Salary Cap: Red Wings 2024-25 - next season cap discussion

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
Raymond surely will want more than 7 a year?
Ya 0% chance he signs 7x7

It would be a steal if he signs 7.75-7.95 if yzerman works sone magic but with the cap going up and his clear emergence I'd say it'll end up 8-8.5

Since were in a cap world I hope I'm wrong

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
There is no way if Kane leaves Yzerman isn't going to replace his production. There's always wingers available. Rest easy. We have plenty of moveable contracts, Maatta being most likely. We'll at least get a Tarasenko or Toffoli.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
This is completely false. We need to move some contracts to challenge for a playoff spot next year. Not saying Copp needs to go, and it is very unlikely that he does, but a few needs to go.

Gonna have to use 2-3 rookies next year, and just hope they will be ready.

Pushing for playoffs and adding multiple rookies at same time, isn't the winning combo. It's maybe the BIGGEST LIE in hockey message boards

Only rookies at next year will be Edvinsson and Berggren, and other roster holes will be filled with some short-term UFAs, just like at last summer.

Then some kids will get their NHL taste at some point of the season. Like Kasper, Mazur, Wallinder, Johansson etc. But I'm very very sceptical there will be a big amount of them. Yzerman does not work or build that way. Danielson could do a surprise, straight from the camp, but most probably he will go to GR.

Rookies aren't the answer for success. Pretty much on the opposite ways. Proven players are the ones you need for a playoff push.

Which current playoff team has a big bunch of young kids? Thinks there's ZERO example.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
Pushing for playoffs and adding multiple rookies at same time, isn't the winning combo. It's maybe the BIGGEST LIE in hockey message boards

Only rookies at next year will be Edvinsson and Berggren, and other roster holes will be filled with some short-term UFAs, just like at last summer.

Then some kids will get their NHL taste at some point of the season. Like Kasper, Mazur, Wallinder, Johansson etc. But I'm very very sceptical there will be a big amount of them. Yzerman does not work or build that way. Danielson could do a surprise, straight from the camp, but most probably he will go to GR.

Rookies aren't the answer for success. Pretty much on the opposite ways. Proven players are the ones you need for a playoff push.

Which current playoff team has a big bunch of young kids? Thinks there's ZERO example.
First of all, neither Ed or Berggren are rookies next season.

Second, you missed my point. We don't have cap space to compete for a playoff spot next season if we don't move out contracts. We have multiple spots to fill, and we don't have much left after Seider and Raymond are signed.

So as for these proven players you ask for? Can't really afford them.

Reactions: norrisnick

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Any thoughts on what y'all think will happen with Veleno?

He had a great start to the season but faded badly. It'll be interesting to see how Yzerman handles his RFA negotiations. He's a bird in hand but when Lalonde shortened his bench during games Veleno was usually the first casualty.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway

He had a great start to the season but faded badly. It'll be interesting to see how Yzerman handles his RFA negotiations. He's a bird in hand but when Lalonde shortened his bench during games Veleno was usually the first casualty.
I think he'll be back. Cheap player and can surely play on the fourth line.

1.2M-1-4M maybe.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012

Second, you missed my point. We don't have cap space to compete for a playoff spot next season if we don't move out contracts. We have multiple spots to fill, and we don't have much left after Seider and Raymond are signed.

The cap is going up, and by most accounts it'll be between 4 and 5 million. I don't think it's unreasonable that we move out a contract like Holl or Fabbri with a pick to free up some cap space. Will we see a rookie in the forward group next year? I'd anticipate it, probably Kasper on the wing starting out in the middle six. We absolutely need some vet presence in a scoring line role. Stamkos would be absolutely ideal and I wouldn't have a problem giving him 3 years at all. Still a 40 goal scorer, just turned 34 and can play center. If I'm Yzerman, I'd prioritize signing him over Kane.

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023

curious myself. At this point he is what he is and I'm fine bringing someone else up.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
I think he'll be back. Cheap player and can surely play on the fourth line.

1.2M-1-4M maybe.

I could see it happening. He would be such an unremarkable 4th liner though. I still dream of the day the Wings have a grinding checking line that can forecheck and pin teams in their own end on some shifts.

Reactions: RRhoads

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Yeah, after resigning Seider/Raymond(assume both are 8 mill cap hits) Wings will have 10 million with 16 spots on a 23 man roster.(With no rookies on it yet).

Essentially 7 roster spots to fill.

Red Wings trade LHD Ollie Maata, F Robby Fabbri, F Marco Kasper, RFA Jonatan Berggren, 1st round pick.
Ducks trade F Trevor Zegras and the Ducks 3rd round pick. ( Saves 1.5 million )

Red Wings resign RHD Moritz Seider to a 8 year contract worth 64 million, 8 million per year.
Red Wings resign F Lucas Raymond to a 8 year contract worth 64 million, 8 million per year.
Red Wings sign F Sean Monahan to a 4 year contract worth 20 million, 5 million per year.
Red Wings sign RHD Matt Roy to a 4 year contract worth 14 million, 3.5 million per year.
Red Wings resign F Christian Fischer to a 2 year contract worth 2 million, 1 million per year.
Red Wings sign F Liam O’Brien to a 1 year minimum contract.
Red Wings resign F Austin Czarnik to a 1 year minimum contract.

Trevor Zegras – (C) Dylan Larkin – Lucas Raymond
Alex DeBrincat – J.T. Compher – Nate Danielson
Michael Rasmussen – Sean Monahan Carter Mazuer
Christian Fischer
– (A) Andrew Copp – Liam O’Brien

* Austin Czarnik

Jake Walman – Mortiz Seider
Simon Edvinsson – Matt Roy
(A) Ben Chiarot – Jeff Petry

* Justin Holl

Alex Lyon
Sebastian Cossa
Ville Husso *( Possible LTIR )*

Lol That took me awhile actually and I'm at work! But point was RR is sort of right in that moves will have to be made if you want to add talent outside of just young fellas, and some young fellas are really knocking on the door anyways while the teams against the cap. I highlighted 3 prospects I think can legitimately make it.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
There's 6M to be used for some player in the current cap situation.

If it's Kane, then be it. If it's Pesce then be it.

But for 22-man roster:

1. Larkin
2. DeBrincat
3. Raymond (7M)
4. Compher
5. Copp
6. Fabbri
7. Rasmussen
8. Perron (1.2M)
9. Berggren (1.4M)
10. Veleno (1.4M)
11. Fischer (1.2M)
12. Söderblom/other kid/Czarnik
13. "Czarnik"

1. Seider (8M)
2. Chiarot
3. Edvinsson
4. Walman
5. Petry
6. Määttä
7. Holl

1. Husso
2. Lyon

13+7+2 = 22man roster, and ~6M in cap space.
I think we need to clear up enough cap to add both a 2nd line forward and a 2nd pairing defenseman. Especially if Kane and/or Ghost doesn't come back. I think we should be able to do that. Some of those guys you have listed that are taking up cap are moveable.

I would target one of Toffoli/Teravainen/etc at forward and then a Pesce or Montour on defense. I woud work on clearing up the necessary cap to make those moves.

We need to find a way to make tangible upgrades to this roster.

Reactions: RRhoads

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
This is completely false. We need to move some contracts to challenge for a playoff spot next year. Not saying Copp needs to go, and it is very unlikely that he does, but a few needs to go.

Husso, although not sure who we can pick up. Stolarz?
Holl
Maatta

Husso can be bought out.
Holl can be traded with retaing and/or picks
Maatta should be traded
Maybe even Walman.

Gonna have to use 2-3 rookies next year, and just hope they will be ready.
I don't think SY will stray from his plan, the wings will be a bubble team the next year or two, he will jettison some contracts where he can and where it makes sense, if he can make the team stronger without interrupting his plan, he'll do it. The players he brought in on term are as much for character and work ethic as skill.

I can actually see Walman gone by the next TDL (maybe sooner), I don't think he is part of the long term and has a great trade value, I can see any of the elder D-Man moved if he can (except Petry).

The GR grads arriving next year will be ready after their Calder Cup run this year. SY is looking to build a Canes type team, he will have most the first stage backend complete and on the ice in 2-3 years time and they should be together for quite a while. Some will be moved as we just have too many, but we will have a great blueline and some good young goalies in place.

In another couple of years, it won't be playoffs or bust, it will be how long it takes the fresh core to gel to be that year-in / year-out cup contender, I think it will go pretty quick (4-5 years out) if the systems are the same on both teams, SY is building an organization, not just a one and done team.

I think we'll get a few surprises along the way, but they will be deals or steals, something like a trade with Calgary for Markstrom once they can't get a great price from someone else and the market is dry for that cap hit. I suspect Holl has the flames on NTC list, but if he wanted to play, they have a need for a few Vet RD...but short term plugs are just that, I think the serious pieces on trades/UFAs are yet to come.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
I could see it happening. He would be such an unremarkable 4th liner though. I still dream of the day the Wings have a grinding checking line that can forecheck and pin teams in their own end on some shifts.
We literally had this with Rass-Copp-Fischer when they weren’t used against other teams top lines

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023

I've always said veleno would be gone Soon and wouldnt be a longterm redwing. after seeing what Rasmussen got and having similar stats hes going to want at least around 2.5 per

I'd say hes as good as gone . Use him in a package deal for someone . Use him to drop from 15th pick to 11 or something. I think hes gone

On a side note I think pat kane is gone as well. I wont see he used us cause it benefitted both sides but he was probably looking at going to a place he'd get top 6 ice time to test his hip got to play with debrincat and now he'll go to a contender if i had to guess

If hes gone i deal debrincat and go after another high priced player who can play tough and produce . I'd even bring back bertuzzi if it's possible

I expect alot of changes this summer

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Im kinda unsure on whether Kane stays. Everyone says he will go to a legit contender, but I question what legit contenders have the money to pay him as well as give him term when they will also probably have to start paying a middle aged player they drafted or re-up a top end guy for money. Kane also won’t play in a non traditional hockey market based on what he said when he signed. So you are down to original 6 teams and the select few other passionate teams. Detroit May be in the best spot to sign him based on what they can offer financially, Ice time, and being a passionate hockey town, while also having the ability to really compete in the next say 3 years due to young ascending players, and the pipeline.

I think a lot of what Kane is saying is somewat of a negotiation in the media, I’m sure Steve wants to offher 2 years and Kane wants 3-4.

I also could be dead wrong on all this.

GarlicbreadTB

Apr 16, 2015
If Hawks get Celebrini(god forbid) he might go back there and mentor him and Bedard for a few seasons.

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
If Holl blocks a trade anywhere, he is a fool. He won't get playing time here. If he wants to play, he better take a trade. My guess is, if someone, anyone, wants him, the deal will go down.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
I thought new rules stated you can’t win #1 twice within 5 years?
"a team cannot win more than twice in a five-year period."

So they could absolutely get one more, also if they ever finish dead last and win 1st. That doesn't count as a lottery win since you would technically be picking where you are, so you stayed in your draft spot.

So if Sharks get Celebrini they can win the lotto twice after still.

Reactions: flychairman

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
We literally had this with Rass-Copp-Fischer when they weren’t used against other teams top lines

Sort of. They're not very physical though. Fischer is the only real component of a 4th line like that. Copp is solid defensively but isn't physical. Same with Ras.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
If Holl blocks a trade anywhere, he is a fool. He won't get playing time here. If he wants to play, he better take a trade. My guess is, if someone, anyone, wants him, the deal will go down.

He wouldn't but they won't.

They = NHL teams.

Won't = offer a trade.

The Wings will waive him, he'll go unclaimed, get bought out and some bottom feeder will offer him a double dip minimum pay contract. He'll take it.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007

Get ready for Sprong resigned and Ras-Compher-Tarasenko, Sprong-Copp-Fabbri middle six, according to some on this board.

baaaaaaaarf

Even Tarasenko is a stretch with our current cap structure.

If the Wings trade their first for a roster player at the draft they can attach a second in 2025 and someone will take Holl with 25% retention. It's about the same saving per season but half the duration.

1st, Berggren, 2nd, Holl to STL for Buchnevich. STL replaces Scandella with Holl for about a ~1 million saving. Scandella was often a healthy scratch in the second half of the season.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad