Rebuild/Restructure and What does that look like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I'd be very surprised if they didn't have multiple meetings every year about the future of the team, were less then a week away from the draft and 8 days away from free agency, I should be expected that they would have meetings like this... "This likely means some significant changes are on the horizon" like no shit... we have 3 big name players that only have a year of control left.. and it's been reported that our former captain is likely to be gone
Sounds like a Board meeting, which would be regularly scheduled at least 4 times per year. I wouldn't be surprised if this was a regularly scheduled pre-draft/ new year meeting. But the plan of attack over the next two weeks will likely be a focus. Might even be the Budget meeting.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
We know what direction they want to take the team. They want to make the playoffs next year as a bubble team. I don't think they need to call a meeting to discuss rebuild versus retool this close to the draft. They should have had this months ago. Likewise, Cheveldayoff wouldn't need to call a meeting to discuss value packages for players. Chipman is basically the final arbiter of that.

The cautious optimism in me is thinking that the returns he's getting on what are ostensibly rentals aren't what he would like them to be for bubble teams, so they may be forced to alter their plans to a more future oriented package.

Yeah, that is what I was getting at but didn't explain it that well. My guess is they aren't being offered good enough now pieces for Helle and Mark and this meeting is to see if they should continue down the retool plan and hope they can get those pieces elsewhere or switch gears to more futures

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Yeah, that is what I was getting at but didn't explain it that well. My guess is they aren't being offered good enough now pieces for Helle and Mark and this meeting is to see if they should continue down the retool plan and hope they can get those pieces elsewhere or switch gears to more futures
I really wouldn't put much stock into the fact that the jets had a meeting 6 days before the draft and 8 days before free agency

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I really wouldn't put much stock into the fact that the jets had a meeting 6 days before the draft and 8 days before free agency

I'm not putting that much stock in it. They have regular meetings. I mean it's been out that they are moving on from Wheeler for a while now so a good amount of the direction has been set.

They may want to meet as a group to look at the trade packages available for their players and then pick the ones that best fit the direction though. They may also need to get on the same page on deployment of players such as if Cole is going to be slotted in at center then maybe they target a different package etc.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
How chevy starts the meeting...

"OK folks, now Connor, Ehlers, Jomo and Lowry have also requested trades...."
You forgot Nino. And Pionk. And Schmidt. And...

OK, probably quicker to name who doesn't want a trade. Appleton. Oh, wait...

mason-appleton-2020-6378.jpg

... he's not looking happy, either. :laugh:

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
there was the board of governors meeting today so I would expect chipman to be taking part of that meeting so I don't expect it would have been a meeting to discuss how they would be shifting course from what they were planning to do

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
there was the board of governors meeting today so I would expect chipman to be taking part of that meeting so I don't expect it would have been a meeting to discuss how they would be shifting course from what they were planning to do
If they are meeting at this point to shift course what an inept organization. The course should be obvious, how it is executed needs to be the discussion.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Board Meeting could occur after a Governors meeting. Not out of the question. Also, through the reporting, the day of the Board Meeting could have been mixed up.

Reactions: FlappyGiraffe

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Board Meeting could occur after a Governors meeting. Not out of the question. Also, through the reporting, the day of the Board Meeting could have been mixed up.
I find that to be unlikely, board of governors meetings usually take place in florida and I doubt he hops on a zoom call to discuss the future of the jets right after that

just find it unlikely that this meeting means much at all and if it did they would have scheduled it on a different date then the board of governors meeting

Last edited:
Reactions: FlappyGiraffe

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I find that to be unlikely, board of governors meetings usually take place in florida and I doubt he hops on a zoom call to discuss the future of the jets right after that

just find it unlikely that this meeting means much at all and if it did they would have scheduled it on a different date then the board of governors meeting
Could be that the meeting was reactive to negations with other teams, and they didn't have a ton of notice to schedule. You never know!

(You're probably right but the speculation around the meeting is fun :laugh:)

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Could be that the meeting was reactive to negations with other teams, and they didn't have a ton of notice to schedule. You never know!

(You're probably right but the speculation around the meeting is fun :laugh:)
my best guess would be that they were talking with amateur/pro scouts and going over the players that could be available to them going over all the cap that could be involved, we could be trading 4 players and that will probably require a lot of meetings with a lot of people to make sure they get this right

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg

doubt they're are in Florida. Probably a conference call hosted by Bettman in NYC. They met as a group last month as well, I believe.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
doubt they're are in Florida. Probably a conference call hosted by Bettman in NYC. They met as a group last month as well, I believe.
friedman on the jeff marek show today mentioned how andlauer and tannenbaum weren't there at the meeting so it doesn't sound like it was a conference call, friedman was also where ever it was being held and interviewed bettman in person tonight

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
friedman on the jeff marek show today mentioned how andlauer and tannenbaum weren't there at the meeting so it doesn't sound like it was a conference call, friedman was also where ever it was being held and interviewed bettman in person tonight
Makes sense it was NYC or Nashville then.

And if Tannenbaum, who is on the executive committee wasn't in person, then it was probably in person and on zoom. Bettman did say "in the boardroom" referring to discussions with Friedman, so I agree it wasn't strictly zoom.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Makes sense it was NYC or Nashville then.

And if Tannenbaum, who is on the executive committee wasn't in person, then it was probably in person and on zoom. Bettman did say "in the boardroom" referring to discussions with Friedman, so I agree it wasn't strictly zoom.
tannenbaum is selling a significant amount of his shares so he probably won't be holding that for long and chipman also is on the executive committee, anyways just don't see a major jets meeting being scheduled the same day as a board of governors meeting

Last edited:

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
tannenbaum is selling a significant amount of his shares so he probably won't be holding that for long and chipman also is on the executive committee, anyways just don't see a major jets meeting being scheduled the same day as a board of governors meeting
Bettman said in the Friedman interview that there would be no change to Tannenbaum's level of involvement with the league (specifically in reference to a question about the exec comm). OMERS just taking a passive investment.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Friedman is in NYC today. He said so in his Sirius XM interview.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I don't know. While the cat's away, as they say. :nod:

Detroit fan coming in peace. On the sdpn pod there was talk about Wheeler being def out. Sorry if this was covered on another thread already but just wanted to ask what the problem in the the locker room was/is/could be? Cuz when Laine left I remember there was talk from some insider about problems in the room (Maurice/Laine/Wheeler). Can’t remember from which insider I heard it but somebody apparently knowledgeable said that Buf left in part cuz of issues in the room. Just hearsay, I don’t know of course. Then Maurice jumps ship and from the press conference I had the impression that he gave up on the team. And then Bowness stripping the C from Wheeler and the blowup at the end of the season. So what’s the issue in your minds?

Thx

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Detroit fan coming in peace. On the sdpn pod there was talk about Wheeler being def out. Sorry if this was covered on another thread already but just wanted to ask what the problem in the the locker room was/is/could be? Cuz when Laine left I remember there was talk from some insider about problems in the room (Maurice/Laine/Wheeler). Can’t remember from which insider I heard it but somebody apparently knowledgeable said that Buf left in part cuz of issues in the room. Just hearsay, I don’t know of course. Then Maurice jumps ship and from the press conference I had the impression that he gave up on the team. And then Bowness stripping the C from Wheeler and the blowup at the end of the season. So what’s the issue in your minds?

Thx

I think it's more a case to wanting to transition to the younger leadership crew. The group of players still defer to him as the defacto leader. I think his intense leadership style hasn't always resonated with everyone in the room either. I also think Blake would like a fresh start as well.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg

Thx
Blake seems like just a really great guy. Someone we'd all love to sit down and have a beer with. I think there's been something about his leadership style over the years that has grated on some of the players in the locker room. Definitely been some friction along the way.

I don't think you'd see it if he was starting out fresh with a new organization.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Thx
My take is Wheeler is a grumpy old SOB that is pretty tough on young players. Apparently this was especially true with Laine, whose work ethic and dedication to improvement was somewhat suspect. Maurice and Wheeler got along very well as Wheeler is just as old school as Maurice. Wheeler's effort and commitment to the game and to the community was exceptional and under other different circumstances my have been considered a great captain. His UFA contract and father time has made him a lightening rod for some to direct their anger at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad