Re-Draft Michael Rasmussen Selected 19th Overall

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
If Vilardi stays healthy - a huge if - he's gonna be top 10 from this draft for sure.
His skill is undeniable.
Too bad Chytil is listed @ 11 because he will be a good one.

Some others do not have Vilardi's talent.

Rasmussen should not drop that much. That dude must be a Blues fan.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Just imagine if Holland wouldn't have traded Datsyuk, they drafted Chychurn, then they passed up Smirh and grabbed Hronek with their own 2nd.

No Frans Nielsen, another top 4 D, and a much brighter future.

If they stayed at #16 Chychurn isn't who they were picking so there is that...

On two of the most talked about what if players recently Vilardi and Chychrun I have heard they didn't have first round grades on them in our scouting department. You can discuss whether or not that was correct, I think it certainly was on the first one but injuries have played a massive part though that was a part of his demotion anyway with them knowing him well from Windsor but we weren't picking those guys...

Necas and Fabbro are actually who we are probably talking about if we change history. I am guessing they take Cholowski if they stay at #16. Believe it or not they took Rasmussen because they saw it as a bigger homerun pick on potential something this board champions for. We will see, both guys are developmental projects, we have to do our part there. On big power forwards, they usually take longer, thought Ras looked very good before injury, starting to get worried about how often the big guy is knicked up himself, but at least they aren't core injuries on an already slow player.

I will say this if you draft Fabbro your chances of drafting Hronek with a similar build and game, along with the right shot greatly reduce. Also, Yzerman prefers bigger D, while I think he is going to carry Hronek with the long term picture, I think one of them would be on the block if they were both in our system. More likely we look for a left handed puck mover back in the original draft, but there are so many ripple effects to this notion. Just saying the worst one when people talk about it is staying at 16 and selecting Chychrun, because we weren't doing that...

Last edited:

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Just imagine if Holland wouldn't have traded Datsyuk, they drafted Chychurn, then they passed up Smirh and grabbed Hronek with their own 2nd.

No Frans Nielsen, another top 4 D, and a much brighter future.
Don't play this game. It never works man.

Reactions: avssuc

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Frans Nielsen quarantees us higher picks and brighter future.

Hronek is already equal with Chychrun, so we don't lose that trade any way. Cholowski's development determines how big win that will be.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
Just imagine if he drafted Larkin at 15 then Point at 73 instead of Turgeon! What an idiot! If only he had the ability to draft in hindsight!
Scouts are so stupid!

If you read my other comment (that followed in quick succession) you'd understand that it was wishful thinking, not criticism.

Thanks for taking time to leave a measured, thoughtful, and topical reply. We are all better off when people take time out of their day to make curt characterizations while ignoring context and tone.

You, sir, are a message forum hero. The scouts are undoubtedly proud, and you should receive your promotion from message forum poster to proscout as soon as they can process the paperwork.

Last edited:

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
On draft day... I wanted Robert Thomas.
Would have been happy with Necas or Liljegren.
Then Vilardi fell and I wanted him in the worst way.

That said, Robert Thomas is EXACTLY what I hoped he might be. Somewhere between Filppula and Datsyuk as a center. Uncanny hockey sense. Terrific passer.

Start watching at 6:00
He takes over.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
On draft day... I wanted Robert Thomas.
Would have been happy with Necas or Liljegren.
Then Vilardi fell and I wanted him in the worst way.

That said, Robert Thomas is EXACTLY what I hoped he might be. Somewhere between Filppula and Datsyuk as a center. Uncanny hockey sense. Terrific passer.

Start watching at 6:00
He takes over.

Slick. Also nice goal from De La Rose at 7:52

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think I either had him ranked either #17 or #19 prior to that draft. Believe I had him right after Rob Thomas.

I wanted Vilardi, Necas, or Suzuki for us IIRC (prior to knowledge of Vilardi’s back issues).

Cody Glass is underrated from that draft, he’s going to be a beast.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018

Hronek is already equal with Chychrun, so we don't lose that trade any way. Cholowski's development determines how big win that will be.
Hronek is not equal to Chychrun. Hronek hasn't even played a full season in the NHL (82 games) while Chychrun has over 200 NHL games under his belt....

TheClap

Jul 20, 2014
Hronek is not equal to Chychrun. Hronek hasn't even played a full season in the NHL (82 games) while Chychrun has over 200 NHL games under his belt....

Thanks, in large part, to being drafted by an organization that conscientiously tries to remain near the cap basement and brings their prospects up at much quicker rate.

Chychrun's NHL experience is similar to Hronek's if Detroit drafts him.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018

Yeah I was about to say. I get what he's saying and Wings would of definately be better off but the Datsyuk thing was a bit out of Hollands control... The Cholowski book isn't finished either. An they(Red Wings) were still attempting to be competitive with or without Datsyuk on the roster(he was retiring and going to Russia either way, trade or no trade.)

Now the attempt/move was good, just not executed perfect cause Cholowski isn't what Chychrun is yet or... honestly maybe ever but doesn't mean Cholowski can't be good/solid. It's pretty much beating a dead-horse, Yeah the money should of been spent elsewhere than Nielsen/Helm long-term that year. We know it. They'd of been better off just giving Steven Stamkos the money(so far) over 8 years vs spending 10 million on those two for 5. But it's just beating a dead horse really, not many wanna hear about it anymore. :surrender

Last edited:

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
To me redrafts should only be done when enough of these guys have at least 150+ games played. Also in a redraft isn't the point of it, to be where would they go based on current NHL/pro performance and no longer on potential, therefore players with 0 games in the NHL should not be above anyone with NHL experience, unless a really good player just happened to be on a stacked NHL roster, and was stuck in the AHL because of lack of room, which I am not really sure exists anymore if you are talking about elite prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad