OT: Rebuilds and Rentals

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
As many of you are aware many of our contracts are coming up next year.
Ryan
Spezza
Anderson
MacArthur
Methot
With the value rentals got this trade deadline arent we kinda screwed if we want to blow it up?

Lundmark17

Mar 3, 2004
Looks like they will need to bust their butt to extend the players they want and then use the summer to make some trades. Vanek brought in a nice package (granted it was by Garth Snow) but I think if they are proactive they can get reasonable value. If Ryan isn't interested in staying, like Vanek in Buffalo/NYI, you trade him before the season starts. If we are lucky we get a similar player to Moulson.

Alfie#11

May 7, 2003
Visit site
As many of you are aware many of our contracts are coming up next year.
Ryan
Spezza
Anderson
MacArthur
Methot
With the value rentals got this trade deadline arent we kinda screwed if we want to blow it up?

Make the decisions this summer.

I would say the priorities have to be Ryan and Spezza and to a lesser extent Methot.

No top player is going to waste his time re-signing on a welfare team. Ryan and Spezza will get big contracts on more competitive teams. Methot isn't in the same league but quality defencemen command premiums in this league, so he will also likely see big money from a good team.

Anderson and MacArthur are quality players but no so good that they are guaranteed big bucks on the open market. They're more likely to sign a deal with a lesser team.

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010
Problem solved if they fire Murray. The guy is out of control and has no idea about what is best for this team.

Oct 10, 2010
We should spend and add , but that's not going to happen. We will likely make meaningless (cheap) changes this off-season.

We'll look to re-sign Ryan and Spezza - Don't think Ryan will be back though.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
We're screwed if we dont blow it up.

Basically.

This team won't win with Spezza, Michalek, Phillips, Neil as the leaders. Cause they either suck or they don't step up their games or both.

Two solutions:

We acquire skilled leaders like Callahan, Ladd to compensate for disgusting leadership core.

Or

We blow it up. and build with Ryan, MacArthur, Turris, Lazar, Karlsson, Methot as the new leadership veteran core.

If we get lucky, we get McDavid too or Eichel or whoever.

This team has no identity. If we keep adding in pieces we still will go NOWHERE. Either Murray goes hard after Callahan and Ladd and Ehrhoff or we take a year finishing the rebuild and start off better, stronger than before.

Fire Murray and hire Burke. Get cup in 2 years.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
this team just needs more experience

karlsson is too inconsistant , lehner isnt ready to be that elite goalie we hoped. Weir/Cowen/Ceci make some crazy mistakes leading to phillips playing a lot more than he should

Zibby is nowhere near taking over for spezza and i am not sure if turris can either.

just a lot of youth who are inexperienced and are learning some hard lessons

These hard lessons will hopefully payoff next year. Nothing to do with leadership. A guy like spezza as shown up big since coming back from injury. It seems the young guys can't handle the late grind of the season.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
this team just needs more experience

karlsson is too inconsistant , lehner isnt ready to be that elite goalie we hoped. Weir/Cowen/Ceci make some crazy mistakes leading to phillips playing a lot more than he should

Zibby is nowhere near taking over for spezza and i am not sure if turris can either.

just a lot of youth who are experienced and are learning some hard lessons

Very well said!!!

Now, answer me this...

By the time those guys DO get experience, where will the likes of Phillips, Ryan, Spezza, Neil, Michalek be?

Either retired or old or not on this team.

No excuse for Murray to not have made bigger more important moves like Ehrhoff or traded guys that are literally useless for us moving forward.

Trade the old guys out of here.

Build with the guys who are building experience and get key assets in return that'll also hit their prime with this young core, gain new identity and...

Watch the fireworks fly!

Spez

Feb 14, 2013
RKL honestly when will you finally realize it's Melnyk refusal to allow the team to spend to the cap that is holding the team back? You wouldn't be hearing all this talk about blowing things up because we'd be in a playoff spot if Murray wasn't being handcuffed. Burke wouldn't be able to do jack either in this situation. You think Burke could co-exist with Melnyk? Not a chance and Burke wouldn't even come here unless Melnyk gave him the green light to spend to the cap and to not meddle with him or the coaching staff. This team will not be a cup contender until we either get a new owner or Melnyk finally allows Murray or the next GM to finally have free reign to spend it on upgrades. We do need to ship a few players out but with the cap going up we're going to keep falling further and further behind unless we can spend more money.

Come to think of it I just think you're trolling with your comments anyways. It's clear you've gone insane from this season and you need to step away from the ledge with some of the comments you've made.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Very well said!!!

Now, answer me this...

By the time those guys DO get experience, where will the likes of Phillips, Ryan, Spezza, Neil, Michalek be?

Either retired or old or not on this team.

No excuse for Murray to not have made bigger more important moves like Ehrhoff or traded guys that are literally useless for us moving forward.

Trade the old guys out of here.

Build with the guys who are building experience and get key assets in return that'll also hit their prime with this young core, gain new identity and...

Watch the fireworks fly!

You need a vet presence in your lineup or you turn into the Oilers

Maclean was just talking today about how Ceci looks good in the NHL in part cause he plays with a guy like Phillips and has him to talk to about plays

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
You need a vet presence in your lineup or you turn into the Oilers

Maclean was just talking today about how Ceci looks good in the NHL in part cause he plays with a guy like Phillips and has him to talk to about plays

Not if your vet presence is the worst part of your team.

Alfredsson was the mentor and the heart of this team.

The leader, captain, spokesperson, model. He left, I'm pretty sure everyone can too.

Besides, Methot, Karlsson Turris and MacArthur play just as important prominent roles in terms of veteran presence than those guys do.

Keep Neil.

Look at what the Colts did in the NFL, got rid of their veteran and leader and become so much better for it. Completely different identity, much better one, the mid-older guys stepped up and became the true leaders and that team is rolling beautifully.

Time to do same in Ottawa.

Only difference is, that GM makes so much bold moves unlike Murray.

Bottom line.... JASON SPEZZA IS OUR PEYTON MANNING.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Manning left when the Colts had Luck in the bag.

Trade Spezza when we have McDavid in the bag?

Lol, that's the only flaw in my logic :(

I see it as Karlsson instead of McDavid.

To be honest, I'm torn.

I don't know if we should trade Spezza so we can get a high pick next year and draft McDavid or if we should trade Spezza and we may be worse and draft McDavid.

Or... we can trade Spezza for a 1st, therefore we have twice the chance of drafting for McDavid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad