Player Discussion (RD) Brock Faber (Certified Stud)

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Is Faber good enough to jump into the lineup and produce in the playoffs?
I don't think he legally can, since he wasn't signed to a contract at the TDL.

But if he was... produce? Probably not. Equal what Merrill brings? Very possible.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

But if he was... produce? Probably not. Equal what Merrill brings? Very possible.

He could, he's on the reserve list. College FA signings aren't eligible for the Playoffs if they sign after the TDL.

Reactions: Slotski and TaLoN

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

He can because he part of the organization
If he was a undrafted free agent, he couldn't.

Parax

Aug 26, 2018
So what was Kaprizov's deal those years ago? I can't recall.
The playoffs started later than they normally would have due to Covid. The league decided he wouldn't have been on the roster in time for the playoffs if they started at the normal date so made him ineligible. Incredibly stupid.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
I tell you what , he cannot be worse than Merril or Middleton. They are both completely skill-less.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
I think you underestimate how hard it is to play defense in professional hockey, never mind NHL playoff hockey
Middleton is decent around the boards but he’s a possession black hole. He can’t handle the puck and he’s horrible at anything even remotely resembling a cohesive breakout. I’m not sure what Merril brings. Nothing as far as I can tell. I’m not saying Faber is ready but he’s worth a try.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Middleton is decent around the boards but he’s a possession black hole. He can’t handle the puck and he’s horrible at anything even remotely resembling a cohesive breakout. I’m not sure what Merril brings. Nothing as far as I can tell. I’m not saying Faber is ready but he’s worth a try.

I'm as high on Faber as a prospect as anyone....but its a huge jump from NCAA to the NHL postseason, especially as a defenseman. I'd be pretty surprised to see him even dress for a game, let alone see any meaningful TOI.

Bdub

Mar 27, 2021
I was under the impression faber could play this year. Oh well he should get his chance next october.

HobeyBroten

Jul 12, 2012
Is the number of games to not burn a year of an ELC still at 9?

So depending on where the Wild are at come Sunday, he could technically play the final 3 games to get some teeth cutting done if all the stars align?

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I was under the impression faber could play this year. Oh well he should get his chance next october.

He technically can play this year....I'm just saying that I would be surprised if he did.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'm as high on Faber as a prospect as anyone....but its a huge jump from NCAA to the NHL postseason, especially as a defenseman. I'd be pretty surprised to see him even dress for a game, let alone see any meaningful TOI.

And Guerin has already set a precedent of "over-seasoning" guys in lower leagues, to an extent. Boldy, Rossi both had to prove themselves in the AHL first. Faber shouldn't be any different.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
I agree…I’d like to see him and see what he looks like though. You never know. He’s a grown man and not a 19 year old.

Huh , I thought he was 21 for some reason

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Is the number of games to not burn a year of an ELC still at 9?

So depending on where the Wild are at come Sunday, he could technically play the final 3 games to get some teeth cutting done if all the stars align?

He's 20, so just signing him burns a year of his ELC.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Faber is a very late birthday. He is almost a full year younger than Rossi, even though they were drafted in the same year.Hunt and ROR are older, also. I don’t see where Faber is such a high end prospect that they have to burn a year on him. I would play chicken with him in negotiations…if he wants to go back to school for a year, delaying his entry into pro hockey, so be it.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Faber is a very late birthday. He is almost a full year younger than Rossi, even though they were drafted in the same year.Hunt and ROR are older, also. I don’t see where Faber is such a high end prospect that they have to burn a year on him. I would play chicken with him in negotiations…if he wants to go back to school for a year, delaying his entry into pro hockey, so be it.
You don't play chicken with the primary asset return from the Fiala trade... otherwise, you never make that trade.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
You don't play chicken with the primary asset return from the Fiala trade... otherwise, you never make that trade.
That, and we only need the 2 years to get through the buyouts anyway. There's basically no point in even thinking about it. I remember when people were (rightfully) going crazy when there were whispers about Guerin trying to get Boldy on a PTO instead of just signing him.

And as much as I like Faber, he's not the type that's going to go for 60+ points and all of a sudden we need to find $6M+ for him a year earlier than otherwise planned. Even if he makes the NHL right away next year and runs with it, it's still going to be a lower-end RFA negotiation.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Can he even play for Iowa if he signs, or is it only NHL and Iowa would be a PTO?

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
I’d be impressed with Guerin if he gives Faber some NHL time this year

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I’d be impressed with Guerin if he gives Faber some NHL time this year
Dean makes up the lineup. If we are more or less set with our playoff spot, i will be impressed with any lineup that keeps Brodin and Spurgeon rested and healthy.

I don't know if Faber is ready, but migod, could we use a solid RHD. Klingberg has obvious talent, but calling him an adventure defensively is putting it mildly.

Reactions: MNRube

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad