Confirmed with Link: Ratelle's #19 To Be Retired

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Don't really see the guy who is hated by the organization and its players having a pull here

I was joking.

FWIW Ratelle had an even better career with the Bruins than he did with the Rangers.

I've seen some people make this argument, but can you explain the reasoning to me? I know he was still really productive on the Bruins, but how does that 6 years trump what he did in 16 with the Rangers?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I was joking.

I've seen some people make this argument, but can you explain the reasoning to me? I know he was still really productive on the Bruins, but how does that 6 years trump what he did in 16 with the Rangers?

Ratellle in his six seasons with the Bruins had more deep runs for one thing. 4 of his 6 years with them he was over a point a game.

With the Rangers:
862 games played--336 goals-481 assists-817 points. Not quite a point a game player.
With the Bruins:
419 games played--155 goals-295 assists-450 points.

Playoffs Rangers:

65 games played--9 goals-33 assists-42 points. As a Ranger Ratelle was a bit of a playoff underachiever particularly on the goals.

Playoffs Bruins:

58 games played-23 goals-33 assists-56 points. Much more impressive.

As well he outperformed Phil Esposito as a Ranger in regular seasons and very much as a playoff player. Rangers lost that trade.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Ratellle in his six seasons with the Bruins had more deep runs for one thing. 4 of his 6 years with them he was over a point a game.

With the Rangers:
862 games played--336 goals-481 assists-817 points. Not quite a point a game player.
With the Bruins:
419 games played--155 goals-295 assists-450 points.

Playoffs Rangers:

65 games played--9 goals-33 assists-42 points. As a Ranger Ratelle was a bit of a playoff underachiever particularly on the goals.

Playoffs Bruins:

58 games played-23 goals-33 assists-56 points. Much more impressive.

As well he outperformed Phil Esposito as a Ranger in regular seasons and very much as a playoff player. Rangers lost that trade.
Ratelles ppg with the rangers is lower because it includes the years when he was breaking into the league...

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Ratelles ppg with the rangers is lower because it includes the years when he was breaking into the league...

True enough. Even so post trade he outperforms Espo who outperformed him for the years previous to the trade. And the playoffs numbers easily skew towards Bruins Jean over Rangers Jean.

Curious. Do you go back that far?

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Nah man. It's Oakley that's on HFB

That's what the whole confrontation was about at the Knicks game the other night. Oakley went to tell Dolan that Ratelle's jersey needs to be retired and they got into an argument about it.

Love it...well played narrative...lol

Seriously that is weird...isn't it? Just the other day someone put up a thread on this and I know I personally went on a rant specifically about how it's absurd a longtime great Ranger Ratelle who is only in the HOF and was just voted onto the alltime Hockey 100 and who wore his #19 Ranger jersey at the all star game somehow doesn't have his number up there in the rafters.

Whatever the case whether or not a Dolan lacky reads our board or not, it's about ****ing time Ratelle got this due from this organization for all the great year he put in.....:nod:

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
He should be a baller and go with #91.

Not a good move for Jesper to do seeing he will need to change his # again for the 2018 season which would be his third time, when GMJG signs some guy with the initials JT after he decides he's had enough and becomes a UFA.....:sarcasm:

My opinion is Fast should go with a # 33 or something and he should be safe rest of his Ranger career....lol

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
FWIW Ratelle had an even better career with the Bruins than he did with the Rangers.

Your not saying you don't think Ratelle should be up in the rafters...right Eco? Doesn't seem that way. I wouldn't go so far as to say he had a "better" career with the B's than he did with us. His career got extended for sure when he joined Boston. Not sure your old enough to remember but once the Rangers lost that playoff series to the Islanders in '75, that was the beginning of the end of those great Ranger teams from the early 70's that Ratelle was a huge part of and they became old and needed to retool.

They made that terrible deal of Middelton to Boston for Hodge which made it worse. Anyways, Boston had a great team that Ratelle was going to...much better than we were and so even tho he was in the back 9 of his career, because the surrounding talent of Boston was so good, Ratelle put up some very solid seasons. Boston made the playoffs pretty much every year whereas Rangers didn't make playoffs again until they went on that out of nowhere Cup run in '79.

So tho I agree Ratelle had a very nice 6 years in Boston, I contend that the 16 years he played in NY was good enough to be considered "up to the rafters" worthy. His 6 years in Boston only cemented how good he was and made him "HOF" worthy.

You make some good points Eco that his Boston career was on point per game basis maybe better but his time in NY was still more than good enough to be honored. Hopefully you followed my train of thought here.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
True enough. Even so post trade he outperforms Espo who outperformed him for the years previous to the trade. And the playoffs numbers easily skew towards Bruins Jean over Rangers Jean.

Curious. Do you go back that far?
i dont, but how does how espo's performance as a ranger effect ratelle's? ratelle's GP and total points blow his bruins numbers away.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Your not saying you don't think Ratelle should be up in the rafters...right Eco? Doesn't seem that way. I wouldn't go so far as to say he had a "better" career with the B's than he did with us. His career got extended for sure when he joined Boston. Not sure your old enough to remember but once the Rangers lost that playoff series to the Islanders in '75, that was the beginning of the end of those great Ranger teams from the early 70's that Ratelle was a huge part of and they became old and needed to retool.

They made that terrible deal of Middelton to Boston for Hodge which made it worse. Anyways, Boston had a great team that Ratelle was going to...much better than we were and so even tho he was in the back 9 of his career, because the surrounding talent of Boston was so good, Ratelle put up some very solid seasons. Boston made the playoffs pretty much every year whereas Rangers didn't make playoffs again until they went on that out of nowhere Cup run in '79.

So tho I agree Ratelle had a very nice 6 years in Boston, I contend that the 16 years he played in NY was good enough to be considered "up to the rafters" worthy. His 6 years in Boston only cemented how good he was and made him "HOF" worthy.

You make some good points Eco that his Boston career was on point per game basis maybe better but his time in NY was still more than good enough to be honored. Hopefully you followed my train of thought here.

No I'm not going to say he doesn't deserve to be there. I do remember the time though and I can tell you this--Ratelle for the first 5 years after the trade was very arguably an even better player than he was with the Rangers. He fit onto the Bruins like a glove. He fit a lot better than Espo did for the Rangers and his best playoffs were with the Bruins not the Rangers. I know several Bruins fans and back then the Bruins were our biggest rival and between Ratelle, Park and Middleton they ended up a lot better off than we did and I was always hearing about it. Emile Francis made a mistake on all of them. As for Ratelle though--the trade was probably every bit as much of a shock as it was for Esposito....but we never really heard Ratelle's end of it...the thing is though that IMO it made Ratelle an even better player--made him a more clutch player.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
No I'm not going to say he doesn't deserve to be there. I do remember the time though and I can tell you this--Ratelle for the first 5 years after the trade was very arguably an even better player than he was with the Rangers. He fit onto the Bruins like a glove. He fit a lot better than Espo did for the Rangers and his best playoffs were with the Bruins not the Rangers. I know several Bruins fans and back then the Bruins were our biggest rival and between Ratelle, Park and Middleton they ended up a lot better off than we did and I was always hearing about it. Emile Francis made a mistake on all of them. As for Ratelle though--the trade was probably every bit as much of a shock as it was for Esposito....but we never really heard Ratelle's end of it...the thing is though that IMO it made Ratelle an even better player--made him a more clutch player.

I'm not sure Ratelle was "better" when he became a Bruin but he certainly played with better players from 1975 till end of his career than if he had stayed a Ranger and that's what clinched the fact he was going to the HOF. He no doubt put up better stats than he would have if the big trade had not gone down.

Funny, you make the same mistake most people do and please don't take this as a criticism at all. Yes Emile Francis did make the Park-Ratelle-Zanussi for Espo and Vadnais deal, he did not however make the ill fated Rick Middleton for Ken Hodge deal which IMO is THE worst deal in Ranger history. It was actually John Ferguson who stupidly made it. Ferguson btw might be the worst GM we ever had.

All I know is that a bigtime wrong finally is going to be made right. I'm going to do whatever needs to be done to be at MSG to see the #19 finally get raised to the rafters to join his buddies Giacoman and Gilbert.

I kind of wonder if they might do the same thing for Park tho he played 8 great years for us and 7-8 years for the Bruins. That's a close call tho....Ratelle never was.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I'm not sure Ratelle was "better" when he became a Bruin but he certainly played with better players from 1975 till end of his career than if he had stayed a Ranger and that's what clinched the fact he was going to the HOF. He no doubt put up better stats than he would have if the big trade had not gone down.

Funny, you make the same mistake most people do and don't take this as a criticism tho Emile Francis did make the Park-Ratelle-Zanussi for Espo and Vadnaid deal, he did not make the ill fated Rick Middleton for Ken Hodge deal which IMO is THE worst deal in Ranger history. It was actually John Ferguson who stupidly made it.

All I know is that a bigtime wrong finally is going to be made right. I'm going to do whatever needs to be done to be at MSG to see the #19 finally get raised to the rafters to join his buddies Giacoman and Gilbert.

I kind of wonder if they might do the same thing for Park tho he played 8 great years for us and 7-8 years for the Bruins. That's a close call tho....Ratelle never was.

I'm also torn about the Ratelle number retirement, but I will certainly salute him when it happens.

That being said, if Ratelle is questionable based on success and time spent with each team, than Park is a definite no. If they want to retire Park, they should retire the Gumper too.

I mean in regard to Worsley, talk about lucking out by getting the **** off of that team.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Put it up there Mr. Gentleman Jean!

t5m0x0.jpg

You deserve it! Gonna be a tearful night!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad