RD Timothy Liljegren (2017, 17th, TOR) IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

TAYGB52

Sep 20, 2018
Looks damn good so far! I wanted Foote but was not disappointed with Lily and he’s only getting better

UNITEDSTATESOFHOCKEY

Jan 5, 2018
I think he's NHL ready this time next year

I'm willing to bet he gets a look yet this year, especially since its not looking like the Leafs will be able to afford to resign Gardiner so he may get moved by the trade deadline, what you give up in offense in losing gardiner they might gain in awareness in their own end with Liljegren....

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Hope he gets called up towards the end of the year + playoffs, very interested to see how he looks on the powerplay. Could potentially be the reason the Leafs can afford to let go of Gardiner.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I'm willing to bet he gets a look yet this year, especially since its not looking like the Leafs will be able to afford to resign Gardiner so he may get moved by the trade deadline, what you give up in offense in losing gardiner they might gain in awareness in their own end with Liljegren....

Yeah, similar to Travis Dermott getting a look in the early months of this year, I think Liljegren could get that same look in the early months of next year.

Not like Igor Ozhiganov, Martin Marincin or Justin Holl NEED to be in the lineup. They could easily call up and slot Liljegren into the 3RHD slot and give him a look.

Yamazaki

Feb 9, 2018
Need him to really make the jump, we’re losing Gardiner and hainsey for sure next year and Dermott and Lilly have a huge opportunity

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

UNITEDSTATESOFHOCKEY

Jan 5, 2018
Yeah, similar to Travis Dermott getting a look in the early months of this year, I think Liljegren could get that same look in the early months of next year.

Not like Igor Ozhiganov, Martin Marincin or Justin Holl NEED to be in the lineup. They could easily call up and slot Liljegren into the 3RHD slot and give him a look.

i agree, however personally I think Justin Holl needs more of a look. I'm not a Leafs fan or anything but I think he's a big body with above average feet and IQ, I think Holl should get more of an opportunity, I think he can be a good security blanket if paired with Dermott or Gardiner and he can play that stay at home presence for those two guys who like to "Go"!

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Almost zero chances of that happening, Leafs goal is the cup this year, they aren't trading away major pieces. Same as we saw from JVR last season.

Reactions: lifelonghockeyfan

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Almost zero chances of that happening, Leafs goal is the cup this year, they aren't trading away major pieces. Same as we saw from JVR last season.
I feel pretty sure they are going to just walk away from Jake at the end of the season.

I think we'll see them do that. It's better to do that than to sign him to a contract that means we have to lose someone else down the road.
It's not ideal. Trading him for something we can use is obviously the best option. But walking away is the 2nd best if you ask me.

UNITEDSTATESOFHOCKEY

Jan 5, 2018
I feel pretty sure they are going to just walk away from Jake at the end of the season.

I think we'll see them do that. It's better to do that than to sign him to a contract that means we have to lose someone else down the road.
It's not ideal. Trading him for something we can use is obviously the best option. But walking away is the 2nd best if you ask me.

This is off topic from Liljegren but its Tough to just walk away from a guy that could probably return you a 1st Round draft pick at the deadline... especially if its a 2019 1st Rounder they are offered as this seems to be a good draft from 15-31... If the Maple Leafs want to extend their Cup window they have to keep reloading the prospect pool and get contributors on entry level contracts... its vital, Chicago was able to keep their cup window open, partially because of the value contracts of Keith and Hossa, Toronto will not have that luxury. They are going to need entry Level contract contributors IMO... that's where getting something in return for Gardiner is kind of important... The assets need to keep coming in because some players are going to be thrown overboard due to the Tavares and Matthews cap hits... especially if matthews gets to July 1 without a contract and the Leafs have to match an offer sheet (which if your Arizona you offer sheet the max contract to get him). i have no doubt the Leafs would match it but if they do, having assets in the pipeline will be crucial, otherwise they will be todays chicago blackhawks but worse in a few years. Just my opinion tho....

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com

The athletic did an interview with Dubas last month and he said as much:

So it’s so fascinating because you hear all the time, like whether it’s experts or people will say, “Well, how can you let that person walk away for nothing?” But the reality is that you can get a draft pick or get something back, but if you do that in the season — and I think the key thing that gets lost when people use that logic that I don’t like and I think they miss — is that if you trade that player that’s a pending unrestricted free agent, you’re missing out on that player’s contribution and production from whatever time you trade them to whatever time your team ends. It’s always easy to, I think, use a little bit of revisionist history on players like that.

I wasn’t here (as the GM), but I hear it about the UFAs that we let walk away this year. I was here with Lou (Lamoriello) at the time. But I really don’t understand the logic. Because if you move all those guys for draft picks then you don’t have them for the end of the season. It’s easy to sit and say when your team doesn’t win or you don’t win a playoff round, “Well, jeez, they would’ve made the playoffs and lost in the first round anyway.” And so I get why people look at it that way, but I really think that when you say, “Well, you let him go for nothing.” Well, it’s not nothing. If you want to look at it for the most extreme example, from the trade deadline till the end of the season, you still got production, you still got output from that player. What draft pick level do you need, in terms of valuation, to make up for that production? If a team wins, and a team goes to the conference final or Stanley Cup final, that never comes up. But it’s when you don’t reach expectations — that gets used, not trading your pending free agents, gets used as a condemnation of your logic and your team-building and your management. And I think it should just go back to your overall management philosophy which is, why did the team miss the playoffs? Or why didn’t the team win a round? That’s a microcosm of a larger discussion, I think.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Until Lilly dominates he should be staying in the AHL. And let's not forget the kid is only 19 (turning 20 at the end of April) so there is no rush
I honestly wouldn't mind if he gets the Rielly treatment in the AHL. Put him in as many defensive situations as possible and let his offence take a back seat

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Until Lilly dominates he should be staying in the AHL. And let's not forget the kid is only 19 (turning 20 at the end of April) so there is no rush
I honestly wouldn't mind if he gets the Rielly treatment in the AHL. Put him in as many defensive situations as possible and let his offence take a back seat
He got the Reilly treatment last year, it's time for him to murder the AHL and then next szn get the NHL Reilly treatment again in his rookie season

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Didn't think **** would get censored lol, you said Lilly is getting 3rd line minutes, why would you want your 1st round dman to get so few minutes?

Last year he was an 18yr old playing in the A and not looking out of place. This year he is an 19yr old (turning 20 at the end of April) playing top minutes in the A and holding his own once again.

Feels like to me you see the CHL/OHL == AHL because if he was in the CHL/OHL he would be playing on the top line.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
This is off topic from Liljegren but its Tough to just walk away from a guy that could probably return you a 1st Round draft pick at the deadline... especially if its a 2019 1st

What is this "fear" that some folks have letting a player "walk away for nothing". Playoff teams and certainly Cup contenders want to make their team stronger for the playoffs. They certainly don't trade a needed player for futures just because he is an unbecoming UFA. I know this is kinda of a website for trades, but geez I wonder if some folks are sports fans. Do other contending team in any sport, trade their upcoming UFAs? The answer would be 99% no.

shotvalley

Jan 18, 2010
He got the Reilly treatment last year, it's time for him to murder the AHL and then next szn get the NHL Reilly treatment again in his rookie season

"Reilly treatment". This is so Hfboards lol.

Aintboutdatlyfe

Oct 21, 2017
This is off topic from Liljegren but its Tough to just walk away from a guy that could probably return you a 1st Round draft pick at the deadline... especially if its a 2019 1st Rounder they are offered as this seems to be a good draft from 15-31... If the Maple Leafs want to extend their Cup window they have to keep reloading the prospect pool and get contributors on entry level contracts... its vital, Chicago was able to keep their cup window open, partially because of the value contracts of Keith and Hossa, Toronto will not have that luxury. They are going to need entry Level contract contributors IMO... that's where getting something in return for Gardiner is kind of important... The assets need to keep coming in because some players are going to be thrown overboard due to the Tavares and Matthews cap hits... especially if matthews gets to July 1 without a contract and the Leafs have to match an offer sheet (which if your Arizona you offer sheet the max contract to get him). i have no doubt the Leafs would match it but if they do, having assets in the pipeline will be crucial, otherwise they will be todays chicago blackhawks but worse in a few years. Just my opinion tho....

Matthews will not accept any offer sheet, even a max from Arizona so this doesn't make any sense.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
He got 3rd line minutes last year, and at best didn't look out of place.

Why is he in the A if he's getting **** for minutes?

I watched a lot of Marlies games last year. Liljegren played 3rd pairing minutes during the playoffs (but had increased ice time during games 5 and 7 of the final round). During the regular season they rotated the pairing for the most part so sometimes he played 1st pairing minutes, sometimes second pairing minutes and sometimes 3rd pairing minutes. Those would increase or decrease depending on how the game was going. Sometimes he played on the first PP unit, but Rosen got slotted in there most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA