Marek 7th
ISS 8th
Dobber Prospects 9th
The Draft Analyst 10th
Button 10th
The Hockey prospects 10th
NACS 11th

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2017-draft/2017-nhl-draft-rankings

All those publications that had him in the Leafs range. Oh it was only 2 out of 12 that had him 17 or lower. I'll give you McKenzie too and hell Pronman(13), and Kennedy(14) and it's still only 5 of 12 that had him in "the Leafs range" under the loose defintion. The other 7 had him 11 or higher.

But everyone wants to continue to only quote McKenzie and pretend it's the only one that matters(but only when it suits them) so here goes. McKenzie had him at 12 just after the last time Liljegren played pre-draft at the U18's. All that resting must not have looked very good on Liljegren to have him drop to 16 in the meantime.

This discussion is dumb anyway, at least it meant something around the draft. It's completely meaningless now.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
This is so tiring. Liljegren is going to be playing well in the NHL someday and people will still be on that "well he went 17th, calm down Leafs fans" thing.

Well Erik Karlsson went 15th overall and he's clearly not a good defenseman because he went 15th overall. So I'd hope that 17th overall gives the Leafs a defenseman that is at least half as bad as Karlsson. That would be great.

Luddowich

May 1, 2013
Sweden
Kylington and Day both had incredible hype heading into the draft year or -1 draft year. Draft pedigree plays a role in their trade value the first few years, that's about it.
It's not really the same situation, neither Day or Kylington had mono in their draft season or something similar that COULD HAVE been a major factor in their decline in play.
Kylington was injured, but it happened during the world juniors pre-games. So it's pretty pointless comparisons since they're not similar.

I have to say though, surprised of the lack of attention Kylington gets to his start of the season, 5 pts in 6 AHL games as a 20 year old.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
They play nothing alike.

It's the tactic these guys use. Remember Nylander?

"He's going to bust, his attitude issues and lack of effort won't work in NA"

* Lights up the SHL*

"He's Gagner.. Small player who is good with space but won't last in the NHL and in smaller ice"

*Lights up the Marlies*

"Lets see him do it in the NHL"

*Lights it up in the NHL*

"... Your recent first rounder sucks"

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
It's the tactic these guys use. Remember Nylander?

"He's going to bust, his attitude issues and lack of effort won't work in NA"

* Lights up the SHL*

"He's Gagner.. Small player who is good with space but won't last in the NHL and in smaller ice"

*Lights up the Marlies*

"Lets see him do it in the NHL"

*Lights it up in the NHL*

"... Your recent first rounder sucks"

Liljegren is the defensive Gagner.

Reactions: TDK88

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
It's not really the same situation, neither Day or Kylington had mono in their draft season or something similar that COULD HAVE been a major factor in their decline in play.
Kylington was injured, but it happened during the world juniors pre-games. So it's pretty pointless comparisons since they're not similar.

I have to say though, surprised of the lack of attention Kylington gets to his start of the season, 5 pts in 6 AHL games as a 20 year old.

If you would like to remedy that, post on the Kylington thread.

Liljegren has 4 points in 6 games and looks real good as an 18 year old. He's two years younger than Kylington. Kylington at the same age had 12 points in 47 games.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
This is so tiring. Liljegren is going to be playing well in the NHL someday and people will still be on that "well he went 17th, calm down Leafs fans" thing.

It’s also a bit tiring that many leafs fans just assume he’s going to be playing well in the NHL someday. He’s a good prospect, and I’d have been thrilled to get him where the Leafs did. But he isn’t a lock to be Karlsson-lite.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
It’s also a bit tiring that many leafs fans just assume he’s going to be playing well in the NHL someday. He’s a good prospect, and I’d have been thrilled to get him where the Leafs did. But he isn’t a lock to be Karlsson-lite.

The tiring part is people continually referring to his draft position or rankings as a way to downplay him. If people want to critique him after watching him this year in the AHL/WJC, that's a different story.

leafsfan1234

Jun 18, 2016
Almost as tiring as the fans of other teams who come into this thread to police the hype on a guy they don't even watch.

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014

He's offensive talents are undeniable though. With his skating and creativity, you'd think there will be a spot for him in the NHL. Whether or not he can round out his game and dominate is different, but he's offensive talent should at least make him a force with a more defensive partner. It'll be interesting to see Liljegren, Dahlin, Boqvist at the world juniors this year!

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Where a player is taken at the draft becomes absolutely meaningless the second after their name is called.

Not to mention, when it comes to d men, it's not as if the top 10 picks are a slam dunk - just take a look at recent Norris winners who were 2nd round picks or so

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
He's offensive talents are undeniable though. With his skating and creativity, you'd think there will be a spot for him in the NHL. Whether or not he can round out his game and dominate is different, but he's offensive talent should at least make him a force with a more defensive partner. It'll be interesting to see Liljegren, Dahlin, Boqvist at the world juniors this year!

Assuming his offense translates, yeah. But these types of players (Makar is another) need the offense to translate in a big way to be great at the NHL level. If you end up with a 40 point defender who is subpar defensively, it’s definitely a nice addition, but not someone to build a defense around. And unless a guy is absolutely dominating at a lower level, I have trouble just assuming he’s going to put up monster numbers in the NHL.

We’ll see. I assume he’ll get 9 games next year, if he doesn’t get them this year. It’ll be interesting to see how he does.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix

Anyone who assumes he a sure fire anything (Karlsson lite or bust) is a moron. Everything Liljegren has done though so far suggests his pre draft concerns were overblown. People focused so much on his "weak" defensive play but his skating might be the best in the draft and he has elite puck skills. Far from a guarantee but he is looking more and more like the real deal.

Reactions: TDK88 and DanM
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad