RD Aaron Ekblad (2014, 1st overall, Florida)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
I'd still like to know what Yzerman offered to get the pick that would have presumably been for Ekblad.

Vancouver as well. Apparently JB pulled out as the price became too steep. May be have been for the best in hindsight as most had Van picking Reinhart. Now Reinhart may end up being a great player but I do think Ekblad was the right choice at first overall.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Ties franchise record for assists by a rookie dman (Kulikov in 2009). Closing in on the franchise record for rookie dman points...In December.

SufferingCatFan

Apr 6, 2008
fort lauderdale
At the game last night, Ekblad impressed me most with a play where he did not score. He effortlessly skated the puck up the middle, stared off defenders who expected him to pass, accelerated suddenly towards the goal and then went backhand on the goalie, who made the save.

Ekblad really makes the game look easy.

Bullseyes

Aug 16, 2013
I doubted how well he was going to play in the NHL but wow, he's been impressive. So far he's impressed me more in his rookie season than Jones did. I love watching him play.

Doothpick

9-1
Sep 15, 2008
If he maintans his play I may have to eat crow for saying to never draft defenceman with 1st overall. I'm very impressed.

Good for Panthers, they deserve a defenceman like him.

Scarbarian*

Lol where is that Kulemon poster who was ripping on Ekblad before the draft and even the draft. Calling him the most overrated player in the draft haha

Where are u dude

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
He's legit. His offensive numbers are impressive, but his defensive play is great, as well. Incredible at 18. I think he's really 27.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Looks like a team that would have picked Reinhart may have made a terrible error.

Reinhart is going to be good too probably, but looking at Ekblad, he's basically a #2 dman right now, and once he's a #1 dman, he's absolutely the right pick.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
If he maintans his play I may have to eat crow for saying to never draft defenceman with 1st overall. I'm very impressed.

Thanks man. The Panthers have needed a franchise player for a while. It feels good to potentially have one.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014

I'm usually on that side too but '14 was certainly one of those rare occasions that there was really no superstar forward.

After watching the WJC I was sold that Ekblad was going to be the next D to warrant being the top selection. Reinhart will be a good player but I don't think he will be a game breaker, while Ekblad will certainly be a franchise Dman, and Captain material.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Too early to tell of course but he looks VERY promising. Good thing because Canada could really use another Top D Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad