"REF YOU SUCK" chant an Embarr "ass"ment

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
The call on Bogo was bad, the type that can change a game. 4 minute penalty when his stick was at waist level and the guy smacked himself with the shaft of his own stick when he went into the boards. You can almost live with it because of the speed involved, but still I'm sure that ref got crap from his supervisor when they went over it. The non-call goalie interference was bad, that low ref has to see the puck at the point through the play in front of the net, and he blew that one badly.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
The call on Bogo was bad, the type that can change a game. 4 minute penalty when his stick was at waist level and the guy smacked himself with the shaft of his own stick when he went into the boards. You can almost live with it because of the speed involved, but still I'm sure that ref got crap from his supervisor when they went over it. The non-call goalie interference was bad, that low ref has to see the puck at the point through the play in front of the net, and he blew that one badly.

Don't think you saw the play. Bogosian hit him with his stick, not the players' stick.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Don't think you saw the play. Bogosian hit him with his stick, not the players' stick.

Watched the replay in the building, watched it on TSN. Bogo clips the guys stick as he hits him intially, they crash into the end boards and 74 smacks himself across the face with the shaft of his own stick, which he flailed wildly while getting hit. Just like the Desjardins penalty, the penalty was called due to the reaction. Bogo's stick went up and came down during the hit, but didn't touch 74 near the face.

bazaaa*

Watched the replay in the building, watched it on TSN. Bogo clips the guys stick as he hits him intially, they crash into the end boards and 74 smacks himself across the face with the shaft of his own stick, which he flailed wildly while getting hit. Just like the Desjardins penalty, the penalty was called due to the reaction. Bogo's stick went up and came down during the hit, but didn't touch 74 near the face.

Could you be any more of a homer. How do people pretend to not see things when it's really clear on the replay?
That's his stick right in his face.

Attachments

• bogo.jpg
    bogo.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 32

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Bogosian high stick was 100% right call
Wheeler goalie interference was 100% right call - although it was embellished, it was still a good call

Non-call on Pavelec was a bad non-call

Overall I'm not too worried about it, and many made themselves look like fools.

Honestly stuff like this can really hurt the team. If the ref gets upset he will take it out on our team. It did happen last year vs. Florida.

Last edited:

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
The problem isn't the one (or two) times the refs call something... it's the other 10+ times the same play happens right in front of them and they don't call the penalty... pretending to have their sight blocked or some other steaming pile of excuse. Inconsistency is the root of it.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Could you be any more of a homer. How do people pretend to not see things when it's really clear on the replay?
That's his stick right in his face.

Face or shoulder? I've watched it probably 20 times, I see Bogo ride him out, his stick comes up, but the smack to the chops that drew blood was the shaft of 74's stick as they go into the glass. If they are calling the contact Bogo made with his stick in the shoulder/neck area, it can't be more than a 2, and that would be a rare call, especially with how loosely they've been calling games lately.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Face or shoulder? I've watched it probably 20 times, I see Bogo ride him out, his stick comes up, but the smack to the chops that drew blood was the shaft of 74's stick as they go into the glass. If they are calling the contact Bogo made with his stick in the shoulder/neck area, it can't be more than a 2, and that would be a rare call, especially with how loosely they've been calling games lately.

The guy had a cut on the side of his nose, that's why Bogosian got 4. His stick did hit him in the face, it's not a bad call.

You could tell on TV when they were showing the replay on the board though. There was the "Ref you suck!" chant, and then an "Awwwwww" and the chants stopped, haha.

Savagestevo

Nov 29, 2011
If fans of other teams hate our fans then that's fine. I really don't get why people are so obsessed with being seen as "classy" in the eyes of people they probably will never even meet.

angrymnky

May 31, 2011
Winnipeg
Man there are a ton of whiny fans lately... everything from *****ing about a whiteout, to trading byfuglien, to buff playing forward, now the chants. When will you guys grow up?

Don't forget the the ones complaining about reffing all the time.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Generally agree with the poster.

When we are so completely wrong chanting that is a joke.

We pride ourselves on being "intelligent" fans.
If we can keep track of every duck and selanne and coordinate booing and cheering then we should be able to see when one of our guys hit someone in the face with their stick and deserved a penalty.

How does insulting the ref help the home team?

Last edited:

jetsfan8

Mar 13, 2013
oh dean

who cares, this isnt a freaking class show
what is this "classy" fan thing, good god its a hockey game not a CEO meeting

yea that was a penalty, but those refs were blind, and deserved every minute of that chant
did you see pavelec get body checked? cause the zebras didnt

who cares about class, this isnt golf, its hockey

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
oh dean

Winnipeg fans are known for being really sharp and coming up with smart, witty chants. It's kind of cool to have a reputation like that.

"Crosby's Better" was awesome because it made a fantastic point in 4 quick syllables. But it didn't really make much of an appearance the last two games because it's been done.

"Ref you suck" is great if the ref is wrong. You don't start chanting that after a correct call, it looks stupid.

We want to pride ourselves as the best crowd in the league. Part of that is knowing when to heckle the refs, or the opponent goalie. Another (bigger?) part is knowing when not to. We've had a tough time with this lately.

I love the chants, I just think it would be great if we were a bit more clever about them. What I think we SHOULD be doing is coming up with "Crosby's Better" level chants and somehow seeding them into the MTS Centre so we really get some attention throughout the league.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
oh dean

yea that was a penalty, but those refs were blind, and deserved every minute of that chant
did you see pavelec get body checked? cause the zebras didnt

UHMMMMM .... Mr Youngblood if you please..... and I do use Gillette Speedstick....anything less would be uncivilized......

Its not so much being classy.......I would call it good sportsmanship....... where were you when in pee-wee hockey when they gave out those Esso medals or those Tim Horton Timbits player awards......... for good sportsmanship......

Alot of the people have turned this into an officiating thread with specific examples.....

Taking off my Homer glasses..... I think the Jets overall in the first year and half back have had the dissproportionate ammount of the bad calls......its something we have to overcome........ When we get these bad calls I swear at the T.v or at home games voice my diss-pleasure at the call..........but I do not induce a mob like chant at the 1st penalty awarded against our team........when were leading 2-1 at the beginning of the 2nd period........I think this action has a greater chance of back firing and getting the Ref pissed at Winnipeg in General...... maybe he holds a grudge and gives the short end of the stick next month when he refs in Wpg again.... God forbid he has an Ego like NYR coach Torterelli and likes rilling the WPG fans...... if the bad calls persisted and it costs us the game..... maybe a group Ref you suck chant would be justified.........at the end of the game......Timming is important

Last edited:

Tdoe42

Jun 7, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Winnipeg fans are known for being really sharp and coming up with smart, witty chants. It's kind of cool to have a reputation like that.

"Crosby's Better" was awesome because it made a fantastic point in 4 quick syllables. But it didn't really make much of an appearance the last two games because it's been done.

"Ref you suck" is great if the ref is wrong. You don't start chanting that after a correct call, it looks stupid.

We want to pride ourselves as the best crowd in the league. Part of that is knowing when to heckle the refs, or the opponent goalie. Another (bigger?) part is knowing when not to. We've had a tough time with this lately.

I love the chants, I just think it would be great if we were a bit more clever about them. What I think we SHOULD be doing is coming up with "Crosby's Better" level chants and somehow seeding them into the MTS Centre so we really get some attention throughout the league.

We Thought he was calling a penalty on the hit for **** Sakes... Drop it!!

Tdoe42

Jun 7, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Yeah I figure 80% of the crowd initially thought it was a soft boarding or roughing call.

Im in 311 right behind the net where it happened and I didnt see the High stick till the Replay and everyone around me even said "Yeah thats a penalty" once they saw it

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
Im in 311 right behind the net where it happened and I didnt see the High stick till the Replay and everyone around me even said "Yeah thats a penalty" once they saw it

Pretty much. Lots of booing and "ref you suck" chants until the replay showed it. Everyone in our section kinda went "oh, okay".

On the OP - Chants and booing against the refs is standard in most NHL arenas. Deal with it.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Without the benefit of commentary and television camera angles, I'd say the average fan in attendance doesn't really know why a ref's arm goes up until the replay and/or announcement. And if they're ornery, they're gonna boo.

Prot

Sep 21, 2011
I think one of my favorite parts of going to a game is the atmosphere. Sometimes it is even a little nasty for me. Booing the team is probably borderline for me, but I understand why people do it.

In any other case I'm as vocal as nearly any other (sober) fan. It's a BIG part of the atmosphere.

This leads us to an interesting time of transition. There are still MANY people at these games who are there simply to say 'Hey I was at the Jets game last night'.

They have tickets too, and they're allowed to be there but it's clear the atmosphere bothers them.

Here's a perfect example: we all pretty much have season or half season tickets so we are all quite familiar with each other. My row is somewhat rowdy, the row behind me, very rowdy. The row in front of me is tea sippers.

The row in front of me is constantly texting security, and 'telling' on the row behind me. Some people in particular constantly give an 'evil eye' to the 'hooligans' behind me. It doesn't work. The Hooligans remain loud, and proud, but don't curse. Security used to come up 2 times a game. It's now down to 1 time every game, every other game. (They don't remove you for being loud or cheering.)

Those tea sippers sell a LOT of their seats now. They still hold on to their prized possession tickets, but man they sell a lot of them. When they do come to the game, it's always awkward... for them.

This is a time of transition. I think if you want to sip tea, knit a nice little doily while listening to your tube radio, that is perfectly fine. Just do not come into this arena expecting a high brow 'theatre' crowd with monocles and walking scepters. Wrong venue!!!

Short version: Don't like it? Consider selling your tickets. I'd MUCH rather have it the way it is, and see the tee sippers move on to a more comfortable venue for them than be stuck in a row of golf clappers. The problem is it is still VERY cool to have the coveted tickets, so they won't give them up, even if they sell half of them and are actually annoyed at the games they do attend.

MTSC: Remain loud and proud.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
The reffing this year has been atrocious & many referees need to go see their optometrist.:shakehead
The chant is well deserved in my opinion.

I do agree that there are way too many fans in the lower bowl that are only at the game just to say that they were there.
They are usually playing with their phones the entire game & get easily annoyed when true fans cheer too loudly.

Tea sippers is a suiting name for this uppity self entitled crowd of people.

castle

Dec 2, 2011
Australia
The reffing this year has been atrocious & many referees need to go see their optometrist.:shakehead
The chant is well deserved in my opinion.

I do agree that there are way too many fans in the lower bowl that are only at the game just to say that they were there.
They are usually playing with their phones the entire game & get easily annoyed when true fans cheer too loudly.

Tea sippers is a suiting name for this uppity self entitled crowd of people.

I'm way up top in the upper bowl. I have to admit that the lower bowl tea sippers are paying the lion's portion of the bill. One that I couldn't afford except maybe once or twice a year. So, I'll give them props for that. I'll have my fun in the upper bowl. And based on my experience last year (phoenix, buffalo, and boston in the lowers) people are having a lot more fun in the upper bowl (except for the Boston game in December, that was a party everywhere).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad