Red Mile Alert Thread

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
For those who do remember, in 2004 Calgary had the famous Red Mile after a 7 year hiatus. Well, it's been six years since we've made the playoffs and the fans are going to be rowdy as heck. For those who live outside of Calgary (still wished I lived there!!) I thought this would be a good thread to make to document 2015 Red Mile, if it happens.

I'd love updates on how the Red Mile works out this year! Even if we don't make it to the 2nd round, 17th Ave still has to be poppin!

Photos would be awesome, too! [MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

Aug 3, 2010
For those who do remember, in 2004 Calgary had the famous Red Mile after a 7 year hiatus. Well, it's been six years since we've made the playoffs and the fans are going to be rowdy as heck. For those who live outside of Calgary (still wished I lived there!!) I thought this would be a good thread to make to document 2015 Red Mile, if it happens.

I'd love updates on how the Red Mile works out this year! Even if we don't make it to the 2nd round, 17th Ave still has to be poppin!

Photos would be awesome, too! (just no boobies obviously :laugh:)

Should be wild. Not sure if the Flames are going to make the playoffs in the next 3 years, so it could even be one of the very last Red Mile events because of the proposed new arena locations.

Last edited by a moderator:

St Wardo

Registered Prophet
Oct 16, 2013
New Brunswick
Times like these where I wish I lived in Calgary :laugh: I'll try and get out to the bars in Saint John, but can't imagine I'll find many Flames fans

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I live right off 17th so I'm pretty stoked for the upcoming... frivolities :yo:

I was trying to think where the new "Heart of the Red Mile" would be with Melrose gone, maybe Ship & Anchor/National?

I drove down there last night (granted it was 1:30am) but it was a ghost town. I'm certain game days will be a different story though.

So if anyone wants to crash at my place throughout the run... the secret knock is three quick, two slow, three quick, then slide a slice of Pizza under the door. That way I'll know you're from HF and you're cool.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I was just about to start this thread, but for a different reason.

Anyone a little scared about this?

In 2004 the Red Mile just grew, and grew, and grew. So did the tension and actually the affect it had on businesses in the area (not in a good way). The massive crowds didn't equate to meaningful money-spending business, and there was always lots of cleanup to the streets and sidewalks afterward (not to mention some damage to business property).

Thankfully there were no Vancouver riots, but still, let's be honest, things were borderline out of control. Lots of nudity, general rowdiness (lots of testosterone) and public intoxication.

The city's grown quite a bit since 2004. The rif raff accumulating in and around 17th has also grown. Not only this, but there are legit security concerns over an Islamic extremist element resident in Calgary that could easily slip in and out of a huge and largely come-and-go, unregulated crowd. I mean, this is a legit concern.

I know I sound like an old turd, but I live fairly close to 17th Ave and even last night (Thursday) after the game I was hearing a lot of rowdiness (actually sounded like a fairly large fight or something) at like 2 am still from quite a few blocks away.

I got to be honest. I'd rather people celebrate on their way to their cars taking them to the burbs or in local bars and sidewalks on a more organic level. I'd rather that then some massive, frenzied crowd whose celebration level gets higher and higher as the Flames' success goes along. I'm kind of scared about it tbh.

Last edited:

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I live right off 17th so I'm pretty stoked for the upcoming... frivolities :yo:

I was trying to think where the new "Heart of the Red Mile" would be with Melrose gone, maybe Ship & Anchor/National?

I drove down there last night (granted it was 1:30am) but it was a ghost town. I'm certain game days will be a different story though.

So if anyone wants to crash at my place throughout the run... the secret knock is three quick, two slow, three quick, then slide a slice of Pizza under the door. That way I'll know you're from HF and you're cool.

I was still hearing quite a bit last night at 1:30. Or around then. It sounded like a group going along. Didn't see them but it could have been 5-10 guys trying to make a bigger racket than they were so maybe not much was happening. I was trying to sleep lol.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

In 2004 the Red Mile just grew, and grew, and grew. So did the tension and actually the affect it had on businesses in the area (not in a good way). The massive crowds didn't equate to meaningful money-spending business, and there was always lots of cleanup to the streets and sidewalks afterward (not to mention some damage to business property).

Thankfully there were no Vancouver riots, but still, let's be honest, things were borderline out of control. Lots of nudity, general rowdiness (lots of testosterone) and public intoxication.

The city's grown quite a bit since 2004. The rif raff accumulating in and around 17th has also grown. Not only this, but there are legit security concerns over an Islamic extremist element resident in Calgary that could easily slip in and out of a huge and largely come-and-go, unregulated crowd. I mean, this is a legit concern.

I know I sound like an old turd, but I live fairly close to 17th Ave and even last night (Thursday) after the game I was hearing a lot of rowdiness (actually sounded like a fairly large fight or something) at like 2 am still from quite a few blocks away.

I got to be honest. I'd rather people celebrate on their way to their cars taking them to the burbs or in local bars and sidewalks on a more organic level. I'd rather that then some massive, frenzied crowd whose celebration level gets higher and higher as the Flames' success goes along. I'm kind of scared about it tbh.

You kind of had me agreeing with you until the bolded. This is just silly. You know what creates large unregulated crowds every single year? Stampede. If that was a legitimate concern then we should probably curtail stampede crowds/drinking as well shouldn't we.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site

Meh, I believe in the Calgary fans.

We're NOT Vancouver :nod:

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011

I tend to agree with your last part. I've experienced the best part of the Red Mile and it was glorious. But I'm not 20 anymore so I'm ok not piling into the streets.

I don't know that we're going to see the same volumes of people packing the streets as we did then. I feel like this city has become more hipster than a decade ago and we'll likely see the sort of celebration we saw after the 2010 Olympic Gold medal game. Sidewalks were packed but traffic was still flowing. Series clinching games may be different though and the closer to the SCF you go, obviously the more you will see, it is inevitable. But I don't see this city capable of burning itself to the ground like Vancouver (I hope)

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
You kind of had me agreeing with you until the bolded. This is just silly. You know what creates large unregulated crowds every single year? Stampede. If that was a legitimate concern then we should probably curtail stampede crowds/drinking as well shouldn't we.

Agreed. That's just a bizarre level of fearmongering.

Besides, since the original red mile, the police presence has been rather large after playoff games. At one point, if I recall correctly, the mayor's office even had to tell the police to ease up a little.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West

I'm not trying to fear monger or sound like an idiot - so my apologies.

But to suggest that the crowds at the Stampede are unregulated is not accurate at all. Everyone has to go through turnstiles and bags are checked upon entry. There is a large security and police presence at the gates.

I think it's naive to think there isn't some legitimacy to the concern though honestly it wasn't the major point of my post. Seriously, every game is scheduled and there is the potential for 28 of these nights (though the majority of celebrations occur after wins) of Red Mile. It would be extremely easy to plan around this. This is a reality in 2015.

Last edited:

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I tend to agree with your last part. I've experienced the best part of the Red Mile and it was glorious. But I'm not 20 anymore so I'm ok not piling into the streets.

I don't know that we're going to see the same volumes of people packing the streets as we did then. I feel like this city has become more hipster than a decade ago and we'll likely see the sort of celebration we saw after the 2010 Olympic Gold medal game. Sidewalks were packed but traffic was still flowing. Series clinching games may be different though and the closer to the SCF you go, obviously the more you will see, it is inevitable. But I don't see this city capable of burning itself to the ground like Vancouver (I hope)

Glad to see you got the gist of my post. I hope you are right.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Agreed. That's just a bizarre level of fearmongering.

Besides, since the original red mile, the police presence has been rather large after playoff games. At one point, if I recall correctly, the mayor's office even had to tell the police to ease up a little.

You two are giving me a complex with words like "silly" and "bizarre." It was just a minor concern that I'm sure police are contemplating anyway.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I dunno, I hope it gets crazier than 2004 personally. :dunno:

That run unified this city, the fanbase and IMO was an instrumental force of why we went so deep in the Ploffs. I've heard several former player share their accounts of that run and The Red Mile and each and every one gives me goosebumps. As a fan, I have no words to explain how that made me feel. The house parties during the week, the insane atmosphere at the Dome, the Red Mile was better than Mardi Gras. People from all over the world came here the following playoff years to experience it but it was never the same. I really hope it comes back bigger and better than ever before, I wouldn't let a few bad apples ruin what so many enjoyed.

Last edited:

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I'm not trying to fear monger or sound like an idiot - so my apologies.

But to suggest that the crowds at the Stampede are unregulated is not accurate at all. Everyone has to go through turnstiles and bags are checked upon entry. There is a large security and police presence at the gates.

I think it's naive to think there isn't some legitimacy to the concern though honestly it wasn't the major point of my post. Seriously, every game is scheduled and there is the potential for 28 of these nights (though the majority of celebrations occur after wins) of Red Mile. It would be extremely easy to plan around this. This is a reality in 2015.

Yes, and I see the point of the gist of your post. Hopefully there is a large police presence on 17th, but I also hope they act with restraint.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad