Re-Tool or full on Rebuild?

Kaapodonna

What me worry?
Dec 8, 2007
New Jersey
Title says it all. There seems to be 2 different opinions around. 1 Being tear it down, trade every one of value. And 2 keep the core group of young guys and try to rebuild the parts around them.

I am of the opinion that we can re-tool. We have allot of good young guys on this team. If we could move guys like Nash, G, Staal, Staal, etc for picks and prospects, or just letting them walk, I think we would be in a better spot. Our center depth is great, and we have some great kids ready to step in on D. Just really need to get some wingers in my opinion (easier said than done).

:Edit: never mind it worked:

Last edited:

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
I voted to keep our young core, rebuilding is too dramatic, but we do need an overhaul.

(A friendly reminder, its 'tear' not 'tare' :)

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Can always re-tool. The Sharks were supposed to be headed for the can after that 3-0 blown lead to LA and the missed playoffs last year.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Re-tool, if we just shed the deadweight, older guys(Girardi, Staal, Glass, Nash too if need be). Incorporate some young blood and energy, speedy guys into the lineup who fit our system well.

Kaapodonna

What me worry?
Dec 8, 2007
New Jersey
I think someone will be making a similar thread in two years, if we choose re-tool.

You don't think the young guys are good enough to re-tool around? I still think Kreider will turn into a great player for us. JT took a nice step forward this year. Step, Brass, and Zucca had great years. Mcl, Skjei, are gonna be good (if AV doesn't run Dylan out of town).

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
tear it down. our young core isnt McDavid, Hall, and Draisaitl. It's Kreider, Miller and Stepan. McDavid might end up being better than all 3 of them combined.

The Oilers need to retool to fix their team. We need to start over. Im find with keeping those guys, but i dont think you can build around them, i think they are players you put around better players.

Kaapodonna

What me worry?
Dec 8, 2007
New Jersey
tear it down. our young core isnt McDavid, Hall, and Draisaitl. It's Kreider, Miller and Stepan. McDavid might end up being better than all 3 of them combined.

The Oilers need to retool to fix their team. We need to start over. Im find with keeping those guys, but i dont think you can build around them, i think they are players you put around better players.

I can respect that. But do you need that guy to win it all? I think you can do just as well with a well rounded lineup.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

I'm in this camp.

a decent group, but no building blocks other than maybe McDonagh.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
You don't think the young guys are good enough to re-tool around

No, I really don't. If you do a league wide ranking of talent ages 18-28, we probably would be in the bottom 10 of teams around the NHL. There are some really big problems that need to be filled, first pair RHD, another two first line forwards, including a true #1C. Unless you find those pieces immediately in the next two or three seasons, I don't think a rebuild will work.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Personally I think it's unrealistic to expect the Rangers to do anything other than re-tool. They're not going to tear it down and start over by being a really bad team and hope to get a good high draft pick sometime int he next 5 years and then hope they can put together a good team after that.

They're not going to do it so I'm not even going to bother concocting a scenario around it and I think anyone thinking "complete rebuild" is just going to be frustrated when they don't.

On the other hand I think a ton of people thought the team needed a complete rebuild before they had their latest runs at the cup.

What they need is to strike gold with some later round pick turning into a legit superstar which is what is really making things difficult for the Rangers

Jan 8, 2012
NY
You don't think the young guys are good enough to re-tool around? I still think Kreider will turn into a great player for us. JT took a nice step forward this year. Step, Brass, and Zucca had great years. Mcl, Skjei, are gonna be good (if AV doesn't run Dylan out of town).

I agree with Pavel. You need elite skaters to build the team around. The guys you mentioned are nice complimentary players, some better than others, but they are not good enough to form a "core" group of a Stanley Cup Winner.

Keith-Toews-Kane
Doughty-Kopitar
Ekblad
McDavid
Crosby-Malkin-Letang
Prime Chara-Bergeron
Lidstrom-Datsyuk-Zetterberg

Those are all cores you can really build around.

McDonagh-Stepan-Brassard is not good enough.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
Retool, I'd love for this team to rebuild and become a powerhouse in a handful of years but having Hank in net wont allow a full rebuild. We lost 4 of 5 in the playoffs with a ******* defense in front of him but it won't be the same during the regular season, imo he'll keep this team very much afloat enough to keep us drafting around 10ish for the next couple seasons. Those draft picks are valuable but I think a full rebuild would require top 5ish picks that I don't think a team backstopped by Hank will achieve. Also don't wana hear "than trade lundqvist", he's not going anywhere between him loving the city, being the face of the franchise, and an 8.5 mil cap hit he'll be retiring here.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I can respect that. But do you need that guy to win it all? I think you can do just as well with a well rounded lineup.

going back as far as 2000-01 season, every team that has won the cup has had an elite level talent (in most cases 3 or 4).

I doubt you are going to be able to win a cup with a well rounded team.

KingWantsCup

#FightLikeHell
Jul 3, 2009
New Jersey
I'm in this camp.

a decent group, but no building blocks other than maybe McDonagh.

A total blow up would be an emotional decision and cause rebuild to needlessly become significantly longer.

A core of Kreider, Stepan, Miller, McD, and Zuke is excellent to build around. Sure, today that's not that exciting, but if you add to that a Tavares or Kane like player or two that you get from tanking, then you're talking business. Trade offs from the 28 year olds not named Zuke will also help accelerate this process.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA

i really dont think you can...just my 2 cents...how many teams have won without at least 2 stars on their forward line? Kings had Kopitar, Carter, and Gabby as guys you could say are star caliber players...and thats completely ignoring the eventual Conn Smythe winner, and Drew Doughty.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
A total blow up would be an emotional decision and cause rebuild to needlessly become significantly longer.

A core of Kreider, Stepan, Miller, McD, and Zuke is excellent to build around. Sure, today that's not that exciting, but if you add to that a Tavares or Kane like player or two that you get from tanking, then you're talking business. Trade offs from the 28 year olds not named Zuke will also help accelerate this process.

yeah, except you will not tank with those players. Rangers had Nash out of the lineup for a large stretch, they still won. they had zuke out of the playoffs, they still won. we have all the pieces to be a perennial 4-5 points out of a playoff spot team. that leads to picks in the top 10...which leads to guys like Dylan McIlrath who our effing coach won't play anyways.

youre not getting Kane or Tavares...number 1 picks, without completely dismantling this team.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
i really dont think you can...just my 2 cents...how many teams have won without at least 2 stars on their forward line? Kings had Kopitar, Carter, and Gabby as guys you could say are star caliber players...and thats completely ignoring the eventual Conn Smythe winner, and Drew Doughty.

So, you'd rather the team purposely suck for the next six years, screw the people paying $180 a seat, for what could end up being an Edmonton Oilers situation?

No guarantees with a tank job.

It's also the coward's way out, and what a stupid expansion team does.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
To be honest, I feel like this team improves greatly by subtracting players mentioned above. The hard part is the stupid NMC's and NTC's that make moving some of the guys impossible. There are teams that will take the bad money away, but then these players will refuse playing for those teams because they're terrible and just want to hit the cap floor.

Without even signing a new player, outside of our RFA's, system and prospects, I'd be happy to just remove these problems and go into next season with the main core and the young guys.

Miller-Brass-Zucc
Kreider-Stepan-Buchnevich
Lindberg-Hayes-Fast
Nieves-Fogarty-Hrivik (or any 3 prospects that can make up 4th line)

McD-Klein
Skjei-McIlrath
Graves-Bodi/Diaz/Andersson

With already signed contracts 16-17 cap hit is at $55M
Removing Nash, G, Staal, Glass = approx. $20M

With RFA signings and these prospect fill-ins you're looking at $40-45M in cap hits. I'll even go high end and say $50M to fill that temporary lineup above, leaving about $20-24M to fill in the gaps and upgrade.

You upgrade that top 6 with a veteran scorer and Buch becomes 3rd line threat creating more depth. Upgrade that RH D spot and you push down McI with Graves creating the twin towers on the 3rd pairing and either Klein with Skjei or a new vet to play with Skjei.

There would still be money to play with and add temp upgrades or just have money for the TDL. A couple solid vet 4th liners pushes some of the rookies back down to develop and cover injuries.

TL;DR = Remove 4 sore spot players from this team and it's ready to compete for multiple years with a fairly young core. It's going to be hard to remove those players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad