Player Discussion Rate our off-season

How would you rate our off-season so far?

• Total voters
Sep 13, 2009
How would you rate our off-season so far? What have you liked? What have you disliked? What would you still like to see? Overall, I am pretty satisfied. I know most of us were expecting more, but it takes two to tango!

What have I liked? Blake Coleman. This guy has a chance to score 20+ playing alongside Gaudreau and Monahan.

What have I disliked? Losing Giordano. That one stings!

What would I still like to see? An offensive minded defenceman (I'm not sure if our D can generate enough offence.) Also, one more forward.

Overall, I rate the off-season so far a 'B.'

Last edited:

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
I will be an optimist here. I think some of our top guys’ value is low so I am glad Treliving didn’t give up a guy like Monohan for a moderate return.

All his moves were to model the team for Sutter. Really there was no other choice. Not sure what is happening with Johnny so my B grade could change based on that.

I love Coleman; great player and the new age analytics have him as one of the top two way guys out there. If we can get 15 goals out of Lewis and Pitlick that is a huge improvement over our bottom guys from last few years. Zadorov will be solid. Vladar is intriguing. Still need some offence though. Maybe it’s there in house - ie Dube.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I mean this is how I'd rate it:
  • Loss Giordano for nothing: F
  • Made a trade for Zadurov: B-D depending on the contract extension he signs.
  • Sign Blake Coleman: B, would be an A if he got a year or two less.
  • Trade for Pitlick: C, not a difference maker but a decent depth player.
  • Sign Trevor Lewis: C, vet depth signing that's a Sutter guy.
  • Draft: A, in terms of the actual picks the Flames did well. Their draft has been rated highly across the board with some of the later picks especially. I love the Coronato pick, as Sillinger wasn't available.
  • Changing the core: F, we've been told core changes need to happen, losing Giordano for nothing doesn't constitute that.
You average that our, and it's like, 1A, 2Fs, 1B, 2C's one up in the air. Pushes the number below a C, so I went with D.

Add Eichel trade when it happens:
  • Loss Giordano for nothing: C; his cap leaving helps this move.
  • Made a trade for Zadurov: B-D depending on the contract extension he signs.
  • Sign Blake Coleman: B, would be an A if he got a year or two less.
  • Trade for Pitlick: C, not a difference maker but a decent depth player.
  • Sign Trevor Lewis: C, vet depth signing that's a Sutter guy.
  • Draft: A, in terms of the actual picks the Flames did well. Their draft has been rated highly across the board with some of the later picks especially. I love the Coronato pick, as Sillinger wasn't available.
  • Changing the core: A, we finally add a top line elite centre we've needed for +25 years.
  • Trade for Eichel: A+++++++++++, you win every trade you make for an elite centre. Nuff said.
Literally adding Eichel and the infinite A+'s I can give that move, moves everything to the A+ range :laugh:

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I'll rate it a B so far.

We are better by our subtractions - Nordstrom, Simon, Leivo, Domingue, Ryan, and yes (sadly) Giordano.

We needed some size and verve and we are better from our additions - Coleman, Pitlick, Lewis, Zadorov, and Vlader. We will see about Welinski.

I liked the re-signing of Ritchie and hope Stone is also re-signed.

As Tre said recently in a presser, the team is also looking forward to continued internal growth. Without him naming players you would have to think of Dube, Mangiapane, Hanifin, Andersson, Valimaki and maybe Ruzicka, Phillips, or Gawdin making the jump.

Internal growth also comes from normal seasons from guys like Gaudreau, Tkachuk, and most especially Monahan.

So, for me, if no other changes are made, the Flames will ice a pretty good competative club that will challenge for the play-offs. I think Tre may still go big game hunting. If he does, via free agency or trade, we couldbe very hard to play against.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
It's a C that could go to an A if we get Eichel. It could drop to a D if we don't.

The way this roster is shaping up right now, I think we miss the playoffs. And if we do sneak in, we'll be a formality again. Need that big piece to re-open our window. A scoring Dman would be nice too

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Looking at Eichel's numbers they aren't much better than Monahan's except in the assist department. For a $10M cap hit?

If there is another trade or acquisition I'd be looking elsewhere.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Looking at Eichel's numbers they aren't much better than Monahan's except in the assist department. For a $10M cap hit?

If there is another trade or acquisition I'd be looking elsewhere.

Shocks me that people still look at numbers and not what the player can do.
Wouldn't it be nice to have Johnny be able to turn to another player on the line to move the puck up the ice? Wouldn't it be impressive if he had another player to setup a play? Wouldn't it be impressive if had another player to create offence? How about a player fast enough to create a 2-1 with John?

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Hopefully not done. Right now it feels like a college student that started an essay due at midnight at 11PM and it's about 11:45 right now.

Reactions: DCDM

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Johnny and Eichel makes this team a contender. Otherwise they will toil in mediocrity and hope for a miracle ‘04 like run.

this off season is a failure if we don’t get him

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Right now? F
This team has been failing for quite some time now and so far the changes to the team haven't remedied that.... in fact the loss of Gio has made it worse.
I expect 2021-22 to be a season of very boring Flames hockey with the team struggling to make it into the playoffs.
Yes.. I see the glass as half empty. Not at all optimistic about getting Eichel. Adams wants way too much and Treliving won't gut the team to pay it. Adams is under no pressure to back down. He has Eichel locked up for the next 5 years and he's going back into tank mode anyways. Because of that all Adams wants is young blue chip prospects and high draft picks. Anyone over the age of 25 need not apply.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad