RD Mitchell Miller - HK 32 Liptovsky Mikulas, Slovakia (2020, 111th, ARI rights renounced; signed by BOS, released) - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023
He/she isnt wrong regarding the relative nature of morality.

This country votes for politicians who have blood on their hands. En masse. Our foreign policy is predicated on bombing people (both parties).

Or the millions of us who buy items we know was made by slave labor overseas. Are we not contributing to the problem human exploitation?

Yet we cast out a hockey player for something he did at 14?

Nobody is defeding Miller. Rather a legitimate argument can be had regarding the issue of ‘does the punishment fit the crime’.
You have points. I just call out low standards.

And I actually am one of those nuts with no Amazon membership, avoiding supporting various entities due to their lack of ethics.

Just want the NHL to land on the positive side of things for once. Miller has done nothing to warrant a return trip to the NHL in 5, 15 or 50 years.

At no point did Miller show he deserved leeway.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Hanji

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Not defending him, at all, i was bullied for 6 straight years, almost every school day
so i know what bullying is and how bad it is, however...

Did he murder anyone? no
Did he rape anyone? no
Did he stole money, or anything valuable? no
Did he drink and drive and cause a death of a friend or anyone else? no
Did he do drugs? no
Did he sell drugs? no
Did he destroy school property? no

the list goes on and on

Was he stupid teenager and did a stupid things? yes
was it his fault, 100%, his fault that he acted out with racist violent behaviour?
no,

Why not? well, if anyone have had studied, took time to look on the matter, how many things effect why someone becomes, is racist, or even behave violently, especially as a teenager..
before posting as hot headed, angry what not persons... we would not have this thread
as it became to be..

Again not defending him, nor his actions but... yeah.
People act here like he is evil sob, who should die or something... sheesh.

Time heals wounds, it really does, it is not a cliche.
People change, can change, if you allow them to change
People grow, learn from their mistakes.

Let him play hockey, forgive but never forget.

PS. if it wasn't 2 white kids vs 1 black kid... no one would have even known/cared about it
its bad to think like that, but its the truth :(

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
I’m not sure still playing hockey professionally is “writing off somebody’s life entirely”.

It’s facing consequences for your actions. If the consequence is simply, you can’t make millions of dollars playing hockey at the highest level but can still make a ton of money playing in lower levels… I think he’ll survive.
Yeah because most other countries aren't ready to throw somebody's entire life away over some BS that happened when they were in their early teens.

You can't even credit the NHL for this. They were open to bringing Slava Voynov back after choking his wife and putting her face through a TV as an adult.

tmlmatus

Dec 29, 2013
Toronto
I’ve wondered why he chose the Slovakian league. At this rate, he could have the highest scoring season of any defenseman in the history of the league.
Probably only euro league to sign him and didn't want to go to Russia due to the war.

I'm sure he wont stick around too long tho, a team from the KHL will throw the bag at him and the war won't madder no more.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Did he murder anyone? no
Did he rape anyone? no
Did he stole money, or anything valuable? no
Did he drink and drive and cause a death of a friend or anyone else? no
Did he do drugs? no
Did he sell drugs? no
Did he destroy school property? no
More than half of these are less bad than what he did, fwiw

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
You can't even credit the NHL for this. They were open to bringing Slava Voynov back after choking his wife and putting her face through a TV as an adult.
...an incident which his wife denied ever happened, and which either way didn't seriously affect their relationship given that they celebrated their wedding after and remain married to this day. Despite that Voynov never came back.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
...an incident which his wife denied ever happened, and which either way didn't seriously affect their relationship given that they celebrated their wedding after and remain married to this day. Despite that Voynov never came back.
Yeah, definitely never happened:

At a hearing on 15 December 2014, an officer testified that Varlamova told police Voynov punched, kicked, and choked her, and that her face was cut after Voynov pushed her into a flat-screen television. The officer also testified to seeing a laceration above Varlamova's left eye, blood streaming, and red marks on her neck. Voynov's attorney claimed that the police misunderstood Varlamova because she does not speak English and maintained she "fell down." On 16 December 2014, TMZ published a letter Varlamova wrote to the Los Angeles County District Attorney asserting that he had not intended to injure her and requesting that Voynov not be charged.

On 2 July 2015, Voynov pleaded no contest to a reduced misdemeanor charge and was sentenced to 90 days in jail. He received three years of probation and was ordered to attend counseling.

:help:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
64k a year is barely liveable in a lot of city’s in North America especially with a family.
60-80k is the regular ECHL salary. It is also very close to the salary most young guys on NHL ELCs make in the AHL. So people make do, I guess and the point of your comment is not exactly clear. Hockey players are impoverished class?

While in Slovakia average salary is ~20k per year so needless to say if you make three times that you are rich.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Yeah, definitely never happened:

At a hearing on 15 December 2014, an officer testified that Varlamova told police Voynov punched, kicked, and choked her, and that her face was cut after Voynov pushed her into a flat-screen television. The officer also testified to seeing a laceration above Varlamova's left eye, blood streaming, and red marks on her neck. Voynov's attorney claimed that the police misunderstood Varlamova because she does not speak English and maintained she "fell down." On 16 December 2014, TMZ published a letter Varlamova wrote to the Los Angeles County District Attorney asserting that he had not intended to injure her and requesting that Voynov not be charged.

On 2 July 2015, Voynov pleaded no contest to a reduced misdemeanor charge and was sentenced to 90 days in jail. He received three years of probation and was ordered to attend counseling.

:help:
As you can see it's not evident that the alleged incident was in any way characterized by malice, and the alleged victim has been steadfast in asserting that there was no such thing. I don't see how someone should be canned for life for something that ambiguous, and Voynov already paid the price according to the worst interpretation of the outcome.

No matter how you look at it it's not comparable to Miller whose actions were very clearly malicious, deliberate, and left behind a traumatized victim.

Reactions: WhataKnight

macbowes

Aug 1, 2022
Victoria
Why is there an open thread for a player that has a 0 percent chance of playing in the NHL? He got himself banned from the NHL, I'd say that makes him a pretty terrible NHL prospect. This thread is open exclusively for toxic discourse. Mods should lock this thread, and any future threads related to this person.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Here’s truth.

If you defend Miller, you need therapy. Full stop. You have problems.
A person who has 20 million in the bank wouldn’t have give the time of day to come on this website and make this comment.

Don’t judge others until you fix yourself

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Miller is banned because of society's selective virtue signalling. The NHL caters to it.

So Miller is publicly shamed and banned from the NHL. Err, okay I get it.
Yet does the hockey community care the NHL indirectly promotes modern day slavery (including child labor) by receiving sponsorship from companies like Nestle, Adidas, Amazon, Apple, etc.? Nobody gives a shit.

Seems to me we collectively judge the severity of a wrong-doing by how much it affects our entertainment value, or the bottom line.

Last edited:

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023
A person who has 20 million in the bank wouldn’t have give the time of day to come on this website and make this comment.

Don’t judge others until you fix yourself

I try to do that every day.

Obviously more than trash like Mitchell Miller.

I’m far from perfect…..but I’m not the sort of person to make a kid eat something that was in a urinal.

Raise your standards.

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023
How about those who don't defend him, but who believe there are circumstances where he could eventually earn another shot? Do they need therapy?

Perhaps not all cases, but anyone thinking there’s a path back for the guy circa now should honestly look at the series of events, consider the lack of remorse displayed by the actions, and then reconsider support.

He would have to start working on that now - for real. I see no indication of “reconciliatory intent” from the guy in all this time, so as of now, he’s done zippo to earn the privilege by display of humanity

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023
He did apologize to the kid. It was court mandated and entered into public records.

Stop believing the nonsense that the victim's spiteful mother has told the press.

“Miller reached out by text to apologize and to say he was doing community work to help youth.”

A text. I question the decency of anyone calling that a suitable apology, given what the guy did.

Reactions: H3ckt1k and Realgud

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
As you can see it's not evident that the alleged incident was in any way characterized by malice, and the alleged victim has been steadfast in asserting that there was no such thing. I don't see how someone should be canned for life for something that ambiguous, and Voynov already paid the price according to the worst interpretation of the outcome.

No matter how you look at it it's not comparable to Miller whose actions were very clearly malicious, deliberate, and left behind a traumatized victim.
When you're deliberately ignorant to how domestic violence victims act. :help:

Literally enough evidence to get Voynov to take a deal without victim cooperation, and yet you're out here saying this bullshit. "It's not evident that the alleged incident was in any way characterized by malice". Good Lord. Are you f***ing kidding me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad