Confirmed with Link: Reaves re-signs with VGK 2 year deal ($2.775m AAV)

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I agree that it's bad because what do you pay Bellemare after Reaves gets this much money who is a much more valuable player. If you're paying Reaves for playoff perfomance which included him being scratched and only playing when Carrier gets hurt then what do you pay Nosek when his contract is up and I believe will have a higher point total than Reaves. GMGM still has the mentality of needing a tough guy on the team when he isn't needed. He didn't stop the caps from pushing around our undersized guys in the finals.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I had to unfollow him on Twitter & IG. He was too much.

Yeah Ken is dumb and even worse than Jesse Granger at The Sun. I work with people that read sinbin all the time and will argue with me because Ken said this or that. Ken is clearly a fan masquerading as a journalist and since Las Vegas is 75% new hockey fans that don't know shit yet, they are all Ken. Any of you want to start a VGK hockey blog? LadyStanley? Please someone post updates and good information. I get most of my hockey news from sportsnet and tsn because everyone locally is just bad.

I hope someone that knows hockey starts a good twitter/blog account. There's lots of fans that are new to hockey here that need good insight. I'm hoping that The Athletic sees that we have a clear need for a hockey writer to follow VGK. I'd sign up if they can get a real journalist/insider type to cover us and not sugar coat GMGM signings and deals when they are clearly bad and not healthy for the team.

Paying a 4th liner this much money is too much. Even Bellemare shouldn't get this much money and he's much more valuable to the team.

Reaves' deal will now be seen as the minimum wage amount they should be getting for a vet 4th liner internally. The argument that it doesn't matter because we have money to burn is asinine. I saw what it did to the Avalanche when there was a cap of $6M internally. The fans knew it and the players did. That's why they lost Stastny to the Blues and ROR to the Sabres. GMs need to make fair deals and overpay for big contributors. You never overpay for guys who see less than 9 minutes of the ice and scores 10 points in a season.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Jay Beagle just got a little more than Reaves AAV who I rather have had. At least the Stazz signing should help the team with winning more faceoffs, but it would have been nice to get someone who is elite at faceoffs or have 2 guys that are dependable at them.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
The third line is the black hole in this whole situation. Perhaps Reaves is just taking a spot so Nosek or Carrier can move up with Eakin and Tatar.

It’s kind of worth it to me then.

I get that it’s an overpayment, but if I pay all my guys on my 4th line $1MM too much to keep the right guys I don’t mind it at all. That’s $3MM.

Reactions: willy702

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
The third line is the black hole in this whole situation. Perhaps Reaves is just taking a spot so Nosek or Carrier can move up with Eakin and Tatar.

It’s kind of worth it to me then.

I get that it’s an overpayment, but if I pay all my guys on my 4th line $1MM too much to keep the right guys I don’t mind it at all. That’s $3MM.

Reaves is making $1.5M too much. Cap space is not a problem now, but in the future when they have to pay more talented players, every million will matter in keeping the team together. It's not ok to overpay bottom line players because to keep your star players, they are the ones that will be needed to be overpaid.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Reaves is making $1.5M too much. Cap space is not a problem now, but in the future when they have to pay more talented players, every million will matter in keeping the team together. It's not ok to overpay bottom line players because to keep your star players, they are the ones that will be needed to be overpaid.
We've already got 2/3 of our first line on team friendly deals, I'm not super worried.

Stastny impact future salaries more than Reaves, IMO.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
We've already got 2/3 of our first line on team friendly deals, I'm not super worried.

Stastny impact future salaries more than Reaves, IMO.

3rd and 4th line players scoring more than 10 points a season is going to look at Reaves' deal and think that they deserve more when they are up for an extension. They will either pay these bottom 6 players more money than necessary or leave when they feel that they aren't appreciated. Bellemare scored more than Reaves and has a bigger role than him. Will VGK even give him the same deal? PEB at Reaves' new deal is overpayment as well. When does it stop? This could chase away better 3rd and 4th line players off the team who might not get the same deal when they get butthurt that they aren't given similar money. Overpaying a few bottom rung players can add up and impede the team from signing a better player or extending a core player.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
3rd and 4th line players scoring more than 10 points a season is going to look at Reaves' deal and think that they deserve more when they are up for an extension. They will either pay these bottom 6 players more money than necessary or leave when they feel that they aren't appreciated. Bellemare scored more than Reaves and has a bigger role than him. Will VGK even give him the same deal? PEB at Reaves' new deal is overpayment as well. When does it stop? This could chase away better 3rd and 4th line players off the team who might not get the same deal when they get ******** that they aren't given similar money. Overpaying a few bottom rung players can add up and impede the team from signing a better player or extending a core player.
I'll worry about crossing that bridge when we get there. If we have to pay PEB an extra million-mil and a half over what most people this he's worth, I'd happily do it.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I'll worry about crossing that bridge when we get there. If we have to pay PEB an extra million-mil and a half over what most people this he's worth, I'd happily do it.

I wouldn't. We need to make our team precedent be to pay players what they're worth.

It doesn't matter if the cap goes up, 1-2 million dollars wasted is a lot if you don't have to. The Jets could have had Stastny on top of all they have now with an extra million. It makes a difference.

This is just not a good contract for us. Half the price and I love it. Reaves can contribute to this team in his own way. But if other teams were willing to give Reaves 1.85M AAV over 3 years (too much really for even one year of a player that caliber but still) then you say good luck and let him walk. We could find someone else to replace him for two years, 1.3M AAV.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV

That didn't work in the finals. He scored a goal that shouldn't have counted and took a bad penalty in another game. Vegas has enough guys that can drop the gloves if the situation calls for it. What they need is more offrnsive skill in the bottom 6. 3rd and 4th lines need to chip in more often. If Neal comes back then we have 3 decent scoring lines.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
3rd and 4th line players scoring more than 10 points a season is going to look at Reaves' deal and think that they deserve more when they are up for an extension. They will either pay these bottom 6 players more money than necessary or leave when they feel that they aren't appreciated. Bellemare scored more than Reaves and has a bigger role than him. Will VGK even give him the same deal? PEB at Reaves' new deal is overpayment as well. When does it stop? This could chase away better 3rd and 4th line players off the team who might not get the same deal when they get ******** that they aren't given similar money. Overpaying a few bottom rung players can add up and impede the team from signing a better player or extending a core player.

Man the sky is always falling with you. I don't even care for Reaves, but if you spend $1m or $3m on him it doesn't matter, its the going rate, they didn't outbid anyone to get him, so there is no payscale that applies to VGK and no one else. If agents for other players demand some precedent setting scale that only applies to one team, tell them go find another team who buys into that sort of pricing. This is it for Reaves, his one decent pay day. For now GMs will believe there is still a chance he finds another level and puts up 25-30 points so why complain if the young man has made sure he's taken care of because his style of play you never know what issues he may have after he hangs them up. And if he doesn't improve he will be back to $1m deals and hoping he can keep his career going.

I don't get why there is so much complaint on Reaves and almost nothing on Holden. That's a bad contract. You already have Merrill, the same player really. If D get hurt you have Holm and other assorted mediocrity in the minors. And you want to get Whitecloud into the lineup, plus Brannstrom and Hague knocking on the door? Holden is just stupid, but you'd rather harp on Reaves.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Man the sky is always falling with you. I don't even care for Reaves, but if you spend $1m or $3m on him it doesn't matter, its the going rate, they didn't outbid anyone to get him, so there is no payscale that applies to VGK and no one else. If agents for other players demand some precedent setting scale that only applies to one team, tell them go find another team who buys into that sort of pricing. This is it for Reaves, his one decent pay day. For now GMs will believe there is still a chance he finds another level and puts up 25-30 points so why complain if the young man has made sure he's taken care of because his style of play you never know what issues he may have after he hangs them up. And if he doesn't improve he will be back to $1m deals and hoping he can keep his career going.

I don't get why there is so much complaint on Reaves and almost nothing on Holden. That's a bad contract. You already have Merrill, the same player really. If D get hurt you have Holm and other assorted mediocrity in the minors. And you want to get Whitecloud into the lineup, plus Brannstrom and Hague knocking on the door? Holden is just stupid, but you'd rather harp on Reaves.

They did outbid for Reaves. He was offered a 3 year deal with the same amount of money from another team, but vgk didn't want to do the 3 years and they gave him the same total money over the course of 2 years instead of 3.

Holden's deal is a lot less than reaves. Reaves makes 5.5m total over the life of his contract and Holden makes 4.4m.

I would have preferred to without both players as both could be replaced with cheaper internal options. As a potential money crunch could happen after this upcoming season if they take on expensive trades in a contract, pay the core players, and add in other areas. The jets lost out on Stastny because they didn't have enough money to squeeze him in this year and they will be up at the cap ceiling when everyone is due for big raises in another season. The team should not overpay these types of players. There were better and cheaper options at the bottom 6 and 3rd dline pairing.

Reaves with 25 points? Can I have what you're smoking? Reaves has never gotten over 13 points in his entire career. If you want to bet on it, let me know. I'd set the over/under at 20 if you think he'll go over 20 points.

I don't what it is about him that gets your all tingly. Tell me what about Reaves gets you going? DSP is only making 1m a season and he's got much more skill than Reaves. Plekanec is making less and on a 1 year deal. Those two alone would upgrade the bottom 6 with skill and are way bigger scoring threats. There's no need for a goon player. We have guys that will fight if another team is taking liberties at our top line. Reaves didn't even make Tom Wilson pay.

That 2.775m could have been better spent elsewhere. Just because there's cap space now, it doesn't mean you have to spend it on overpaying Reaves.

What if they get EK and Bobby Ryan? Thats 19m right there. Then there's our own ifa and rfa players to pay. What if they all have career or near career seasons again? If Wild Bill scores 35 to 40 goals again, hes not going to take 6m a season. He's going to make 7 to 9m if puts that many pucks in the net and if he becomes a better playmaker and gets much assists. Basically a point a game player. Maybe 10 if he hits 40 plus goals again.

This year looks safe. The season after that could be right at the limit if everyone plays great again and with expensive additions. I would like some breathing room so if a cap strapped team has to sell off a solid player at a bargain to clear cap, then I'd like the team to have that type of flexibility. If EK comes to Vegas, a lot of guys could be looking at yet another career high season with h added to the lineup.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
@willy702 Which playoff games was Reaves a deterrent or an enforcer? I felt that every series was physically tough, but the players held their own in every series except for the final. I didn't see Reaves policing games that he was in. Both teams up in to the finals all played hard and hit hard and there weren't too many dirty hits. They weren't pushed around. When Carrier was healthy, we had more hits than the other team in most contests. I can't remember any cheap run ins that required an enforcer except for yes the final. Reaves did not do his role. If his role is to be an enforcer/deterrent for other teams to run our guys, then he did a poor job.

Sell me on what you like about him. To me his best asset is puck possession in the dirty areas. Other than being a good locker room guy, his play on the ice doesn't reflect his contract. There's players making less than him and providing more scoring while also playing a physical game.

I've watched hockey for many years and at one time I loved the fights, but it's being phased out and I would rather have someone that can provide an actual skill like scoring or being good on the PK and is a good faceoff man. Beagle is making just slightly more than Reaves and is a much more valuable player. Reaves isn't even guaranteed a spot in the lineup. You don't like Holden's deal and while I don't think it's great either, at least he's virtually assured a spot in the lineup.

I really want to know why people like Reaves so much because people keep saying he's an enforcer and I've seen enforcers. He doesn't play that role despite his size and reputation for fighting. If he was an enforcer/deterrent then he would have dropped the gloves with Tom Wilson. Trash talk doesn't count. If he wanted to fight, he could have made Wilson fight as Wilson will not back down from a challenge.

Last edited:

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Wow. Not to pick a fight, and I'm not the biggest Reaves booster, but I pretty much disagree with everything you've said about him, PDP. Aside from stronger defensemen, the biggest need was a punisher/agitator. This is not a big, tough team. We need a pit bull to answer the doorbell.

Reactions: Vegas Mac

mundyc3

May 17, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
I am not worried about this. It is two years. Gallant doesn't care who you are or how much money you make, he will play whoever he believes are the best on any given night. Everyone on this team knows they have to work hard and smart to get out there. Reaves had his issues, but he showed more discipline than I expected from him.

Reactions: ChanceVegas

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Wow. Not to pick a fight, and I'm not the biggest Reaves booster, but I pretty much disagree with everything you've said about him, PDP. Aside from stronger defensemen, the biggest need was a punisher/agitator. This is not a big, tough team. We need a pit bull to answer the doorbell.

Give me an example of Reaves answering the bell in the finals when we needed toughness more than ever.

A majority of the playoff teams don't employ a goon/enforcer type player and even if you wanted one, you can get one for a lot cheaper than Reaves. If Carrier never gets injured in the playoffs, chances are that Reaves never sees a minute on the ice.

Do people really want to go back and play tough heavy hitting hockey like the Kings? That playstyle is a regression in the league right now. Vegas has guys that will fight if the other guy drops the gloves. I never saw Reaves protecting or retaliating in the playoffs. All he did was cross check and talk smack. Gallant using him as the 6th man when they pulled Fleury was a head scratching move that made no sense at all. Reaves should have drawn Wilson into a fight, but he didn't. They both were all talk and Wilson got the better of us over Reaves cross checking whenever possible. I didn't see him as an enforcer at all. He's either out of control like the regular season or a typical 4th line grinder/tough guy forward in the playoffs. Other than a fluke tip in goal vs the jets and a goal that shouldn't have counted vs the caps, what else did he do in the playoffs that someone else couldn't do?

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
McPhee still thinks we need that tough guy as part of the toolbox.

Like I said, I'm not super worried about the money. GMGM's got plenty of space and (apparently) no internal cap.

We need to make sure we've still got space when it comes time to pay the young kids, though. Force the window open for the next 1-3 years and have enough space to keep Glass/Hague/etc around when it's time to pay.

I see it similarly. George overpaid a bit for a guy he wanted over a short term. Whoopideedoo. He fits a role and roster spot and they liked how he meshed with the roster. Fans want to get all crazy about $1.5M but honestly if you were to go out and acquire an unknown you could miss on the signing, happens all the time. Sometimes getting the guy you want for a little more is better than being frugal.

Also, we can see that they haven't overpaid across the board for guys they want. Way too much is being made of this. Reaves is going to add some nice grit to an otherwise speed based team over the next couple.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I see it similarly. George overpaid a bit for a guy he wanted over a short term. Whoopideedoo. He fits a role and roster spot and they liked how he meshed with the roster. Fans want to get all crazy about $1.5M but honestly if you were to go out and acquire an unknown you could miss on the signing, happens all the time. Sometimes getting the guy you want for a little more is better than being frugal.

Also, we can see that they haven't overpaid across the board for guys they want. Way too much is being made of this. Reaves is going to add some nice grit to an otherwise speed based team over the next couple.

He makes more than Haula for the next two years. He isn't close to worth it. Seems like a good guy and serves his own purpose on the team but McPhee gave him way too much.

We signed the deal and he's here and everyone has to deal with it. He brings something to the team and I would have been fine with him back for half what he's getting but he is way overpaid and this was unnecessary.

It's just being naive or homer-ish to say otherwise or shoo away concerns about it. What he brings is not rare at all and you can find it much cheaper.

You don't really miss when all you're swinging for is a guy who can give you some toughness, less than 10 points and maybe a few fights and hits along the way to 8 minutes a night.

You don't waste cap space with a hard cap. Brassard retention hit here, Clarkson LTIR annoyance there, an extra 1.5M for a fourth liner and you have enough for some desperately needed third line scoring depth.

You overpay for Reaves like players when you don't expect to contend for the duration of the contract.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Could not believe it when I first read the AAV and term on this deal. I like Ryno always liked him in the Note, but this is just stupid money and term for someone who is maybe gonna chip in 3-4 goals 8-10 points and play maybe 50-60 games 6-9 minutes a night. I mean I'm happy Reaver got paid, he's a great teammate and locker room guy but totally not worth 5 and a half million dollars.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Could not believe it when I first read the AAV and term on this deal. I like Ryno always liked him in the Note, but this is just stupid money and term for someone who is maybe gonna chip in 3-4 goals 8-10 points and play maybe 50-60 games 6-9 minutes a night. I mean I'm happy Reaver got paid, he's a great teammate and locker room guy but totally not worth 5 and a half million dollars.
As we bring up our 2017 draft picks soon, we need opponents to think twice about trying to send those kids to the hospital. Hockey isn't just points scored.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad