Realignment: NYR, LAK, Chi, Bos, Phi, Dal in one division?

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
Anyway - if it's true that ratings drop when Canadian teams are involved in the final - what's up with that? Any theories?

It's probably because the ratings are from the US networks and don't include CBC. You put the Leafs against anyone in the Stanley Cup finals and I don't think you could get more viewers.

bighph

Nov 7, 2006
Virginia
The Bruins have no real rivalries with any of those teams. Their rivals (and biggest gate attractions) are all in the Northeast. The Bruins have no connection to any of the Atlantic teams, let alone Western Conference teams.

I have to disagree with my fellow east-coaster here. It's not the Bruins fans that we need. We already have them. We need the more of Boston to BE bruins fans. The same goes for two dozen other cities.

Hockey is already popular with our good neighbors to the north. The way to grow the sport is to increase interest among the people in the lower 48. This will only happen for one reason: Nielson ratings.

Advertisers pay for eyes and ears. Media content providers (print, radio, television, web) want advertiser's cash.

The key is: Nielson ratings.
The expansion of media choices has exploded, and with the notable exception of the SuperBowl, nearly everything has seen a precipitous drop in numbers or readers, listeners or viewers. The large-markey match-ups using

First, the story of "Increased Nielsen Ratings for the NHL" would show up in the marketing publications and the the Wall Street Journal. Next the NY Times and cable-financial shows would cover it. Finally, ESPN does a special show about the resurgence of hockey's popularity.

The Boston-New York rivalry has been great for at least 88 years. The fact that has 9.8 million potential households (just locally) is great. N.Y. - L.A. is almost 13 million households.

The NHL made its first step with the "celebrity blogging" in the playoffs. Pointing out celebrities in the crowd helps with mass-appeal. I'd rather have an arena full of blue-collar hockey fans, but it's not about that I want, but about increasing mass appeal. That will allow revenue sharing to keep the smaller market teams viable.

Maybe something like the MLB inter-league "rivalries" couls be used to keep the traditional rivalries going as well?

I know that ESPN is trying to soccer as the best of football (great hits and defense) and basketball (fast-paced action). For me, soccer is great game for little kids. Hockey is a sport.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
What do you guys think?

I think it is time that people accept that the NHL will never generate huge national TV ratings in the United States. It doesn't matter how stupid, wild or "out there" the idea is, it just is not going to happen.

Accept that TV in the US will always be regionally focussed, and feel good about yourselves.

jacko23

Lurkers unite!
Jul 8, 2007
Lehigh Valley, PA
What do you guys think?

If the NHL is serious about TV ratings, this is the way to go. Have all the top market teams in one division. At least for a couple years, to loop in viewers.

I can't imagine being a Bruins fan and not playing New York and Philly and even LA. Those are traditional rivals!

"Hockey Night in the USA, this Saturday night. The New York Rangers host the Los Angeles Kings!"

I like it.

as much as i love the rangers and would love a couple more chances to rag on some kings and blackhawk fans i know, i think that idea is idiotic. geographically, those teams are located nowhere near each other for it to make any sense. :huh: :loony: :joker: :dunno: :speechles: :banghead: :tmi:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad