Rate Boudreau's job so far as coach?

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
9. The special teams need to be better, but other than that, I think BB has been awesome

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
9. The special teams need to be better, but other than that, I think BB has been awesome
I agree with the sentiment, but I'd give a lower grade. I'd give him an 8. If I felt there was a good excuse for our power play I'd give him the extra point, this year at least - last year our top guys came unspooled a bit.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I agree with the sentiment, but I'd give a lower grade. I'd give him an 8. If I felt there was a good excuse for our power play I'd give him the extra point, this year at least - last year our top guys came unspooled a bit.

I agree. I think BB's use of his personnel on the PP has been a bit dumb. He's got Bonino on first PP. Why not have Ryan/Selanne on first PP. In 2010-2011 our PP was great when it was Visnovsky (Souray)-Fowler-Getzlaf-Selanne-Perry.

The second PP should be Sbisa-Beauchamin-Koivu-Ryan-Palmieri

IMO that maxamizes our talent

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
I'd try Holland over Koivu on that second unit, or have Bobby center KP and one of Winnik, Holland, or Beleskey.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I'd go 7 1/2 or 8. The record is fantastic, but the Ducks have been coming out limp to start games, and end up spending the rest of it trying to even up the score. On top of that, I haven't liked the way the PP has been handled at all. What I have liked is that this team has spunk. They aren't throwing in the towel, like ever. Boudreau isn't afraid to juggle the lines to get the results he wants. Finally, the players just look like they are having a good time.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU

He still mixes up lines a bit too much for me, but it is hard to argue against it because it is working. As others have mentioned, his PP units are dumb and gets me frustrated constantly.

FFS Bruce: Selanne-Getzlaf-Perry-Fowler-Souray. Let Getzlaf and Fowler roam, Perry puts his ass in front of goaltenders like normal, and Selanne in his vintage off wing spot.

What I'm most impressed with is his feel for the game(finding good in game line mates) and I really like the way that he rewards players. Like Winnik being on the ice at the end of games, Bonino getting a shootout chance, and subsequently becoming our shootout ace:laugh:, etc. The players have really bought in to whatever he is preaching. Despite having a problem with starting slow, the team really believes they are in every game and never quits.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
Last year he was basically .500 and this year the team has played good under him.
As you all know my problem with him is he is not a fan of the physical game which had bitten him in the ass during playoff series. sometimes he needs to understand that when one of his players gets cheapshotted there has to be reprocussions. Also a fight or big hit can change momentum if he mixes this in he has potential.
Current rating 6

Last edited:

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
i'd give him a 7 until some consistency is shown. this constant starting out the game flat and coming from behind is getting old and sooner or later thats really got to be fixed.

also the special teams really needs to be better ESPECIALLY THAT 5 ON 3. why have we looked so awful 5 on 3

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I'd give him a solid 8. It was lower last year because I honestly wasn't impressed with the team after he took over (thought the better record had a lot to do with the TD, and I thought Getz, Perry, Fowler looked worse with him). However, the guys seem to love playing for him, and that's always a good sign. The lines have me scratching my head sometimes, but he seems to press most of the right buttons... Lots of work to do still on various things.

ShadowDuck

Captain Anaheim
May 19, 2011
Boston, MA

It's way too early to give him a fair grade, he still hasn't coached this team for a full 82 game season.

There's no doubt that this teams plays great under him. As everyone has mentioned, odd choices on the special teams and random lines that have no chance together hurt his grade.

I'll bump it to a 9-10 once he wins in the playoffs.

Corey Perry*

He's getting a lot out of the players, they're winning (and they were pretty good second half of last season), but they have some important things to work on. The Powerplay hasn't been very good since 2011, and the PK has been pretty average. Other than that, pretty good job.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
8.5 Bylsmas/10

Most of what he does is good but he hasn't been able to keep this team as dominant as he could be.

SugarSherm

The One and Only
Aug 25, 2012
Augusta, Georgia
7.5/10. Hes done an excellent job so far and the team is playing great so far under him but the constant line juggling gets annoying. Seems like the Ducks have different line combinations every game.

Fallenity

Apr 12, 2011
8.5, only problem are the special teams and constant line juggling. If he'd stick to his own philosophy of pairs and moving the third piece then it'd be okey, but we seem to see a lot of completely new lines every game.

But he does seem like a good coach who seems to be able to motivate the depth players at least, but his long-term record with star players is at least a bit questionable. One can only hope that he's learned a bit, Perry, Ryan and Getzlaf seem the type of players who will take all the leash you give them.

GermanRocket7

Fire Newell Brown yesteryear!
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
^

You shouldn't forget that "star" player was Alexander Ovechkin. He's a diva just as much as this other rat-faced superstar whose name I forgot. BB seems to get along well with pretty much every player, and it has been stated (or at least rumored) multiple times now that this was one of RC's main problems. As much as he knew about hockey, that guy was full of **** when it came to handling players.

Fallenity

Apr 12, 2011
^

You shouldn't forget that "star" player was Alexander Ovechkin. He's a diva just as much as this other rat-faced superstar whose name I forgot. BB seems to get along well with pretty much every player, and it has been stated (or at least rumored) multiple times now that this was one of RC's main problems. As much as he knew about hockey, that guy was full of **** when it came to handling players.

True dat

Suddenly7

Jun 15, 2012
Anaheim

I think the Ducks are build for a Boudreau system. Highly skilled players that are fast and willing to play defense. I believe it's fitting really well with the way we have been drafting lately. I would like to see a better defense that has been shown this season. I still feel we are playing a weak defense and relying on our offensive production.

I always thought that Randy's system was more of a physical system that needed big players to overpower the other team. Looking at our team this season I don't think that was going to work since we have given up size for speed.

Jun 9, 2011
Detroit
I'm curious as to what is the difference between this year and last year though (besides standings). I'm not really familiar with the team's line up but isn't this pretty much the same team as last year?

rollingdux

Jun 2, 2012
So Cal
twitter.com
8 Would be higher if our special teams would be better. He's the kind of coach this group needs.

Line juggling is 50/50 with me. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

goosemooseduck

Mar 19, 2009
I'm curious as to what is the difference between this year and last year though (besides standings). I'm not really familiar with the team's line up but isn't this pretty much the same team as last year?

Ducks got more size and depth on D side (Souray, Allen, Lovejoy), on the front side, not much has changed, except youngster are more NHL ready than they've been last season. The biggest hole still remains, missing legitimate 2nd line center.
Goally situation has improved with Fasth.

As a team they're better off than last season, but not by much. Playoff team alright, but not as good as standing suggest.

duxfever

Mar 29, 2009
Orange, CA

Not really. We added Souray and Allen, and now Lovejoy has been inserted into the lineup. So that is obviously 50% of the D corps. On any given night, one of Sbisa, Lydman, Allen or Lovejoy is in the press box.

Fasth is now the 1A you could say and while the forward group largely consists of the same top end guys (Getzlaf, Ryan, Selanne, Perry), it is the make up of the forward lines that are completely different. Koivu is now in a primarily 3C role with Winnik (new) and Cogliano alongside him. Beleskey and Palmieri have switched off on that top line with Getzlaf and Perry. Then the fourth line has been entirely new with the carousel of guys like Maroon, Holland, Staubitz and then Bonino, Beleskey, Palmieri all sprinkled in.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
One of the biggest differences is that Getzlaf looks like, well, Getzlaf. He is the straw that stirs the drink most nights. Perry is also starting to look like himself. Those are big deals for Anaheim.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad