Realistic trade deadline outcomes???

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Who knows. Perhaps we package Bernier with Percy and get a 2nd plus prospect (like Poirier/Jankowski) from Calgary.
Impossible. Bernier has negative value right now. My idea is we trade Bernier to Calgary for Jonas Hiller and a conditional 2017 draft pick based on Bernier's performance next year.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'd see if the Canes would take Bernier for Cam Ward.

The Canes get a cheaper goalie who may rebound, and the Leafs get free capspace next season.

Hunters Rule

Feb 6, 2015
Which teams need centres? I'd love to see a team take Bozak off our hands.

We need to get a 1st or high 2nd plus a decent prospect or we are better off keeping him for either next year deadline or the year after as his return will grow and he will help the younger players coming up. Keep Reimer and yes he will play more consistent with Babcock at the helm than in past years as a starter until one of young goalies are ready. And please trade Bernier as soon as we can he will never be a top starter in the NHL. Also think if a team is willing to give us a late 1st in this good draft we should take it.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
I like Bozak but thats a big stretch.

role does not imply that he'll, or the line, will be anywhere close to Kane and Panarin's level. Simple fact is that the team's composition in the near future will feature a ton of guys that like the puck on their stick. Bozak's skillset will be a fine complement to the upcoming bluechip forward group, and be of good use in transitioning them from wing to center.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
seems the leafs are kicking tires on bernier.

not sure the leafs would get much for him with a year left and a shakey year at that, and netminders do usually get too much anyways...

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
I agree with Mess we should acquire 3rds to pay off our debts for Babcock and Lou.

PAP for 3rd
Polak for 3rd
Boyes for 4th

No one else will get anything. Who would want Grabner? Guy is ****ing ****. Give the later 3rd we acquire to NJ/DET and the other one next year or the one after.

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
After reading the articles from MLH, I'm thinking we will have one of the biggest liquidation of assets in recent memory.

Bernier
Bozak 90% chance he is going to be traded
Parenteau
Boyes
Grabner
Holland
Marincin
Froese
Matthias
Spaling
Winnik
Hunwick
Lupul

all gone by either the TDL or by next season.

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm
After reading the articles from MLH, I'm thinking we will have one of the biggest liquidation of assets in recent memory.

Bernier
Bozak
Parenteau
Boyes
Grabner
Holland
Marincin
Froese
Matthias
Spaling
Winnik
Hunwick
Lupul

Lupul? Who would take that... :help:

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
seems the leafs are kicking tires on bernier.

not sure the leafs would get much for him with a year left and a shakey year at that, and netminders do usually get too much anyways...

i would think bernier wants out .....the soft goals are never forgotten in toronto .bernier has let in some very soft ones ,i think his agent has been told to find a fit if it makessense for the leafs ,right now hes a real good AHL goalie but is paid like a goalie that can start sixty games ....hard to move

Duckrider

Oct 6, 2015
role does not imply that he'll, or the line, will be anywhere close to Kane and Panarin's level. Simple fact is that the team's composition in the near future will feature a ton of guys that like the puck on their stick. Bozak's skillset will be a fine complement to the upcoming bluechip forward group, and be of good use in transitioning them from wing to center.

Ok sorry did not quite get your point the first time. I am also hoping that they keep him for next year. I am wondering if they put Nylander on the wing to start?

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004

The Canes get a cheaper goalie who may rebound, and the Leafs get free capspace next season.

I was actually talking about this type of deal to a buddy yesterday.

Leafs might be better to hold onto Bernier though for the rest of the year to see if he can raise his value a bit more. His salary is going to be very cheap next season (2 million in actual salary) and might be more of a moveable asset after his signing bonus is paid out.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
The Leafs currently owe 3rd round picks to the Wings and NJ for Babcock and Lou Lam.

I expect the Leafs to attempt to deal some expiring contracts trying to obtain some later round picks so they can start paying off that coach and GM accounts which they bought on credit.

Might be smarter to wait until the last possible year to do that. I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that they have 3 years to pay the compensation back.

Acquire as many picks as you can now, and worry about moving picks years down the line when the pipeline is restocked and maybe the team is winning.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Maybe. I think he's been pretty bad though. Maybe he's injured. He's looked better lately at least.

Think this is the likely answer. Believe it was actually stated as such in Mirtles article.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015

Bernier
Parenteau
Boyes
Grabner
Holland
Marincin
Froese
Matthias
Spaling
Winnik
Hunwick
Lupul

I would gladly trade anyone on that list (except maybe Holland), but I think if we move 3 or 4 we will be doing well. A lot of our rentals just aren't performing as well as I would have hoped.
And our regulars on that list have warts, like a fat contract with Lupul, poor play with Bernier, etc.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Might be smarter to wait until the last possible year to do that. I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that they have 3 years to pay the compensation back.

Acquire as many picks as you can now, and worry about moving picks years down the line when the pipeline is restocked and maybe the team is winning.

Correct you have up to 3 years to pay off the compensation for management.

The catch is that the pick must be your own pick or a pick higher than your own. So Leafs owe 2 X 3rds in the next 3 years, so unfortunately you can't bump the payment too many years and almost its down to just this year really.

So I was thinking that while Leafs are still in transition and buying mode that they could acquire another 3rd this year and then also use their own pick to pay off Babs or Lou debt and we wouldn't feel the pick loss that way.

PS - Just in case others are not aware, that compensation rule has now been cancelled for future management hiring, but Leafs still owe a pair of 3rds while the rule was in place.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Spaling and Boyce could both be moved for a late pick.

I know what player you meant, but it's just funny that we had a Boyce as well.

--------

I hope we can move all of the free agents, but I doubt we can.

JoeyBeans

Jan 5, 2013
Halifax

Bernier
Parenteau
Boyes
Grabner
Holland
Marincin
Froese
Matthias
Spaling
Winnik
Hunwick
Lupul

Agree with this list - Matthias and Holland...

Tampa deal coming + Drouin

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario

right now I don't see that as a viable solution because Lack is playing well right now and Carolina is 6-3-1 in there last 10 so there not going to make a move like that while there winning, and there only 3 points out. but if they hit a bit of a rough patch and lost say 4-5 they probably be to far out by then to make the trade worth while, and I doubt they would want to add the salary next year. if Lack was playing terrible they might consider it but unfortunately he's not.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I won't be surprised if Corrado is traded

That would be such a dick move. Claim the guy on waivers, then sit him in the press box for 5 months before trading him for scraps.

I guess he got paid NHL money instead of being sent to the AHL to make a tenth of that, so there's that, but still. Guy needs to play somewhere.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013

Bernier
Parenteau
Boyes
Grabner
Holland
Marincin
Froese
Matthias
Spaling
Winnik
Hunwick
Lupul

Yes, that would be a giant liquidation sale for sure.

I'd guess that we will not have many serious suitors for the following list. If there is interest, I think they will provide low end returns (4th - 7th, maybe slightly higher on one or two):
  • Boyes
  • Grabner
  • Marincin
  • Froese
  • Matthias
  • Spaling

Hope I'm wrong on the above though. Polak is missing from the above list and could be moved.

Lupul is unmovable unless we retain, or take a large, ugly salary dump.

I'd guess that Bozak, Holland and Hunwick remain with the club. Bozak could fetch some interest, but unless a team provides a really good offer, I think he stays.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
right now I don't see that as a viable solution because Lack is playing well right now and Carolina is 6-3-1 in there last 10 so there not going to make a move like that while there winning, and there only 3 points out. but if they hit a bit of a rough patch and lost say 4-5 they probably be to far out by then to make the trade worth while, and I doubt they would want to add the salary next year. if Lack was playing terrible they might consider it but unfortunately he's not.

Interesting of note in Friendman's 30 Thoughts:

23. One opposing GM made a good point about Hurricanes. If they do let both Eric Staal and Cam Ward walk, how will they reach the salary floor?

Carolina is around $11M above the baseline with $25-$30M coming off the payroll. None of their young core need extensions yet. It’s an interesting question, because you want that flexibility.

They’ll have all summer to figure it out, and plenty of options to “help†others needing financial freedom.

Might make sense for them to try and obtain Bernier. His salary dips after his bonus is paid out (drops to 2m) but his cap hit is 4.15m. They could be a team that comes knocking maybe after the bonus is paid, because I don't think you'll get a cheaper gamble on the market.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad