Red Wings draft review 2023

Emmitt Detroit gm

May 19, 2023
1st Round Pick 25: Jayden Perron, Chicago Steel
Jayden Perron was always the target for me with a first round pick as many of you may know I was rapidly negotiating with numerous teams for a first. Now why did I want Perron? Perron His a smaller player which he will need to add some weight during his time at the University of North Dakota but the upside was to high for me to pass up on. As in all my viewings of him he stood out in every way and looks like he has the future of being a top 6 point producing winger as he is a difference maker with skill and creativity.

2nd Round pick 58: Timur Mukhanov
Timur was at the top of my list to select with this second round pick I even considered moving up for him as some scouting outlets have him in the late first early second. Timur is a great skating forward one of the best in his league he is also great in his own zone which is something uncommon for young prospects in Russia. Once again his one weakness is bein 5 foot 8 but as per my previous pick I dont see that as an issue because if they are good enough they will make the NHL. Timur has already has experience playing in a mens league as he played most of the season in the VHL producing 8 points in 31 games. Timur has potential to develop into a top six NHL forward with very high hockey IQ and already above average skating even if he cant make it in a NHL top six he will be a productive middles six forward.

3rd Round pick 80 : Jayson Shaugabay
I wasnt aware of Jayson as a prospect until one of my scouts advised me about him and upon reading and watching him I instantly fell in love with the prospect. Jayson is one of the better playmakers available outside of the first round in this draft he loves having the puck on his stick and is one of the premium facilitators in the draft. The common theme of this draft was taking undersized players and I did this once again Taking Shaugabay who is 5 foot 9 153lbs but he has time to add weight as he is going to the University of Minnesota Duluth next season. Another Interesting point on this prospect is that he played at the same high school T.J Oshie played his high school hockey at and produced eerily similar numbers.

4th Round pick 114 : Mathew Mania
All That I am going to say about Mania is that he shouldnt of been available at this pick, The reason he is one of the top offensive D men in this draft with exceptional skating ability and has potential to be a 60 point defender at the NHL level. He just needs to round out his defensive game.

5th Round Pick 129: Yegor Klimovich
Another undersized skilled forward I drafted the MHL was just to easy for him as he dominated the competition posting 49 points in 36 games. This production is comparable to recent first and 2nd round picks from the MHL. Along with his production Klimovich also has exceptional skating ability often the fastest on the ice.

5th round pick 143: Beckett Hendrickson
Hendrickson is one of the most intelligent two way players that this draft had to offer he also has pretty good offensive skills. Hendrickson is one of the best all around player this draft has and he has more time to refine his offensive skills during his time at the University Of Minnesota His floor is a solid middle six winger but he has potential to be a top 6 winger with power play time.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Lots of talent for a first draft! I tend too lean away from the smaller forwards - though I was talked into taking one this year too - but Perron is also very very smart. Mania and Hendrickson were players I liked later as well. I'm not all the way there on Mania's skating as exceptional, but the potential is definitely exciting.

Reactions: MatthewFlames

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
Mania was in consideration for my pick at the end of the 3rd and right near the top of my day 2 list. I like the value there.

First HFNHL draft in the books...well done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad