somewhat but being respectful to the refs has gone an extremely long way.

Tonyuno

Jul 12, 2014
On an island
Oh I'm not saying it doesn't happen. I'm saying it shouldn't and if it consciously affects a ref's decision making he is not doing his job and should not be a ref. Period. That ref should have been fired on the spot. Again, they're getting paid too much to forgo impartiality because they're butt hurt about fans chanting.

Thank for a good reply, the ref in this case was Don (have another donut ref ) koharski who ended up officiating over 1500 gams. The point I'a'm trying to make is that refs are human and if the coach , the players and the fans start screaming at certain decisions the Refs will start wondering if they ***k up and will then begin to compensate. Are they right , no, just human.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad