Re-Draft Michael Rasmussen Selected 19th Overall

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
In this re-draft (link, no paywall), Martin Necas is selected 8th by Buffalo Sabres, so he wouldn't be available to us. Sharks select Michael Rasmussen at 19th...

Leaving Detroit taking Erik Brännström.
A puck moving defenseman with excellent skating skills. Brännström has impressive offensive instincts and hockey sense. Plays a pretty good defensive game, which will improve further with increased strength to go with his rather modest height. Passing ability stands out, shot is good and he loves to control the PP. (EP 2017)

Source - No Paywall - Erik Brännström at eliteprospects.com

Personally, I am still happy with Rasmussen and while he isn't the most skilled and best player, he is a unique specimen that you can't just easily find and will no-doubt be an impact NHL player at some capacity.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Gotta wonder why the hell people need to amuse themselves by putting together a redraft for players just starting their D+3 season.

Only 10 players have more than half an NHL season under their belt. That threshold prevents the inclusion of Necas, Glass, Suzuki, Makar, Frost, Poehling, Valimaki, Hague, Comtois, Vilardi, Tippett, Tolvanen, Brannstrom.

How are we going to redraft based on such limited NHL exposure for so many players?

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I still think that was good choice. He is great at net front , now he is learning different aspects of the game

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Gotta wonder why the hell people need to amuse themselves by putting together a redraft for players just starting their D+3 season.

Only 10 players have more than half an NHL season under their belt. That threshold prevents the inclusion of Necas, Glass, Suzuki, Makar, Frost, Poehling, Valimaki, Hague, Comtois, Vilardi, Tippett, Tolvanen, Brannstrom.

How are we going to redraft based on such limited NHL exposure for so many players?

I believe the website I linked to is interactive and changes frequently based on what players are doing. It last updated December 5th. They moved Gabriel Vilardi to 24th... which still might be too high for him.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
Is 10 spots that many when at the edge of the top 10 in a draft with not too much hype? Isn't it still a bit early for a redraft?

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
Unfortunate he appears to have so much injury trouble, seems like constant hand/shoulder issues. Hopefully he can overcome all of that and still become a top end net front player, but it's definitely worrying at this point.

Reactions: nhlisawesome

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

How are we going to redraft based on such
limited NHL exposure for so many players?

Gotta wonder why people shit on sports fans shooting the breeze about the sport they love, and the teams and players they follow.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Just imagine if Holland wouldn't have traded Datsyuk, they drafted Chychurn, then they passed up Smirh and grabbed Hronek with their own 2nd.

No Frans Nielsen, another top 4 D, and a much brighter future.

Would have taken Fabbro over Chychrun.
But I don't think Detroit passes up on Smith - obviously, since they drafted him first.

And no Nielsen is a nice thing too.

Reactions: Marky9er

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
But I don't think Detroit passes up on Smith - obviously, since they drafted him first.

I fully understand that they took Hronek after, so I assumed as much. It was just a fantastic 'what-if'. Passing on Chychurn would have been pretty shocking with that pick, considering the players that had on D in the NHL and below.

And I assume the comment about Nielsen was sarcastic... unless you've missed the season so far, along with much of last season.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I fully understand that they took Hronek after, so I assumed as much. It was just a fantastic 'what-if'. Passing on Chychurn would have been pretty shocking with that pick, considering the players that had on D in the NHL and below.

And I assume the comment about Nielsen was sarcastic... unless you've missed the season so far, along with much of last season.

No... I'm agreeing with you on Nielsen.
Even if we didn't get Hronek...
I'd see Fabbro and No Nielsen as a nice development.
But honestly, Holland would have spent that money somewhere stupid anyway.

Reactions: avssuc

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
No... I'm agreeing with you on Nielsen.
Even if we didn't get Hronek...
I'd see Fabbro and No Nielsen as a nice development.
But honestly, Holland would have spent that money somewhere stupid anyway.

Ahh, my bad.

Yea, not sure Holland was in charge at all around that time. I suppose we won't really know about the level of owner control until Holland clears the air, probably after retirement.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I wish we took Dillon Dube instead of Smith. That kids good.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
I’d likely have ras about 13th in this exercise. But, it’s soooo early. He has the potential to be a getzlaf type player. His floor imo is much higher than some of these guys so it just depends on what you value. I can’t see him not scoring 20+ in his prime. I would bet my house. If you ask me, that kind of certainty at 9 is irreplaceable.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I totally hated that Daytsuk contract dump but if it worked out with Hronek and Neilsen is helping us get a high draft pick so what-evs. Not sure if this is any bearing on the discussion. Yzerman took Howden at 27 in that draft. I hope that is a sign of things to come.

An NHL roster player of almost any nature is good outside of the top 5 all things considered. So if Ras turns into a solid 3rd liner I think that is fine. Just kinda sucks to blow a high pick. Hopefully he rounds out.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Well I wouldn't trade Ras straight up for Brannstrom. I'm sure Ras drops a bit in most redrafts, but most redrafts are also kinda dumb (Tolvanen went top 10 in some redrafts done in earlier years).

Just imagine if Holland wouldn't have traded Datsyuk, they drafted Chychurn, then they passed up Smirh and grabbed Hronek with their own 2nd.

Don't understand the obsession with Chychrun, or still counting out Smith. Most importantly, Hronek is the best piece involved, and one way to increase draft odds is to add extra picks. Removing the Datsyuk trade removes the extra pick = the entire reason we have Hronek.

Last edited:

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Well I wouldn't trade Ras straight up for Brannstrom. I'm sure Ras drops a bit in most redrafts, but most redrafts are also kinda dumb (Tolvanen went top 10 in some redrafts done in earlier years).

Don't understand the obsession with Chychrun, or still counting out Smith. Most importantly, Hronek is the best piece involved, and one way to increase draft odds is to add extra picks. Removing the Datsyuk trade removes the extra pick = the entire reason we have Hronek.

That's a great point. The reason why Detroit has Hronek is because of the compensatory pick from Arizona. Chychrun = no Cholo and no Hronek.

Is Chychrun better than both Cholowski and Hronek? I still think that was a brilliant trade/fleecing by Ken Holland.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON

Any Redraft done earlier than 5 years is highly unreliable...

I think the best data we have for a redraft would be 2014, 2015 years. maybe prelim data on 2016 but that's pushing it.

Reactions: Oddbob

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

Just imagine if he drafted Larkin at 15 then Point at 73 instead of Turgeon! What an idiot! If only he had the ability to draft in hindsight!
Scouts are so stupid!

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
This is just some random person's redraft ranking. Some laughable names ahead of Rasmussen

My first clue that this was not exactly expert opinion is that they moved Eeli Tolvanen up 18 places when he's been a disappointment. Have less hype than when you were drafted? Oh hell yeah, move that boy up to first class!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad