Speculation: RBAs next contract

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006

Is Sara also NY media?

i'm one who genuinely enjoyed her coverage of the canes, and had no issues with her / didn't get mad that some liberal chick was writing about hockey while f'n around on twitter.

sara wants to be NY media, or Boston media, or Vancouver media or something - she's been open about her employment status and desire for work. she knows how to play the game.

so, is it"accurate" that the offer was pulled and no further offered will follow? because to my reading of it, that is what is being presented. or, are negotiations ongoing? - i don't doubt that one bit.

when i sold my house, the buyers had some things in their offer i didn't want to sign off on. i countered with what i thought was a good compromise. the written offer i had was taken away and then updated to match most of what i offered, with some edits from their side. we agreed and the sale went through. i didn't consider the offer to buy my house pulled, it was just part of the transaction.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Sara. Yea ok

Are we going to act like Sara doesn't have sources in the organization? Jesus Christ, I've never seen such a collective "head in the sand" moment from this board.

We've got multiple respected media members reporting that negotiations have hit a roadblock and the Canes have pulled their offer. On the other side, we have multiple respected media members reporting "Waddell is confident a deal will get done", which isn't the same as "A deal will get done."

It's foolish to dismiss these reports outright, under the assumption it's for "clicks", "bias" or whathaveyou.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Are we going to act like Sara doesn't have sources in the organization? Jesus Christ, I've never seen such a collective "head in the sand" moment from this board.

We've got multiple respected media members reporting that negotiations have hit a roadblock and the Canes have pulled their offer. On the other side, we have multiple respected media members reporting "Waddell is confident a deal will get done", which isn't the same as "A deal will get done."

It's foolish to dismiss these reports outright, under the assumption it's for "clicks", "bias" or whathaveyou.
Does she though? Its not foolish disregard a report that just happens to come out the day after we wrap up our series. There hasn’t been a single credible person say this an issue

There are internet randos that are better at guessing what we do than insiders having any idea

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
Dreger just said on overdrive in Toronto that he believes the offer the canes pulled from the table would of put RBA just outside the top 10 paying coaches in the league

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Does she though? Its not foolish disregard a report that just happens to come out the day after we wrap up our series. There hasn’t been a single credible person say this an issue

There are internet randos that are better at guessing what we do than insiders having any idea

Both Dreger and Weekes are credible sources. They literally report and break hockey news as part of their job. I also consider Sara a credible source when it comes to Carolina news, but I understand why others don’t.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I dont understand why you wouldnt just give him whatever he wants.

Unless the hold up is something like you need to bring back all his players (Martinook, Pesce, etc)

This is where I’m at. I understand where the agent is coming from. He’s got a very successful client that has made a very foolish decision to announce he doesn’t want to coach anywhere else. It makes it very difficult to negotiate from that position, and I can definitely see Waddell/Dundon exploiting that (as they kind of have already with their previous contract)

But if there’s even an iota of a chance you lose RBA because of this negotiation, you’re playing with a far reaching fire that I don’t think Dundon realizes. RBA IS the team. This isn’t a Forslund situation where the fans will just move on.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Dreger just said on overdrive in Toronto that he believes the offer the canes pulled from the table would of put RBA just outside the top 10 paying coaches in the league
yawn

Brindy has always said he'll take less if it means his assistants get more. This means absolutely nothing and is just noise from Dreger

The timing of this is extremely suspect.

Extremely

And yes, I absolutely believe hockey media would pull a story out of their ass like this to try and cause a rift in a small market locker room when they're the biggest threat to NY making it deep in the playoffs. They absolutely would.

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
I get where you're coming from, but this whole argument just comes down to what you focus on.

You choose to (correctly) point out that waddell being confident a deal will get done does not equal a deal will get done. But you seem to ignore that what kicked everything off was dreger saying "it's believed" the offer was pulled.

so, waddell believes it'll get done vs some other source believes the offer was pulled. Ok. Both sides have their reasons for their belief, if we take them at face value. But it isn't crazy based on rba's words to lean toward it'll get done.

Nothing is certain, but it isn't like there's no thought behind my way of thinking. Plus, i really want him to continue as our coach, and that totally matters.

Reactions: Svechhammer

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
This is where I’m at. I understand where the agent is coming from. He’s got a very successful client that has made a very foolish decision to announce he doesn’t want to coach anywhere else. It makes it very difficult to negotiate from that position, and I can definitely see Waddell/Dundon exploiting that (as they kind of have already with their previous contract)

But if there’s even an iota of a chance you lose RBA because of this negotiation, you’re playing with a far reaching fire that I don’t think Dundon realizes. RBA IS the team. This isn’t a Forslund situation where the fans will just move on.
They do have our season ticket money already though :).

Dundon: RBA has given you 6 years of winning playoff hockey and now multiple years of RBC sellouts.

Pay the man and IMO, he should be paid as a top 5 Coach.

Edit: Cap Friendly list of Head Coach contracts. Coaches - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
There are a few missing (add to it Cooper and Sullivan who are reported to be close to $5M each). Another article on coach contracts: Brind’Amour: Hurricanes Extension Won’t Be ‘An Easy Negotiation’

If RBA's is as reported at $1.8M, then he is well below market value and is paid a lot less than what Dundon has invested in his pickleball operation.

Last edited:

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
a3a74665-960b-4a4f-b900-98b3b9005b33_text.gif

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Look, it’s gonna get done. Everyone knows it will. But doing this every damn time is such a bizarre self-inflicted thing that is now actively distracting your fanbase from a playoff run and stringing along the most important guy in franchise history. Just sign him to a damn contract and get it done. Dundon doing this whole “take a pound of flesh every time you get to the negotiating table” thing is starting to get really annoying.

You’ve got a Jack Adams-level coach asking for basically below a fair market price. If Aho came in and said “yeah I’ll take $7m/yr”, you don’t negotiate him down to $6.5m, you just sprint to the office to sign the papers. Do the same to the loyal coach/employee who’s intentionally given up his biggest bargaining chip in the spirit of just getting a deal done.

Brad Meador

May 5, 2019
I'll believe it when it happens. But...for what it's worth, I don't see Brindamour leaving. Even if no deal is reached and other teams reach out after the season is over I think he will decline those offers so he can wait for a deal with Carolina to get done.

I mean, Rod knows the players love him and the fans love him and if he leaves this franchise will likely go down the toilet. Brindamour has made Carolina a winning franchise for the last 6 years and cup favorites.

I just hope that this team that loves him can win him a Cup. That's the one thing that's been lacking all these years. A Stanley Cup.

All the great regular season years and we can't get over the hump. We've been so close every year but always ends in disappointment.

I hope for a better outcome this year.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Look, it’s gonna get done. Everyone knows it will. But doing this every damn time is such a bizarre self-inflicted thing that is now actively distracting your fanbase from a playoff run and stringing along the most important guy in franchise history. Just sign him to a damn contract and get it done. Dundon doing this whole “take a pound of flesh every time you get to the negotiating table” thing is starting to get really annoying.

You’ve got a Jack Adams-level coach asking for basically below a fair market price. If Aho came in and said “yeah I’ll take $7m/yr”, you don’t negotiate him down to $6.5m, you just sprint to the office to sign the papers. Do the same to the loyal coach/employee who’s intentionally given up his biggest bargaining chip in the spirit of just getting a deal done.
They can't help themselves when it comes to doing deals. The need to come out on top appears to supersede all at times.

While the Canes first round performance didn't exactly impress, I can't imagine that a playoff outcome is factoring into this situation as a variable.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC

That's pretty much how I feel about it at this point.

I get it, it's how Dundon operates and I don't think Rod is actually going anywhere. But if there's one guy in the org where the juice isn't worth the Tom squeeze, it's Rod. Just get it done ahead of time and don't even leave the door open for speculation in the middle of a playoff run.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad