Rebuild Status - # 1 Dman

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
That's a wild accusation. Please provide recent cases.
Pionk.png

jaywills1020

Mar 14, 2004
Yeah they're the same stats that also loves guys like Franson and Tom Gilbert.

I'm aware that they aren't the be all end all, but there is a thing called bad luck - DeAngelo suffered from it last year.

Ya'll gonna be shocked when he kills it this season.
Kills it??? I’m on the fence with him but there’s no way he’s gonna kill it. He’s not that good. I didn’t see him make one play where I said “oh s&!@ what a great play”

OrlandK

Oct 18, 2017
Westchester NY
The stats only seem OK if you don't factor in that ADA played extremely sheltered minutes. Just like Clendening and McIlrath. Huge factor when evaluating analytics.

Pronman is brilliant and objective. Try learning from him instead of dismissing the messenger because you don't like the message.

DeAngelo has been suffering from bad luck his entire career; or he just hasn't been good at hockey. Probably would be fine in a skills contest though. It's gap control and things of that nature that trip him up. That said there is always a chance that the light bulb will go off, that a new coaching staff will click with him, etc. And his last chance with the Rangers is this season so good luck to him.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I think the notion that the Rangers don't have a potential #1 D-man and that they need to make some substantial move to acquire one is putting the cart before the horse. Having Karlsson sign next summer would be all well and good, but he's basically a decade older than the crop of forward prospects that the team is hinging their future on (Chytil, Andersson, Kravtsov, etc.), and he would take up roughly 15% of the cap in UFA. It is going to take roughly half-a-decade for the aforementioned forward group to reach their full potential, and in that time I think there is a good chance that at least one among the current pipeline can develop/project to be a top-pairing defenseman by that point.

We all want the rebuild to be expedited by nature of instant gratification, but staying the course of some extended timeline gives the team a good chance of finding the defenseman every team wants, so long as the list of potential options remains lengthy. There are ten young defensemen in the system, IMO, who have varying potential to become top-four defensemen (Skjei, Rykov, Lundkvist, Pionk, DeAngelo, Hajek, Miller, Lundkvist, Keane, and Ragnarsson) and only one or two of them need to maintain an upward trajectory into the illusive top-pairing position. I think that there is a very good chance that this coming season will shift the narrative of the Rangers' defensive woes as certain prospects rise above their preconceived trajectory and project to be top-pairing players. If I had to guess, those players will be Rykov and Lundkvist, though the other eight have as good of a chance to project as top-four staples as the season wears on.

Aside from the future on defense - what if the Rangers sign Karlsson and then none of Chytil, Andersson, or Kravtsov become top-line impact players? The team will be married to Karlsson's contract as he ages while the team frantically tries to supplement the remainder of his prime with further efforts to sign big-name UFAs, and we'll find ourselves in a rebuild amidst mediocrity all-over again.

Expediting the rebuild only makes sense if we otherwise know what we have on our hands in terms of the team's composition. We don't, though, so it doesn't make sense.

this makes lots of sense. Well done.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
So each individual poster is not allowed to criticize anyone because some in the same fanbase had a certain opinion about a certain other individual. The ultimate guilt by association.

Possibly the dumbest post I've ever in that it is completely illogical.
Not really by association. It's always Girardi's fanclub that's most critical of DeAngelo.

Cag29

94! I’m ready for more! LGR!
Jul 18, 2018
Not really by association. It's always Girardi's fanclub that's most critical of DeAngelo.
Dan Girardi did quite well for himself considering he wasn’t drafted. I always enjoyed watching him play. He gave his all every shift. That’s all you can ask for. Hopefully Deangelo reaches his potential under our new coach. LGR!!!!
People criticize Mark Staal - the guys has had horrible injuries (puck in the eye several concussions that we know of. He’s another classy player who always gives his best. I want to win as much as the next fan but I will always be respectful of our players.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Yup - easy for Henrik to say he is all in on the rebuild in the off season. Wait until reality sets in that he has the worst D in the league in front of him. He lost his mind last year at times from the lack of structure. He ain't seen nothing yet.

I disagree. This defense will be more structured and less of a fire drill in the defensive zone without the idiot behind the bench.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
You can build the new US/Mexican border wall right in front of Lundqvist but if you don't have the right people guarding it, it won't be very effective ;)

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
What does it matter? Neither is a #1 defenseman.

Signing Karlsson to this team makes no sense. And would run counter to what Gorton is seemingly doing.

It kinda does matter in the context of that convo.

Shatty (2018) >>>> Shea Webs (2018)

Never said shatty was a 1.

I’m not into EK for the record.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Defensemen aren't the only players on the team who impact defensive performance.

AV's system was more conducive to D being left on an island than our two previous regimes.

Reactions: egelband and Cag29

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
You can build the new US/Mexican border wall right in front of Lundqvist but if you don't have the right people guarding it, it won't be very effective ;)
How would pucks get through the wall? It would be extremely effective even without supervision.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I love how a fanbase that revered Dan Girardi has the balls to criticize anyone's gap control.
What does Girardi's past performance have anything to do with DeAngelo's upcoming play?

The fanbase that appreciated Girardi also remembers him over the course of his career, not just his unfortunate last few years.

Reactions: egelband

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
How would pucks get through the wall? It would be extremely effective even without supervision.

That’s easy..If you want to breach the wall, all you have to do is just have Shattenkirk and Smith guard it.
Before you know it, mule’s be smuggling bus loads of pucks across the border and then all of a sudden we have a puck epidemic.

Coach/system change or not..This is going to be a bottom 3 D in the league this year.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
By what measure did he play well. Look at his stats. Look at the comments of virtually all neutral observers. It simply didn't happen.

I heard an interesting podcast recently where both commentators (Craig Custance and Corey Pronman) where addressing how much fans overrate their teams prospects based on hometown hype and whatever else. Pronman does his objective and incredibly detailed team prospect evaluations (Rangers went from 29 to 11 in one year!) and virtually every fan base gives him grief for not rating their prospects higher.

There really is no debate about what ADA has been so far in his career - quite a consensus that he has not played up to his apparent skill set or even satisfactorily; or at least not since 2014-15 in the OHL.
As if this fanbase treats DeAngelo like a homegrown prospect. :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: Vinny DeAngelo

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Yup - easy for Henrik to say he is all in on the rebuild in the off season. Wait until reality sets in that he has the worst D in the league in front of him. He lost his mind last year at times from the lack of structure. He ain't seen nothing yet.

The also have one of the top 3 farm systems for defenseman now. Some are close to or ready for NHL action. Once the coach puts in a real defensive system and Lindgren and Hajek get experience, the defenseman core won't be bad for long.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad