Rebuild/Restructure and What does that look like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
My take is Wheeler is a grumpy old SOB that is pretty tough on young players. Apparently this was especially true with Laine, whose work ethic and dedication to improvement was somewhat suspect. Maurice and Wheeler got along very well as Wheeler is just as old school as Maurice. Wheeler's effort and commitment to the game and to the community was exceptional and under other different circumstances my have been considered a great captain. His UFA contract and father time has made him a lightening rod for some to direct their anger at.
I share this POV as well.
Restructuring and resetting in my opinion is removing Blake and Mark from this club and have the room establish a new era of sorts.
From a community perspective, Wheels and his wife are extremely generous with their time and that is often overlooked.
I wish him well and I’d rather see him gone but I can understand if TNSE feels differently with Blake.
Scheifele otoh needs to go.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Thinking about the Jets' "restructuring", a key question that emerges is whether any of the Jets' prospects have potential to play C, particularly Perfetti, Lucius, Lambert or McGroarty.

My sense is that Lucius might be the most suited to playing C, based on his profile and history. He needs to get and stay healthy, though.

McGroarty likely has the smarts to play C, but might be focused on wing because he lacks ideal speed. Having said that, there are some really good NHL Cs that aren't brilliant skaters. It will depend on whether he gets reps at C at Michigan this season, I think. My guess is that he'll continue to be profiled at LW.

Perfetti might emerge as a C, but again he lacks what many coaches perceive as the ideal size and speed to play that role. It will be interesting to see if he gets some play there this season.

Lambert has been playing C in the WHL, and certainly has the skating. But again, he profiles as perhaps a winger at the NHL level.

I'm very concerned about Lucius' durability. I would be looking to include him in a trade package.

I think McGroarty is the best bet to make it at C in the NHL, but he needs to get played there. His skating can be improved. Then Lambert, then Perfetti.

Yeah, I'm OK with one more year of him focusing on a defensive foundation but I'd like to transition to Lauer as head coach in a year. I think our offense clearly struggled with him out

Except that Arniel appears to have already been anointed as the next Jets HC.

• Haha
Reactions: Gil Fisher

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm very concerned about Lucius' durability. I would be looking to include him in a trade package.

I think McGroarty is the best bet to make it at C in the NHL, but he needs to get played there. His skating can be improved. Then Lambert, then Perfetti.

Except that Arniel appears to have already been anointed as the next Jets HC.

I guess we will have to see on the Arniel front. To be fair we don't know what his schemes would be.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We know what direction they want to take the team. They want to make the playoffs next year as a bubble team. I don't think they need to call a meeting to discuss rebuild versus retool this close to the draft. They should have had this months ago. Likewise, Cheveldayoff wouldn't need to call a meeting to discuss value packages for players. Chipman is basically the final arbiter of that.

The cautious optimism in me is thinking that the returns he's getting on what are ostensibly rentals aren't what he would like them to be for bubble teams, so they may be forced to alter their plans to a more future oriented package.

Getting virtually nothing in return for taking on 4.25m cap dead weight for one year, or spending real money to spread the cap hit out over 2 years for basically the same return.

The other option for Wheeler remains waiting until the TD when offers might be quite a bit better.

That option is more realistic if they go the futures route instead of the bubble team route. If they go bubble they won't be TD sellers.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I guess we will have to see on the Arniel front. To be fair we don't know what his schemes would be.

We really don't know how he would do as a HC. His only stint was a long time ago. We did not fare well when he filled in for Bowness at the beginning of the season.

Reactions: AlaskaJet

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
We really don't know how he would do as a HC. His only stint was a long time ago. We did not fare well when he filled in for Bowness at the beginning of the season.

That wasn't that surprising though as the team was still early in learning it's new systems. There was always going to be a learning curve. He did some things I liked like trusting young players late in games like Perfetti where Bones would sit the kid out to end games.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
The other option for Wheeler remains waiting until the TD when offers might be quite a bit better.

That option is more realistic if they go the futures route instead of the bubble team route. If they go bubble they won't be TD sellers.
Wheeler is gone before the draft.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That wasn't that surprising though as the team was still early in learning it's new systems. There was always going to be a learning curve. He did some things I liked like trusting young players late in games like Perfetti where Bones would sit the kid out to end games.

results were night and day different with and without Bones. That is not learning curve.

Wheeler is gone before the draft.

Well, even the Free Press has figured out that he is going so it must be cast in stone.

• Haha
Reactions: ps241

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
So far if the rumored deals are true def doesn't look like a rebuild imo. The most intriguing peice is Helle in my view.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
So far if the rumored deals are true def doesn't look like a rebuild imo. The most intriguing peice is Helle in my view.

What is the current rumored deal on Helle? I was pretty busy this weekend and just catching up on the gossip.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
What is the current rumored deal on Helle? I was pretty busy this weekend and just catching up on the gossip.
No current rumored specifics. Meant his trade will be the most intriguing given the scarcity of high end goalie trades.

Lebrun was saying he's interested in NJD long term among other teams

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
No current rumored specifics. Meant his trade will be the most intriguing given the scarcity of high end goalie trades.

Lebrun was saying he's interested in NJD long term among other teams

He is our most talented player by a long shot, the only thing that would give me hesitation is “any” 7 or 8 year contract for a goalie that will turn 31 when the contract starts.

Tremendous asset though and I think most GM’s can plan around the less productive years (front load, or bonus heavy deal and cap dump when he fades)

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
After the PLD trade, the Jets now have $8,992,143 in cap space.

Still need to potentially sign Barron, Kupari, Vilardi, Samberg, etc...

Will get a few more million available when they deal with Wheeler.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
After the PLD trade, the Jets now have $8,992,143 in cap space.

Still need to potentially sign Barron, Kupari, Vilardi, Samberg, etc...

Will get a few more million available when they deal with Wheeler.

Found some publicly available contract projections here:

I believe these are the ones used by Daily Faceoff.

For the interesting guys:

Barron: 2 x $1,345,000
Kupari: 1 x $875,000
Samberg: 2 x $1,160,000
Vilardi: 3 x $3,746,000

These seem a little on the low side?

edit: looks like Google Sheets are embedded. Here's the link -->
Code:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1y8djdJG5PBDpRBge1_g2w4llcwUjSYqKlMlccVN58Hk/edit#gid=0

Reactions: JetsUK and cbcwpg
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad