RD Adam Boqvist - Brynas J20, Superelit (2018, 8th, CHI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
The NA media likes players who play in their junior leagues.

How do you explain Pettersson being picked 5th after he had a 1OA resume last season? Now in a re-draft, it seems like he'd go 1OA. This is what tends to happen to Europeans who play in Europe. They are often underrated when the draft comes around, and those who play in NA, especially the North American players, get overrated.
Because NA media gets only to see live games from players playing in NA. And they are making the lists in the media. They don't see European players who play in Europe, outside international games.

These lists seems to overreact to those international tournaments when it comes down to players European players.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Because NA media gets only to see live games from players playing in NA. And they are making the lists in the media. They don't see European players who play in Europe, outside international games.

These lists seems to overreact to those international tournaments when it comes down to players European players.

But NHL teams don’t rely on “media” to ifnrom their draft boards. They have their own scouts for every league who watch league games live, in addition to tournaments.

You’re confusing what the media does - which is guys like Craig Button - and what NHL teams do. Craig Button doesn’t influence whether Pettersson goes 1st OA or 5th. That’s on New Jersey, Philadelphia, Dallas, and Colorado (and their scouts and GMs).

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
But NHL teams don’t rely on “media” to ifnrom their draft boards. They have their own scouts for every league who watch league games live, in addition to tournaments.

You’re confusing what the media does - which is guys like Craig Button - and what NHL teams do. Craig Button doesn’t influence whether Pettersson goes 1st OA or 5th. That’s on New Jersey, Philadelphia, Dallas, and Colorado (and their scouts and GMs).

Do you work in the NHL?

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
you don't need to work in the NHL to know some of this stuff. He has no influence to NHL teams with exception of him talking to his brother who scouts for the Flames.

Exactly. Plus if NHL teams did listen to Button we’d never have picked Virtanen 6th overall as Button has him ranked in the second round.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
you don't need to work in the NHL to know some of this stuff. He has no influence to NHL teams with exception of him talking to his brother who scouts for the Flames.

Thats not what I stated. I think media does influence decision making. Maybe not purposely. I don't think teams are seeking out these opinions from Button and co, but I do think hearing these opinions constantly influences their own opinions.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Thats not what I stated. I think media does influence decision making. Maybe not purposely. I don't think teams are seeking out these opinions from Button and co, but I do think hearing these opinions constantly influences their own opinions.

In this case I doubt it, I think he has slipped, but not to the exaggeration of him being a notch down from the other 3, cause as a normal fan I think they are all still in the same tier, and even if he dropped, he's still one of the top Dmans in this draft, would be very excited if he's there at 7. Bob Mckenzie is the only Media guy that have a solid list since his listing is based on surveying scouts and or gm's. Craig Button is literally just one person.

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016
I highly doubt it does

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
Yep. Which one would you like to hear?
For starters, I would like to know how much you've actually seen of Boqvist.
Second, what makes you think that Button is a credible source?
Third, what's your defintion of "greater competition" and, what kind of D do you prefer in todays NHL - pylons of PMDs?

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
Ofc they do, just look at the media-move to get Doughty and Burns those Norris's.
I dont think any GM listens to the likes of Don Cherry and Button, though. Button works for TSN, a company focusing on Toronto Maple Leafs and Canadian players. They are just for the mainstream fans, just like Wennerholm is for avid, non-critical Aftonbladet readers.

FrankGallagher

Oct 6, 2015
I don't think there is some big media bias against Boqvist, again he is 6th on McKenzie's ranking which has a lot more meaning than one list by Craig Button.

I do see some bias against Dahlin though, if he were north american he would be getting more hype as a generational talent.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
For starters, I would like to know how much you've actually seen of Boqvist.
Second, what makes you think that Button is a credible source?
Third, what's your defintion of "greater competition" and, what kind of D do you prefer in todays NHL - pylons of PMDs?

1. Watched him vs Canada at the U18’s. Liked him. This isn’t about MY opinion of Boqvist. Personally I’d be happy to take him at #7.

2. He’s “credible” based on his track record at ranking draft prospects. He’s not perfect - no one is - but he’s been very spot on for Vancouver prospects, specifically having Jake Virtanen (disappointment) ranked lower than most and Brock Boeser (surprise) ranked much high than most. You’re free to think he’s crap however, like I say it’s no matter to me.

3. I like mobile D who don’t whilt under fast, intense pressure. Personally I’m hoping Vancouver leaves the draft with one of Dobson, Hughes, or Boqvist. I’m not as high on Bouchard.

So do I pass? And do the above answers have any relevance to whether or not Craig Button is biased against European players (I don’t believe he is) or whether he influences NHL teams drafting decisions (I don’t believe he does)?

You seem to want to pick a fight but you’re trying to do it with things I’ve never said. I don’t hate Boqvist personally or necessarily even share Button’s view. But it’s what he legitimately thinks, not a xenophobic shot at European players. That’s not Button’s MO.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
You don't think that media bias affects the actual picks? I think it does. It's hard to completely block it out, and go with your own instincts. These NA management types presumably all read these articles from the NA media, I think the overwhelming bias towards NA players and those that play in NA leagues ends up influencing their own opinions. It's easier to let that happen than to block out the noise and put forth a radically different opinion.

I never said that players playing in Europe aren't picked high, but I do believe they suffer in perception. Pettersson had a 1OA resume going into the draft. Do you think Hischier or Patrick would've been nearly 1PPG in Allsvenskan? I don't think so.
And you know for a fact that Pettersson would have matched or bested 105 gp and 145 pts in Brandon or 57 gp 86 pts Halifax in his rookie year?

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Think I know what Button is talking about with Boqvist and it could be an issue causing him to fall a bit in the draft. Boqvist can look very disinterested away from the puck in his own end and he had a few of those moments at the U18s. His talent level should allow him to be great every game but many times he leaves you wanting a little bit more. I don't understand the part where he doesn't raise his game against the better teams though, I've seen the opposite. Important to keep in mind that no player at this age is perfect. Boqvist strikes me as a good kid.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Think I know what Button is talking about with Boqvist and it could be an issue causing him to fall a bit in the draft. Boqvist can look very disinterested away from the puck in his own end and he had a few of those moments at the U18s. His talent level should allow him to be great every game but many times he leaves you wanting a little bit more. I don't understand the part where he doesn't raise his game against the better teams though, I've seen the opposite. Important to keep in mind that no player at this age is perfect. Boqvist strikes me as a good kid.

I agree that he can look disinterested at times. But for me I think it's just more related to his style of play or just how he is. He may look disinterested but I'm doubtful that he actually is disinterested. When other see disinterested I see a guy who is really smart positionally and doesn't exert more effort than needed and doesn't chase the puck around. Maybe it's just me being biased and not seeing things clearly though because I like him so much as a player, who knows.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Ofc they do, just look at the media-move to get Doughty and Burns those Norris's.
I dont think any GM listens to the likes of Don Cherry and Button, though. Button works for TSN, a company focusing on Toronto Maple Leafs and Canadian players. They are just for the mainstream fans, just like Wennerholm is for avid, non-critical Aftonbladet readers.
I think comparing NHL scouting departments and team drafting to an awards show is a lazy and crap comparison.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
I agree that he can look disinterested at times. But for me I think it's just more related to his style of play or just how he is. He may look disinterested but I'm doubtful that he actually is disinterested. When other see disinterested I see a guy who is really smart positionally and doesn't exert more effort than needed and doesn't chase the puck around. Maybe it's just me being biased and not seeing things clearly though because I like him so much as a player, who knows.

Could definitely just be his style of play. He's been in on very few goals against when playing against the top of his age group so he must be doing something right.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Craig Button really not feeling this kid.

Said on the radio he is officially in the 3rd grouping of d-men in the draft.
Dahlin
-
Bouchard
Hughes
Dobson
-
Boqvist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad