RD Mitchell Miller - Tri-City Storm, USHL (2020, 111th, ARI, rights renounced)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019

It was predictable that Mitchell Miller would continue his career in Europe where the North American media-grinder has no effect. Even in the West, with the exception of Great Britain.

The ironic thing is that if he plays in Russia, he will have practically been promoted because he will turn professional and will be better paid than if he had stayed in NCAA and then played in AHL / ECHL. The NHL I think was too high for him. And while his ex-comrades from North Dakota are inactive, he will have the opportunity to play hockey games.

Reactions: Newfoundland

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Kids arent good people automatically. Kids with mental disabilities probably get bullied everywhere and its awful, but some kids arent raised to respect others and understand how different people arent worse people. The crux of the argument here is one side saying that shitty people deserve a chance to change themselves, and the other side thinks that its too late for that and the life was decided when it happened.

He still has a chance to change. He is just dealing with consequences that fall outside of the courts. Guys have fallen in the draft or gone undrafted for years in the NFL due to character issues and that league takes some serious criminals.

What I really don't get is downplaying what he did like in the bolded. Is that really the hill to die on?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
That he's heading to Russia instead of sticking around to try to make amends tells me everything I need to know about this kid's character.

f*** him. He can rot there. Just the longest in a long line of actions shirking responsibility. I believed in his ability to change and learn but this is him just saying "nope lol."

Reactions: Crosstraffic

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
That he's heading to Russia instead of sticking around to try to make amends tells me everything I need to know about this kid's character.

f*** him. He can rot there. Just the longest in a long line of actions shirking responsibility. I believed in his ability to change and learn but this is him just saying "nope lol."
In all honesty, what should he do to be responsible now?

I think Arizona might the right choice and I do agree that Mitchell’s past actions (and willingness to be unclear about what happened in interviews) are bad, but I don’t see a route forward in North America that would let him play hockey ever again at a high level

Hockey Man

Jun 21, 2019
I mean actions have consequences. Take some personal responsibility Mr. Mitchell.

There are many ways he could show remorse, that he could try to make amends, obviously he doesn’t seem interested in doing any of these things currently. He doesn’t appear to be a particularly remorseful or intelligent individual. Who cares.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
I mean actions have consequences. Take some personal responsibility Mr. Mitchell.

There are many ways he could show remorse, that he could try to make amends, obviously he doesn’t seem interested in doing any of these things currently. He doesn’t appear to be a particularly remorseful or intelligent individual. Who cares.

Already excluded from his high school, condemned by justice, posted in the media all over the country 5 years later, released by his NHL team and excluded from his college team.

Since the Black Live Matter movement, every white man recognized for racism against a Black has been banned for life. Even with an apology (Bill Peters).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Name Nameless

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don

When did this occur?

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Already excluded from his high school, condemned by justice, posted in the media all over the country 5 years later, released by his NHL team and excluded from his college team.

Since the Black Live Matter movement, every white man recognized for racism against a Black has been banned for life. Even with an apology (Bill Peters).

Yet, just like you, his ego won't let him admit any wrongdoing.

There have been many clear paths to vindication for Miller, he has chosen to pursue absolutely none of them.

You have made it abundantly clear none of that matters to you, because Miller is the real victim here in your eyes.

You may want to take this as an opportunity for reflection: if a league that has forgiven substance abuse, domestic abuse, and vehicular manslaughter amongst many other things is passing on Miller, there may be something more to it than your fragile sensibilities and perception of what really matters.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Yet, just like you, his ego won't let him admit any wrongdoing.

There have been many clear paths to vindication for Miller, he has chosen to pursue absolutely none of them.

You have made it abundantly clear none of that matters to you, because Miller is the real victim here in your eyes.

You may want to take this as an opportunity for reflection: if a league that has forgiven substance abuse, domestic abuse, and vehicular manslaughter amongst many other things is passing on Miller, there may be something more to it than your fragile sensibilities and perception of what really matters.

I think on your side, there is not a lot of thought about what other people say.

Just a refusal to accept different points of view which are necessarily false because obviously you are part of those who have the truth.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Perhaps he can reflect and work towards making things right, now that his schedule's been completely cleared.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

The fact he bullied the kid for so long, has done little to show remorse and tried to intimidate the kid after the conviction, is what gets me. So he wrote a letter to Ariz9na saying he has matured. What has he done for the actual victim here? That is my question. He briefly tried to make it like he was the victim, but his uni put an swift end to that plan.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

Stick around and make amends? How?

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
The fact he bullied the kid for so long, has done little to show remorse and tried to intimidate the kid after the conviction, is what gets me. So he wrote a letter to Ariz9na saying he has matured. What has he done for the actual victim here? That is my question. He briefly tried to make it like he was the victim, but his uni put an swift end to that plan.

The victim is still the victim no matter what he does because of what he’s done. I want someone to tell me at what point and level does he need to obtain to not only show remorse but be forgiven enough to play in the NHL. Most here have said none and never and that’s fair.

For those saying there’s a clear path, there is only a path that is judged by people who perhaps rightfully seek a lifetimes revenge on this kid. That’s probably fair. He won’t get a fair shot here because of his past, so his past will be his future no matter what he does.

For those who want to see him be a better person what he needs is an opportunity to show and live it and no apology will prove that. He needs a fair chance to show it and the only place he will get one is out of the USA. Simple as that.

For those who say he’s running, nah, he’s going to where you sent him, so you really solved nothing and it left him with possibly a stronger belief in feeling right about something he did so wrong to someone. Good job gang!

if he stayed in ND and the Yotes organization, they could have put pressure on him and molded him into a better man, for real. Public outcry could have been used positively. Instead of rehabilitation, y’all sought revenge. And lost.

I hope you all learned something here today outside of your own egos.

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
"Moving forward, I want to be a leader for this cause and help end bullying and racism."

Or was it just empty words?

Empty words I would guess. That said, what if he stays clear of trouble moving forward? What then? At this point he's a hockey mercenary. Will be interesting to see if he ever gets another shot in North America.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
The victim is still the victim no matter what he does because of what he’s done. I want someone to tell me at what point and level does he need to obtain to not only show remorse but be forgiven enough to play in the NHL. Most here have said none and never and that’s fair.

For those saying there’s a clear path, there is only a path that is judged by people who perhaps rightfully seek a lifetimes revenge on this kid. That’s probably fair. He won’t get a fair shot here because of his past, so his past will be his future no matter what he does.

For those who want to see him be a better person what he needs is an opportunity to show and live it and no apology will prove that. He needs a fair chance to show it and the only place he will get one is out of the USA. Simple as that.

For those who say he’s running, nah, he’s going to where you sent him, so you really solved nothing and it left him with possibly a stronger belief in feeling right about something he did so wrong to someone. Good job gang!

if he stayed in ND and the Yotes organization, they could have put pressure on him and molded him into a better man, for real. Public outcry could have been used positively. Instead of rehabilitation, y’all sought revenge. And lost.

Sorry to knock you off your high horse here. But I would suggest you might want to review the actual victim and what his family have stated publicly. The conviction ended neither the bullying or intimidation. You are over looking or just ignoring that fact. Go over what the family has stated. I agree, a few peoples egos are out of hand and that includes yours.

I have stated several times I believe in rehabilitation over retribution. Second chances are earned not given.

All indication is he believes the conviction was the end of things and he just gets to move on.

Why did several teams have him on their do not draft lists? Two scouts said they did not like his attitude.

Craig mactavish killed a person drunk driving and spent nearly his entire career dealing with it. He did not hide anything and dealt with the victims family a lot off the ice.

This kid handled it the wrong way in most peoples view.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Sorry to knock you off your high horse here. But I would suggest you might want to review the actual victim and what his family have stated publicly. The conviction ended neither the bullying or intimidation. You are over looking or just ignoring that fact. Go over what the family has stated. I agree, a few peoples egos are out of hand and that includes yours.

I have stated several times I believe in rehabilitation over retribution. Second chances are earned not given.

All indication is he believes the conviction was the end of things and he just gets to move on.

Why did several teams have him on their do not draft lists? Two scouts said they did not like his attitude.

Craig mactavish killed a person drunk driving and spent nearly his entire career dealing with it. He did not hide anything and dealt with the victims family a lot off the ice.

This kid handled it the wrong way in most peoples view.

You didn’t answer my question.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid

No professional, college or CHL team is going to touch him now. I understand what he did was horrible and inexcusable but even paroled murderers have to do something to move on with their lives and find a way to eat. Maybe he thinks hockey is still the best shot at that for him even if he has to go to Siberia.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Yes, 100% agreed. My point with him leaving now is that this was his perfect chance to address it. For those complaining that this happened so far in the past, well, here it is--do something. Have an interview. Set the record straight. Make a statement and give to charity. Immediately join one of the initiatives for the NHL or use your college opportunity to better things in the name of the victim. Simply APOLOGIZE. Anything! But instead of ANY of the above, or any of his family, friends, or organizations stepping up even on his behalf, he ran. That no one is willing to vouch for him and that he is not willing to say or do anything on his own behalf now that this is very front-and-center shows a lack of remorse and total cowardice.

Most of us have actually said we believe in forgiveness and a second chance. Too bad for him that he f***ing blew it. I outlined why I believe he blew that above.

I'm not going to apologize that I set the bar for making amends for a literal hate crime/ongoing pattern of abuse higher than "well, a little bit of time has passed, time to move on!"

Yes, instead of stick around and face the music and address it in any way, it looks like he's running. No one sent him anywhere. He is self-exiling. You speak of ego--that is ego. The hubris to just dodge the criticism and hide.

I agreed that ND would have been the best place for him--if he could face up to what he's done. He couldn't. He's a f***ing coward.

It takes some real balls to lecture others about ego when you're defending a serial abuser with no demonstration of remorse and an ongoing, continual history of self-service. Props to being able to look yourself in the mirror after that pompous statement. Have fun with your ongoing defense of a person who has shown nothing.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Yes, 100% agreed. My point with him leaving now is that this was his perfect chance to address it. For those complaining that this happened so far in the past, well, here it is--do something. Have an interview. Set the record straight. Make a statement and give to charity. Immediately join one of the initiatives for the NHL or use your college opportunity to better things in the name of the victim. Simply APOLOGIZE. Anything! But instead of ANY of the above, or any of his family, friends, or organizations stepping up even on his behalf, he ran. That no one is willing to vouch for him and that he is not willing to say or do anything on his own behalf now that this is very front-and-center shows a lack of remorse and total cowardice.

Most of us have actually said we believe in forgiveness and a second chance. Too bad for him that he f***ing blew it. I outlined why I believe he blew that above.

I'm not going to apologize that I set the bar for making amends for a literal hate crime/ongoing pattern of abuse higher than "well, a little bit of time has passed, time to move on!"

Yes, instead of stick around and face the music and address it in any way, it looks like he's running. No one sent him anywhere. He is self-exiling. You speak of ego--that is ego. The hubris to just dodge the criticism and hide.

I agreed that ND would have been the best place for him--if he could face up to what he's done. He couldn't. He's a f***ing coward.

It takes some real balls to lecture others about ego when you're defending a serial abuser with no demonstration of remorse and an ongoing, continual history of self-service. Props to being able to look yourself in the mirror after that pompous statement. Have fun with your ongoing defense of a person who has shown nothing.
I mean, I wish he showed more contrition and I agree he deserves punishment. I agree with Arizona giving up his rights; I’m more conflicted on North Dakota (Did UND ignore the signs or were they mislead?)

What I don’t see is how doing that would do anything for him: will a team give him a scholarship because he goes and apologies on TV or does charity work? Would another team consider signing him? I really don’t think so.

So what is best for him? I’d argue going somewhere else, start anew and return to his chosen career (hockey): he did wrong, our legal system had its punishment, and it looks like he has received additional punishment by society

Reactions: wetcoast

blindpass

May 7, 2010

Gets me that things get repeated as fact with little to no evidence, other than that other people are saying them with little or no evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad