RD Simon Edvinsson - Grand Rapids Griffins., AHL (2021, 6th, DET)

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If i was DET, i'm looking for Edvinsson to be a lockdown, new school defensive Dman who can add some offense rather than an offensive dman who isn't bad defensively. You provide highlights with the latter, win with the former.

You want him to be a Lindholm or Brodin, not a Chabot/Hamilton type. I think he can be the former?

Reactions: raymond23

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
If i was DET, i'm looking for Edvinsson to be a lockdown, new school defensive Dman who can add some offense rather than an offensive dman who isn't bad defensively. You provide highlights with the latter, win with the former.

You want him to be a Lindholm or Brodin, not a Chabot/Hamilton type. I think he can be the former?
His defense was always going to be his strength. Any offense is extra but his defensive toolkit is ridiculous.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada

He is very similar to Hedman. And yes, I think he can be that good, though he probably won’t be.

Steve needs to bring this guy up, the league is sleeping on how good he really is. I am confident he’ll be better than Seider.

solo16

Nov 22, 2007
CT
So you've never actually watched a single game Ed has played, have you?
The universal internet troll response of someone afraid to make a real point.

Anyway kronwall was the highest scoring defensemen in the ahl in his d+4. Didn’t kill his career. His numbers were similar to Ed in his d3.

Seider imo has had a more impressive offensive d1 and d2 than ED. ED projects “in theory” to be a better offensive player. We know Seider was a better defensive player. Who knows how many points Seider would have gotten in his d3 if he played in the ahl but I think it’s safe to say he would have been one of the best players in the entire league. I mean his nhl point totals would rank him like 2 or 3 in the ahl that year.

Ed is and always has been a worse prospect than Seider. Not terribly close. Not close at all actually.

Rushing Ed to the nhl in his d3 is not crucial. Could he play sure. But he is unlikely to be dominate. But if he waits to his d4 or even d5 gasp. It’ll be ok. Just cause Seider made it in his d3 and stuck doesnt mean Ed should even if he “could”. I stand by he needs to be a dominate nhler every night and being a dominate anhler every night isn’t a hindrance.

Reactions: deca guard

solo16

Nov 22, 2007
CT
Ed had an equivalent/better AHL season than Seiders AHL season last year. Granted Seider was a year younger when he came to the AHL, but they just did it backwards because he went back to Sweden after the AHL.

Seider never scored like Ed is now in any junior league. If he was in the AHL in his d+3 instead of the nhl, he’d probably have had a similar stat line to Ed currently. Edvinsson belongs in the NHL.
Just further this point that I just looked up. Seider had 50 points in the nhl his d3. He would have had a dominate ahl season.

Ed has 13 points after 17 games in the ahl. He’s doing awesome but he’s got a ways to go to even breath Seider’s air d3 to d3. He has got a ways to go before I’m ready to scream he MUST BE in the nhl.

A good step would be help his team win in the playoffs, be their-leader, lead the league in points, be a corsi /+- league leader (I get the complicated stats). Those all help his case and can be done consistently in the ahl.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005

Anyway kronwall was the highest scoring defensemen in the ahl in his d+4. Didn’t kill his career. His numbers were similar to Ed in his d3.

Seider imo has had a more impressive offensive d1 and d2 than ED. ED projects “in theory” to be a better offensive player. We know Seider was a better defensive player. Who knows how many points Seider would have gotten in his d3 if he played in the ahl but I think it’s safe to say he would have been one of the best players in the entire league. I mean his nhl point totals would rank him like 2 or 3 in the ahl that year.

Ed is and always has been a worse prospect than Seider. Not terribly close. Not close at all actually.

Rushing Ed to the nhl in his d3 is not crucial. Could he play sure. But he is unlikely to be dominate. But if he waits to his d4 or even d5 gasp. It’ll be ok. Just cause Seider made it in his d3 and stuck doesnt mean Ed should even if he “could”. I stand by he needs to be a dominate nhler every night and being a dominate anhler every night isn’t a hindrance.
Again, if you look at nothing but offense you have zero idea what Edvinsson is about. Watch some games.

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com

agreed . seider has a higher hockey iq than simon which allowed him to step right into nhl and be up to speed . i dont think simons up to nhl thinking speed . but if he improves thinking at his size with skates n hands hes a franchise dman

Last edited:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Watching Edvinsson it’s always been evident that he is supremely talented/agile for a man his size. How he processes the game was my question with him. He seems to be making better decisions out there now and I think he’s ready to get called up.

After how he played to end last season it was pretty obvious he was ready to be called up. His issue was they didnt expect him to be ready to even play hockey until november this year from his surgery so Yzerman didnt really plan for it. Theres an article on the Athletic about it an basically everyone was shocked he was ready for camp this year.

Some time in the AHL this year obviously wont hurt him, but if Detroit is serious about pushing for a playoff spot, Detroit is where he should be. I think he would be their third best D right now behind Seider and Walman, especially after he gets about ten games under his belt

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Just further this point that I just looked up. Seider had 50 points in the nhl his d3. He would have had a dominate ahl season.

Ed has 13 points after 17 games in the ahl. He’s doing awesome but he’s got a ways to go to even breath Seider’s air d3 to d3. He has got a ways to go before I’m ready to scream he MUST BE in the nhl.

A good step would be help his team win in the playoffs, be their-leader, lead the league in points, be a corsi /+- league leader (I get the complicated stats). Those all help his case and can be done consistently in the ahl.

Seider came into a team where we was immediately needed to play 22+ minutes a night and log major minutes on the pp1

Edvinsson hasn't been given that opportunity yet... who knows what his stats would be if he was in that similar position

The fact that we can even have this discussion tells you all you need to know about Edvinsson. Seider had a incredible d+2 season with Rogle and was probably a top three player in the league that season. It was no surprise how good he was when he got here, the same can be said shortly for Edvinsson

solo16

Nov 22, 2007
CT
Seider came into a team where we was immediately needed to play 22+ minutes a night and log major minutes on the pp1

Edvinsson hasn't been given that opportunity yet... who knows what his stats would be if he was in that similar position

The fact that we can even have this discussion tells you all you need to know about Edvinsson. Seider had an incredible d+2 season with Rogle and was probably a top three player in the league that season. It was no surprise how good he was when he got here, the same can be said shortly for Edvinsson
Agree. Pretty excited about Edvinsson. I think this whole convo is how do the wings develop him to end up like a Hedman or Chara rather than a Tyler Meyers. Maybe the most likely comparable is Bouwmeester. High draft pick pretty big smooth skater never really put up as many points as projected. Meyers and Bouwmeester would feel like a let down at this point but seem to be more likely.

I don’t think any of us know but it’s fun to debate.

Reactions: raymond23

Cake Eater

Jan 19, 2022
Agree. Pretty excited about Edvinsson. I think this whole convo is how do the wings develop him to end up like a Hedman or Chara rather than a Tyler Meyers. Maybe the most likely comparable is Bouwmeester. High draft pick pretty big smooth skater never really put up as many points as projected. Meyers and Bouwmeester would feel like a let down at this point but seem to be more likely.

I don’t think any of us know but it’s fun to debate.
Jay Bouw is his absolute floor, imo.

eulatron

Jun 24, 2019
Really taking off offensively as of late. Just scored a goal tonight. He has 6 goals and 9 assists for 15 pts in 19 GP. I don't watch the AHL, can someone tell me how he has been defensively? I remember him not playing well on that front when he was called up.

Cake Eater

Jan 19, 2022
Really taking off offensively as of late. Just scored a goal tonight. He has 6 goals and 9 assists for 15 pts in 19 GP. I don't watch the AHL, can someone tell me how he has been defensively? I remember him not playing well on that front when he was called up.
He’s better defensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad