Salary Cap: Re-shape our current roster using a 64.3 mil salary cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
What's the point? It's $71.4M.

This one is on a short leash.

I think this one goes to the other thread were WC was harped on that Shero made his own cap hell due to giving out poor contracts.

I'll bite.

Still will not let me publish a team without registering (which I refuse to do). But here it is. Basically... I just reversed the 3 contracts that Shero gave out that do not really fit this team - Kunitz, Dupuis, Scuderi.

Kunitz to Anaheim for Friberg,2016 3rd. Scuderi to ARI for a 2018 7th. If that doesn't work, feel free to retain salary or even add a pick to make it more platable for ARI. I put Dupuis on LTIR. However if that's not an option, then you use him and do not sign Tlusty.

Perron - Crosby - Hornqvist
Plotnikov - Malkin - Kessel
Tlusty - Bonino - Bennett
Rust - Fehr - Wilson
Farnham

Maatta - Letang
Pouliot - Cole
Dumoulin - Lovejoy
Erixon/X

MAF
Zatkoff

With Dupuis on LTIR and Tlusty signed: 61.45m
With Dupuis on the roster and Tlusty not signed: 64.27m

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Why?

The point is that several people have pointed out how much our depth has improved since the last regime. Shrewd moves have been part of it, but an extra 7 mil in cap space helps a lot more than most realize. I'm giving everyone an opportunity to show how well they could make a roster using what the last GM had to work with.

You can still have depth if you do not have crappy contracts on the books.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
You can still have depth if you do not have crappy contracts on the books.

Yes you can but in this scenario we can't just ship out Scuds, Kunitz, and Dupuis. That's not realistic. That said, I think I laid out a pretty fair view of what a Shero 71MM cap roster would look like on the previous page.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
That's true, it should be accounted for. Factor it into the equation. League minimum is fairly inconsequential though.

But you can't just say "trade Scuds for picks" either, because if it were that easy it'd already have been done. Someone other than Scuds would have to be moved.

At the very least you'd have to move one of Kunitz/Dupuis/Perron, IMO.

So your objective here is to handcuff anyone attempting to build a roster with the ****** contracts Shero signed at the end there (specifically Scuderi)? That contract is one of the main reasons Shero did not have cap space to add depth.

You keep harping on the fact that Rutherford had an additional 7m in cap space to work with, without acknowledging that Shero shot himself in the foot cap wise when he handed out that contract to Scuderi, and to a lesser extent Kunitz and Dupuis.

Rutherford didn't just gain 7m cap space in a bubble. Sure that's part of it... but he also gained cap space when he traded Neal for Hornqvist (gained 750k), allowed Jokinen to walk (wanted 4m), allowed Orpik and Niskanen to walk (signed for 11.25m combined). Then this summer he didn't sign Martin and Ehrhoff to new deals and traded Sutter. When did Shero really ever allow someone to walk? And other than the Staal trade, when did he really ever trade someone off his roster?

So yeah, while Rutherford did have a higher cap to work with... he also hasn't signed a single player to a contract that there's little chance they can live up to, and if they do not, there's little long term consequences or cap issues to deal with. Shero did both with 3 different players. Again, I cannot stress this enough... Shero didn't have depth or cap space because of the contracts he choose to give to players. You can point out that MacA isn't anything special - and I'd agree with you... but on this team 15 mths ago, I would have much rather had MacA then Scuderi. And I would have rather had him last year as well.

Last edited:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
If we really want to look at what the last GM had to work with, why don't we go back to the last time he had a chance to work on this roster? Which I suppose is why you chose the $64.3M cap mark.

Now, take that roster, and do something with it.

For the record, that offseason was when Kennedy was traded to the Sharks, Adams was re-signed to a 2-year contract and Scuderi was signed to a 4-year contract.

Good post. Dupuis was signed at the same time.

Basically... when the cap was that low, was also when Shero made his own cap hell at the cost of getting any real depth on this team.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
okay, I'll re-shape the roster using 64.3MM in cap space.

Step 1)

Travel back in time to when the cap was 64.3MM

Step 2)

Don't sign Scuderi, Kunitz, and Dupuis to new contracts

Step 3)

Do ridiculously-easy **** because I'm not an idiot who just tied up $12,000,000 in 4-year contracts for declining role players in their mid-30s.

Step 4)

Get to spend time with my internet groupies

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
The recent problems with our cap really started when Ray decided to sign Scuds rather than let any of our younger D men play in the low cap year. There were strong indications we were going to sign Clark McArthur, who ended up taking a 3.25m x 2 year deal with Ottawa and put up a 55 point season. But then the Scuds signing was announced instead.

This whole thread doesn't make much sense, Shero screwed up our cap situation, and put us in a position that we had to pay Dupuis and Kunitz what we did. Shero was here forever, he didn't have to clean up any messes. He inherited Crosby, Malkin, Letang and Fleury and could only manage to win 1 cup. He even screwed up the 2nd overall pick in his first draft. What would Sid and Geno have done with Toews or Kessel all this time instead of Staal?

You're just going to have to face the fact that JR, a guy with a mixed record, managed to accomplish more roster wise in 14 months than Shero did in eight years is upsetting for Shero fans. But just be happy Sid and Geno finally have a chance.

It does if you consider the agenda of the guy who started the thread.

Again, Shero can't force FAs to sign with him, GMs to trade with him, see the future at the draft table or determine what the salary cap is. Wasting 6 years of Sid and Geno's careers isn't his fault. No one could possibly run a successful NHL team with all that going against him.

Last edited:

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
When did Shero have cap space when he didn't have to worry about keeping the core together and there were good wing options that we passed up? And I swear to God, if anyone tries to talk about Clarke MacArthur, I'll punch them through the computer screen. :laugh:

Well don't punch me through the screen :)

But the reason I bring it up, is that it's indicative of Shero's inability to determine what the team needed (and let's not even get into the DB fiasco, which was also on him), and further to be myopic about his forward upgrades. Ray was forever chasing the big splash, and ignoring smaller fish. Every year we seemed to have a Hossa, Parise, Kesler, etc we'd be after to the exclusion of guys like MacArthur. And it's really guys like him at his cap hit and age that could have pushed a Dupuis or Kunitz down the lineup or off the team.

Last year was a good first step in remaking our bottom 6, but those players were largely add-ons and band-aids like Spaling, Downie and Goc. But they were still a lot better than Kobesew, Pyatt, Glass, etc etc. This year we're finally seeing some quality depth AND top end talent added.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
It does if you consider the agenda of the guy who started the thread.

Again, Shero can't force FAs to sign with him, GMs to trade with him, see the future at the draft table or determine what the salary cap is. Wasting 6 years of Sid and Geno's careers isn't his fault. No one could possibly run a successful NHL team with all that going against him.

is this sarcasm? literally every nhl team runs under those conditions and believe it or not a lot of them are successful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad