Injury Report: Redmond taken to hospital after skate cut - [UPDATE]: Out for season

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Quarts are pretty close to litres. So he lost at least 20% of his blood.

You also have to consider he's a professional athlete, and was working hard at the time. He would lose blood a lot faster cutting a serious vein than a normal human.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
The trainers were in the dressing room. From what I gather, it happened on the ice with only a few players. At least one player attended to his wound via makeshift methods, while another went to the locker room to get help.

That being said, we don't know if the trainers came with tourniquets and quikclot. We just know that the players on the ice reacted fast and used whatever was needed.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I wonder why trainers aren't equipped with actual tourniquets and quickclot. (EDIT: Or maybe they do have something)

We had both while I was in the military and it would just be good sense to have them on hand if something like this ever came up again. :dunno:

http://ctoms.ca/products/quikclot(r)-combat-gauze-trauma-pad
http://ctoms.ca/products/combat-application-tourniquet(r)

Well, you can't casually wear a tourniquet during practice. A jacket was likely the first thing handy.

RECCE

The Dog House
Apr 29, 2010
Margaritaville
Well, you can't casually wear a tourniquet during practice. A jacket was likely the first thing handy.

Neither did we and I'm not advocating every player wearing them, I'm saying that the trainers should have them in their "big bag of tricks" or have them accessible on them if required to use them. Not a daunting task if you ask me.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
The technical medical stuff....

Class I Hemorrhage involves up to 15% of blood volume. There is typically no change in vital signs and fluid resuscitation is not usually necessary.

Class II Hemorrhage involves 15-30% of total blood volume. A patient is often tachycardic (rapid heart beat) with a narrowing of the difference between the systolic and diastolic blood pressures. The body attempts to compensate with peripheral vasoconstriction. Skin may start to look pale and be cool to the touch. The patient may exhibit slight changes in behavior. Volume resuscitation with crystalloids (Saline solution or Lactated Ringer's solution) is all that is typically required. Blood transfusion is not typically required.

Class III Hemorrhage involves loss of 30-40% of circulating blood volume. The patient's blood pressure drops, the heart rate increases, peripheral hypoperfusion (shock), such as capillary refill worsens, and the mental status worsens. Fluid resuscitation with crystalloid and blood transfusion are usually necessary.

Class IV Hemorrhage involves loss of >40% of circulating blood volume. The limit of the body's compensation is reached and aggressive resuscitation is required to prevent death.

Redmond was in the Class II range and quickly going into very serious territory without immediate help. Regardless it was nasty.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Neither did we and I'm not advocating every player wearing them, I'm saying that the trainers should have them in their "big bag of tricks" or have them accessible on them if required to use them. Not a daunting task if you ask me.

To me, it's a non issue at this point. It wouldn't have changed the outcome of the situation, and they probably would've wasted precious seconds to apply the tourniquet.

Aerial

Oct 14, 2011
Heartbreaking. Really enjoyed seeing Redmond up this year, he obviously worked SO hard for this moment in his career, what an awful freaky way to have it put on pause. But it could have been worse, so I'm so thankful he's okay.

Apparently it was Miettinen's skate, according to Ken Wiebe on Twitter -- Mittens went to visit him in the hospital yesterday. Wish there was a way to send Mittens some good vibes too.

RECCE

The Dog House
Apr 29, 2010
Margaritaville
So then it's quite likely that they had something other than Pearn's jacket to apply pressure to the wound. As I said, his jacket was likely the first thing handy.

So, if I'm reading your responses correct, you see no need for tourniquets to be in a trainers bag or on their person because they could just find whatever is handy?

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
So, if I'm reading your responses correct, you see no need for tourniquets to be in a trainers bag or on their person because they could just find whatever is handy?

Where do you see me saying that? I said that Pearn's jacket was likely the first thing handy. Do you know what is stocked in a trainer's medical kit? You're the one questioning their absence when there is no evidence that they didn't use one.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Well never mind, they just mentioned on TSN 1290 that it was Miettenens skate that cut him. Apparently they will have the trainer and Miettenen on the radio soon.

RECCE

The Dog House
Apr 29, 2010
Margaritaville
Where do you see me saying that? I said that Pearn's jacket was likely the first thing handy. Do you know what is stocked in a trainer's medical kit? You're the one questioning their absence when there is no evidence that they didn't use one.

What I'm doing is bandying about the idea of having equipment in trainer's bags because from the reporting that I've seen so far is that everyone involved did a great job handling the situation with what was readily available.

That said, yes, I am wondering why there was no mention of a tourniquet other than a jacket.

As well, all I wanted to confirm was your stance on having that piece of equipment stocked within the trainer's arsenal.

How about I pose the question this way; If they have no purpose built tourniquet in their bag, do you think they should?

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
The trainer on 1290 said Redmond stayed conscious through the whole thing, which is very important. However he was pale, heart rate was weak, and he was thirsty indicating he lost a lot of blood and the situation was close to being grave.

Femoral artery was severed completely and needed a patch job from somewhere else, his femoral vein was clipped and needed repairs, as well as a third vein. The trainer basically said every main blood vessel in the leg was damaged.

Three guys were on his leg, while two other addressed oxygen and the back stretcher.

Around 1-1.5L of blood on the ice.

Back in the Bigs

and lovin' it !!
Oct 17, 2006
In 95, I think it was the Jets season opener after the first lockout, the Jets were playing Anaheim. Keith Tkachuk collided with a Duck right in front of the benches and both players went down. I was excuited because, well, Tkachuk was crazy in those days and I thought there would be a fight. The Duck player got up and then fell to his knees. Keith's skate had cut his wrist. Blood squirted out about 10 feet, going every where and there was a collective "Aaaaahhhh" from the crowd. They ran him right into the Jets dressing room - I forget his name but he was out for over a year with nerve damage. The spent about 10 minutes cleaning the blood off the ice and boards. The game was a real downer after that, you could tell the players on both teams did not want to be out there after what had happened. Made me sick to my stomach to see it live.

yes, here's a video on that one...always a very scary situation.....

***** OK, I screwed that up - anybody!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe_XSrXxYkM

Zach is extremely fortunate people reacted as quickly as they did ...wow

Last edited by a moderator:

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
What I'm doing is bandying about the idea of having equipment in trainer's bags because from the reporting that I've seen so far is that everyone involved did a great job handling the situation with what was readily available.

That said, yes, I am wondering why there was no mention of a tourniquet other than a jacket.

As well, all I wanted to confirm was your stance on having that piece of equipment stocked within the trainer's arsenal.

How about I pose the question this way; If they have no purpose built tourniquet in their bag, do you think they should?

It's quite likely they do have something to that effect in their trainer bag. Just because there was no mention of a tourniquet being used doesn't mean that one wasn't used. A blood soaked jacket paints a more compelling narrative for the readers. These are journalists, after all.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.

Tourniquet's cause alot of harm to the limb, including ALOT of tissue damage. It's probably preferable to death, but when your dealin with a professional athlete...it's preferable to not cause extensive damage.

I was in the military myself...and I can tell you that quikclot is purely an army thing. Hospitals don't even have it.

And quickclot is designed for gun shot wounds and stabbings. I'm not to sure how useful it would be for an arterial bleed like that.

RECCE

The Dog House
Apr 29, 2010
Margaritaville
It's quite likely they do have something to that effect in their trainer bag. Just because there was no mention of a tourniquet being used doesn't mean that one wasn't used. A blood soaked jacket paints a more compelling narrative for the readers. These are journalists, after all.

I couldn't say either way.

If they have no purpose built tourniquet in their bag, do you think they should?

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I couldn't say either way.

If they have no purpose built tourniquet in their bag, do you think they should?

No. Unless they actually know how to use the god damn thing. And even at that, alot of health care professionals are loath to use them. They almost cause as much harm as good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad