Recalling a bad Sharks memory...

Owen

Roster Guru
Sep 13, 2003
I need some help on this... Does anyone remember when the Sharks were playing the Avalanche and were called for a tripping penalty when the nearest Shark was 10-15 feet away from the alleged trip? Who was that? For some reason I'm thinking Rob Blake was involved on either side, though I partially think perhaps Blake was called and Adam Foote was the one who fell on his own.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Uh, game six vs. Colorado in 2010. Patrick Marleau on Adam Foote? Can't remember if it was tripping or interference...

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
That's not my bad memory of the Sharks..... playoff loss to the Kings in 4 straight is mine. It still stings somewhat.

Mar 12, 2008
SF Bay Area
THIS - That's not my bad memory of the Sharks..... playoff loss to the Kings in 4 straight is mine. It still stings somewhat.

AND THIS - Bad memory? Selanne wraparound miss..

AND THIS - Garpenlov crossbar in 93-94 2nd round vs TML

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
That was a fight over a puck heading to icing.

So glad they've got some new rules and the hybrid icing since then.
But Sturm was well past him. He should have conceded and not had his stick where he did. It was a gutless play by a guy who had his share of questionable hits in his career.

sturm_und_drang

Aug 2, 2005
Sunnyvale
My bad memory involving Colorado and a trip is Foote cowardly breaking Sturm's leg.

Yup, chasing down an icing, they arrived pretty much simultaneously, Foote fished for the puck between Sturm's legs..."inadvertently" tripped Sturm so that his leg went into the boards at about 100 mph and bounced away with his foot/ankle at an unnatural angle to each other. Sturm was never as fast after that, and, despite some highlight reel plays for the Bruins, was injured too often to ever re-establish himself in the NHL...so much wasted potential...

:cry:

Edit: just saw Lady Stanley's and Clowe Me's posts...all valid points...reffing standards were different then and refs seemed to be more worried about having too big of an impact on the game if they called something, somehow not thinking it through...I mean, wasn't the Sharks losing Sturm for the rest of the game at (least) as big an impact as Foote being thrown out of the game? The "attempt to injure" rule has been around at least since I was a kid, I've long wished the league would just tell the refs to err on the side of caution and call that when they see it...better to have players missing games when it only looked like they were trying to kill someone, than to lose so much great talent and deprive both the players affected and the fans of seeing the beauty of the game we all love...

/rant

Last edited:

Owen

Roster Guru
Sep 13, 2003
Uh, game six vs. Colorado in 2010. Patrick Marleau on Adam Foote? Can't remember if it was tripping or interference...

Thanks! This was probably it, though I can't view the highlights of that game since the new NHL.com and NHL.tv are completely useless.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
lol, ask about a specific incident in sharks history, end up hosting therapy session

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Thanks! This was probably it, though I can't view the highlights of that game since the new NHL.com and NHL.tv are completely useless.

Glad to be of help.

Interference...

If you say so. I think it was called tripping but changed to interference. The broadcasters were guffawing about the change.

Evil Janney

Jul 12, 2004
I recall one with Mike Ricci.

The opposing team's player was moving the puck away from the boards, Ricci applied some pressure on the forecheck, never made contact whatsoever, but the opposing team's player just lost his balance and slipped.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
The awesome killing of a 5-3 against the Oilers in the PO's and then they immediately scored. Feel like one of the most awesome experiences at the tank ended up being the turning point in the series. Typical Sharks :(

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
Cheechoo hitting the post game 3 overtime vs oilers in 2006. We headed to nothing lead in that series and after that loss we lost four straight. We were going to be the number one seed through the west that year. Because one through four all lost out and we were the fifth seed. If we get past that round maybe we do make it to the finals we had a strong team are Ross and rocket Richart what ar if we get past that round maybe we do make it to the finals we had a strong team thar years both Thornton cheech were on fire.

Also raffi railed Michalek it was the big series changersas well

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
The awesome killing of a 5-3 against the Oilers in the PO's and then they immediately scored. Feel like one of the most awesome experiences at the tank ended up being the turning point in the series. Typical Sharks :(

Loudest that place has ever been I don't care what anyone says. the tank was defending 5 rows from the ice. it had to be ear piercing in the upper deck.

Also, nobody is going to bring up the random puck bounce against the nucks?

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Loudest that place has ever been I don't care what anyone says. the tank was defending 5 rows from the ice. it had to be ear piercing in the upper deck.

I think you meant that the tank was "deafening", but instead did you mean to say that the Sharks fans were defending on that PK with their vocal support?

Also, nobody is going to bring up the random puck bounce against the nucks?

I think that random puck bounce did much to illuminate the propensity/bias fans have for their teams.

There were arguments made that year that the Sharks didn't win the cup due to that bounce. Forgetting that they had been down 3-1 in the series before that bad bounce. Forgetting that they had been leading that very game before allowing the tying goal. Forgetting that...I digress.

Instead of diagnosing and dissecting what was wrong with the Sharks, it was much easier to ascribe the end result to bad luck. Makes me wretch.

Hold the Pickles

Aug 16, 2003
03-K64

We didit... d'oh.

I wasn't too keen on the 1st round loss after winning the prez cup. I was telling everyone we got a bad draw and knew it was gonna be much tougher then everyone was expecting, but I didn't expect such an epic fail. I thought we had a chance that year and we play our worst possible match up in the 1st round.

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands

We won that game though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad