GDT: Red Wings @ Blackhawks - 12:30 -NBC

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, OK Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Not a big fan of Eddie O but as a Chicagoan he definitely tempers himself on National broadcasts, I can't listen to Pat Foley and Eddie O call a game on CSN.

Mickey is an incredible homer, he knows it, we know it.

Ken Daniels is an awesome national broadcaster when in that role.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I'm no fan of Olczyk either.
And I get the difference between a national and local broadcast.

But it's funny hearing guys who don't seem to mind Ken and Mickey being 100 percent homers complain about the "journalistic standards" of a national broadcast team.
If you understand the difference between a local and national broadcast, I don't get what's funny. Of course a local broadcast is going to be biased.

Olczyk was good today. In the past on NBC games he was soooo biased you could almost picture him wearing a Blackhawks sweater as he called the game.

And I'm not saying Redmond isn't a homer. It's why he's not calling nationally televised games.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
But it's funny hearing guys who don't seem to mind Ken and Mickey being 100 percent homers complain about the "journalistic standards" of a national broadcast team.
Ken and Mickey don't constantly promote a decade-long conspiracy that one team has mastered the art of subtle interference.

These types of comments are unprofessional to make on any broadcast, especially a national one.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Local broadcast: homerism is fine, expected, possibly even encouraged.
National broadcast: homerism shows a clear bias on what should be a neutral platform; it is unprofessional and annoying.
I am not sure why our local crew of Ken and Mick were brought into this discussion at all. We watch them on Fox Sports Detroit (not on NBC), and yes, they are homers. Shocking.
Nothing to do with a national broadcast game on the NBC network; goodness, it really makes the game less enjoyable - I was ready to watch the game on mute until I saw that Ray Ferraro was between the benches.

Love seeing Petr the Goalie with the SO, hoping this is a start of a run of good play for him. Get the old confidence and swagger back. Fun game to watch for the most part, glad to see that Eddie O. seems and sounds healthy, hoping the best for he and Pierre, but I'd love to see more Ferraro.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Ken and Mickey don't constantly promote a decade-long conspiracy that one team has mastered the art of subtle interference.

These types of comments are unprofessional to make on any broadcast, especially a national one.

Agreed, not to mention that a team's broadcasters are supposed to broadcast from their team's perspective, unlike national broadcasters who's job's are to remain impartial and give a neutral opinion which Olczyk does not do.

benusmc

Feb 11, 2008

Why did the LA social media crew post that?

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Local broadcast: homerism is fine, expected, possibly even encouraged.
National broadcast: homerism shows a clear bias on what should be a neutral platform; it is unprofessional and annoying.

I get that.
But the end result is, Red Wings fans are crying because they don't have announcers worshiping their winged wheel.

The guys bitching about the National Broadcast have no problem whatsoever with bias if they perceive it's for their own team.

So maybe, just maybe, they're sensing bias where bias doesn't exist. Maybe, after watching Daniels and Redmond do 70 games a year, any broadcast that isn't totally 100 percent in the bag for the home team sounds like it's biased for the other team.

Personally, if I have the option (like when the Red Wings play on HNIC) I choose the national broadcast every time.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I get that.
But the end result is, Red Wings fans are crying because they don't have announcers worshiping their winged wheel.

The guys *****ing about the National Broadcast have no problem whatsoever with bias if they perceive it's for their own team.

So maybe, just maybe, they're sensing bias where bias doesn't exist. Maybe, after watching Daniels and Redmond do 70 games a year, any broadcast that isn't totally 100 percent in the bag for the home team sounds like it's biased for the other team.

Personally, if I have the option (like when the Red Wings play on HNIC) I choose the national broadcast every time.
Maybe, just maybe, the nbc announcers are godawful and everyone knows it but you.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I get that.
Nobody is saying that.

I'm curious how often you have watched a CHI/DET broadcast with Eddie'O doing color? This goes back to 2009.

Reactions: Konnan511

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I get that.

The guys *****ing about the National Broadcast have no problem whatsoever with bias if they perceive it's for their own team.

Ya I dont think so, a bit of a reach IMO. This isnt about a broadcast team being "anti wings" its about one particular announcer who is over the top when it comes to the Hawks, he does this regardless of who they are facing. As far as HNIC, agreed, those guys are awesome.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
I get that.

Redmond and Daniels > the regular NBC announcers all day long and twice on Sunday. As big homers as you claim they are, they actually call the game as they see it. You'll hear some justification for things that are currently frowned upon on this board, but the games themselves are called very fairly. The NBC crew, on the other hand, are very pro Pittsburgh and Chicago. It's not even subtle and it's not just RW fans who see it.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Missed the game. Nice shutout win against Shitcago. Was Mrazek tested a lot? Didn't look like it from the replays.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
To somewhat explain Pierre, I think he is just that much of an excited dorky guy. But I don't really find that to be as reasonable an excuse when he is ruining my hockey enjoyment with some of his calls.

Dorky? I think there are times where he's just flat out weird. Like a more uncomfortable John Madden. I've never really understood how he got a job doing big broadcasts when he seems to add so little.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Missed the game. Nice shutout win against ****cago. Was Mrazek tested a lot? Didn't look like it from the replays.

Not really. Wings didn't allow great opportunities and very few second opportunities.
To Mrazek's credit - not many juicy rebounds.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Dorky? I think there are times where he's just flat out weird. Like a more uncomfortable John Madden. I've never really understood how he got a job doing big broadcasts when he seems to add so little.

He's knowledgeable and animated. You'd be surprised how hard it is to find former hockey guys who can perform in front of a camera. Look at how stale toast Osgood has been on a regular basis. That said, you're absolutely right, they could and should find better.

My favorite Daryl "Razor" Reaugh gets some national gigs time to time.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
He's knowledgeable and animated. You'd be surprised how hard it is to find former hockey guys who can perform in front of a camera. Look at how stale toast Osgood has been on a regular basis. That said, you're absolutely right, they could and should find better.

My favorite Daryl "Razor" Reaugh gets some national gigs time to time.

I think Osgood can be quite funny actually if he has the right person to play off of. I used to always find his interviews with Cabbie good for a laugh.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Missed the game. Nice shutout win against ****cago. Was Mrazek tested a lot? Didn't look like it from the replays.
He surely didn't have to steal the game. He made the big saves when called upon and did a good job swallowing the puck on a lot of the shots.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I thought Eddie O was surprisingly docile yesterday, but the play from "his team" was probably what lent to it. I'm still warming up to Doc, since it's hard for me to replace those ESPN/ABC games with Thorne/Clement and Engblom/Davidson/etc.... Ferraro was excellent.

As far as Pierre, I used to despise him until I met him in real life. Now I just laugh, remembering the encounter. A girl I was dating at the time scored some tickets for the Easter 2013 game against the Hawks (where the Wings got trounced 7-1, and the program had a Q/A with Kent Huskins who had been traded to the Flyers the day before...). The tickets came with access to the "Olympia Room", which offered the ability to enter/exit the Joe from some weird back door. We left through that exit after the game, where my female companion proceeded to dart into oncoming traffic without looking. There was only one car coming, a very Enterprise Rental looking Chevy Equinox that had to hit its brakes. I looked over to see if the driver was angry, but instead immediately recognized Pierre as the passenger. Myself, said female companion and some inebriated friends of hers we ran into ran over to meet Pierre. I vividly remember that the gold frames of his glasses were remarkably shiny and expensive looking. He and the driver seemed to be in a hurry, so the chat was brief. It ended with one of the inebriated dudes saying something along the lines of "drive safe", which Pierre responded to in the fashion of one of those "Thug Life" videos. I can't exactly remember what he said, but it followed him excitedly (like talking about Sidney Crosby excited) chuckling as he raised and lightly shook a cold tall boy (I want to say it was Coors). They then sped off. I gained an unwavering respect for Pierre that day. Unfortunately the photographic evidence remained with the ex...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad