Speculation: Rebirth Of the Islanders

Status
Not open for further replies.

StarBucks

Dec 27, 2004
WANG____MeFoolingYOU
The Rebirth Of the New York Islanders!! Ever since the in-nameless one. This was a blessing is disguise! Today, The fans & the players have created a very Strong Bond. Having MM, back home where he belongs was a very smart Move. It’s all about us (Fans) and the organization! This’s the same exact mentality that made this organization a 4 Time Stanly Cup winners! Snow& Wang departure was the best thing that’s happened to this Organization. The owners were very Smart by bringing in the best GM in hockey. We also have one of the best Coaches with us now! For this Coming season, You fans will see how much of an improvement of this team. I say this to you now. Don’t be surprised if this team makes the playoffs!!

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
The Rebirth Of the New York Islanders!! Ever since the in-nameless one. This was a blessing is disguise! Today, The fans & the players have created a very Strong Bond. Having MM, back home where he belongs was a very smart Move. It’s all about us (Fans) and the organization! This’s the same exact mentality that made this organization a 4 Time Stanly Cup winners! Snow& Wang departure was the best thing that’s happened to this Organization. The owners were very Smart by bringing in the best GM in hockey. We also have one of the best Coaches with us now! For this Coming season, You fans will see how much of an improvement of this team. I say this to you now. Don’t be surprised if this team makes the playoffs!!
I agree. I hope Trotz can instill the work ethic and self-belief that the team can go far, but that it is up to them to make it happen. With sound coaching and a few more roster tweaks, this team can certainly make the playoffs. Arbour was able to do this, but it took a while for them to get over the hump, as well as the Goring trade to bring it all together.

Reactions: StarBucks

pursuit81

Apr 12, 2018
Is the org moving in the right direction? I think so, particularly with BT, who I think is just the right guy for this team. LL, I'm not so sure about, and it has nothing to do with not landing JT (who I was ambivalent about anyway). He's 75 and an old NHL dinosaur (Komarov signing an indication). The best GMs in hockey are under 50 and some much younger. But, LL has a ton of pride and a no-nonsense approach which I think this team needs so we'll see. All I want in the short run is competency from top to bottom and a definite sense of where we're heading, that is, a plan. I think we have one and a good supply of talent in the pipeline. We also have a very favorable cap situation, but, if we have to play well under the cap this season so as not to involve ourselves in a bunch of bad contracts, we should do that. The playoffs shouldn't even be on our minds and if by some miracle they manage to eke their way in then great, but this team is nowhere near Cup ready and we can't force it or make stupid decisions just to make playoffs. We've had enough of that.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
The organization is 1000% moving in the right direction.

Look at any successful franchise and it's because they have two things. Good owners and competent management.

This is probably the first time since the 80s the Islanders have had both. Long may it continue.

StarBucks

Dec 27, 2004
WANG____MeFoolingYOU
I agree. I hope Trotz can instill the work ethic and self-belief that the team can go far, but that it is up to them to make it happen. With sound coaching and a few more roster tweaks, this team can certainly make the playoffs. Arbour was able to do this, but it took a while for them to get over the hump, as well as the Goring trade to bring it all together.
Trotz, is a Very Good teacher, discipline & good work ethics will create chemistry between players. Players will play for each other & the fans we will back the up 100 Percent. But the fans have to start reaching out to the players and let them know how they’re a part of us . We will show them how much we will back them up and ESPECIALLY When they don’t win.

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
The JT departure is a blessing
The assets not received is the setback

A solid young D with a first and a 2nd
Would have gone a long way to getting this
Vehicle out of 2nd and into 3rd quickly.

Moving one of these picks with something small would have given us amo to get the
2C needed and we would be closer to 4th gear before season starts. Sadly that won’t be case we need to wait on the prospects to develop further

Last edited:

scott99

May 13, 2005
I love this thread ! It's so true that this organization is in such great hands now. For the 1st time in 26 years, almost 3 decades, we have an established, champion GM and an established, championship coach. Also, finally, owners who care (and did the right thing, bringing in Lamoriello), who are bringing us a brand new arena. May take several years, but they are on the right path. Extremely happy with the moves they've made bringing in Lamoriello/Trotz, best moves by the Islanders in decades. This organization is no longer bush league.

Reactions: StarBucks

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
The organization is heading in the right direction-there's not doubt about that. But we just missed the playoffs by 17 points with Tavares. Anybody who thinks we're a better team with him is kidding themselves (regardless of the way he left). We are headed in the right direction but it'll take a couple of years. I know we just waited like 11-12 for a "rebuild", however we had a backup goaltender running it, so are the results really surprising?

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
The organization is heading in the right direction-there's not doubt about that. But we just missed the playoffs by 17 points with Tavares. Anybody who thinks we're a better team with him is kidding themselves (regardless of the way he left). We are headed in the right direction but it'll take a couple of years. I know we just waited like 11-12 for a "rebuild", however we had a backup goaltender running it, so are the results really surprising?

I think we have to look at is realistically

Improvement areas and points:

Coach: 20 points, since the previous one was so bad
Defensive forwards: 8 points
Goalie: 6 points

Dropoffs

Judas: Less 16 points
No top 4 dman added: 6 points

UP 34 points, then minus 22 points. We are maybe 12 points better in the end..... adding a top 4 dman, improves us up to 18 points, which puts us in the playoffs

Trading deadline... we can add the players to make a run.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006

Dropoffs

UP 34 points, then minus 22 points. We are maybe 12 points better in the end..... adding a top 4 dman, improves us up to 18 points, which puts us in the playoffs

There are so many moving parts.

According to Andrew Gross it seems like Mitch Korn is coming on. What happens if he straightens out Lehner?
Bottom six not bleeding goals and actually contributing
Actually having a team that plays responsible defensive hockey
Top 15 offense(unless someone like JHS steps up, buys into trotz hockey and produces 55 points) or better

I just don't think you can quantify it. Personally they are a move away from being a bubble team.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
There are so many moving parts.

According to Andrew Gross it seems like Mitch Korn is coming on. What happens if he straightens out Lehner?
Bottom six not bleeding goals and actually contributing
Actually having a team that plays responsible defensive hockey
Top 15 offense(unless someone like JHS steps up, buys into trotz hockey and produces 55 points) or better

I just don't think you can quantify it. Personally they are a move away from being a bubble team.

Yep LOL we agree, I quantified it... adding a top 4 dman gets us barely into the playoffs, adding Stepan at the deadline gets us on a run,

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010

You forgot to add:

We will get to shove it up BD Gallof's rear . . . his commentary the last few weeks has been about 90% negative.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL

Dropoffs

Losing Tavares is only a drop of 16 points? Really? I think we're underestimating how much it's going to affect us.

MIK55

Jul 4, 2018
Said it elsewhere not quite this way. When Al Arbour took over as coach, GA dropped by 106. Barry Trotz strikes me a defense minded coach in the same way Al was. This team, however, is a better offensive team than the 73-74 Isles. So, I agree. We are poised for something special.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
The last year version of Judas.. he vanished for a stretch, he was part of the problem at times last year, all prior years,... no, he carried us

Look we were burned I get it...but you can't tell me with a straight face that Tavares wasn't good last year-especeially in the first half. Losing him is going to hurt badly. It forces Barzal to play against top defensive units all season, and we don't have a #C, and Bailey and Lee's production will also most likely drop. It's going to be a long and rough season.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Look we were burned I get it...but you can't tell me with a straight face that Tavares wasn't good last year-especeially in the first half. Losing him is going to hurt badly. It forces Barzal to play against top defensive units all season, and we don't have a #C, and Bailey and Lee's production will also most likely drop. It's going to be a long and rough season.

Oh it hurts, and we will feel it if Tovar is our 2C, but sometimes a great player can be a stumbling block to a team's success, it has happened throughout all sports over time, I think having the Stanley cup winning coach getting this team to play a smart version of Cappy play will go a lot further than expectations. Judas was great for 50 games and stunk up the joint for 30 games, but in his entire time with the Isles he was great, and that will be missed.. but my logic is that last year's team was a playoff team if Trotz was the coach and not Weight... like I have said before, having Weight coach this team is minus 10, having Brunomics, you, Zach Galfafinakis or Chuck Schumer coach the team and just play basics, we are 10 points better, having Trotz is 20 points better than last year. We seriously underperformed last year because of the 50 shot barrage each night... This team was damned by the worst coached period in Isles history

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Agree 100%.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County

I'm in! I believe in what they are doing.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Before last season, they were a one line team. With Tavares leaving, they’re back to a one line team, and that one line isn’t even a guarantee like it was in year’s past.

Reactions: LeapOnOver
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad