Player Discussion Rasmus Ristolainen

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThunderD

Jan 29, 2016
Murray has a point though...he IS still restricted. Risto will have plenty of time to bend TM over next time around.

Going by that logic then Murray should only give him 3 years, not expect him to take the lowball offer for 6 years. Either way if this $4.5m/6 offer is true it's too low in any scenario.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I think Buffalo is trying to keep it between Reilly ($5m AAV) and Jones ($5.4m) AAV, with similar terms (6 years). I think Risto thinks that the AAV should start with a "6" and he's using Hamilton as the reason why.

Unfortunately, I think Buffalo ultimately bends more and gets a 6 x $6m+ deal. Meh.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Not likely since that sets the bar for a pretty high QO.

The QO would be the exact same as they'd already be paying him. Don't see how that'd be a deal breaker. Neither side wanting a one year deal would probably be a bigger issue.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The QO would be the exact same as they'd already be paying him. Don't see how that'd be a deal breaker. Neither side wanting a one year deal would probably be a bigger issue.

The whole point for a shorter bridge deal on the team's side is to not pay as much and make the player prove more.

If you do 1 year $6M, the team is stuck at the player at the number, as a minimum, moving forward. There is no reason for the team to do a 1 year deal at $6M other than just getting a player signed.

If the team is going to $6M per, they will want to buy some UFA years. A one year deal doesn't do that.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
I bet the two sides came in at $4.5 vs $6.5, with either side only willing to cave-in a half mil or so. That still leaves them a million apart at $5 vs $6.

then someone please step in and tell them both to stop being *******s and agree to $5.5. It's still a steal short term for the player and longterm for the team. Right now he's not a $6-6.5 million player, he's going to be a $3-4 million guy for probably another 2 years, but after that if he continues this progression he will be extremely underpaid. If he really is the one asking for 8 years I imagine he understands all of that and realizes he's probably leaving several million a year on the table for a bit more than he's worth now. The whole situation just doesn't make much sense to me, we have the cap space, we want/need him to develop into our top defenseman, and at the reported Risto number he becomes one of the best value 1D's in the league in 3 years, even if we get good and he regressed into a 3D role I'm comfortable with his number going forward based on his toolset. They just need to get the deal done.

JOVIS*

I think Buffalo is trying to keep it between Reilly ($5m AAV) and Jones ($5.4m) AAV, with similar terms (6 years). I think Risto thinks that the AAV should start with a "6" and he's using Hamilton as the reason why.

Unfortunately, I think Buffalo ultimately bends more and gets a 6 x $6m+ deal. Meh.

I think you are 100% right about the Reilly-Jones contracts. Why would BUF cave to an RFA though? The only downside is if they develop a rep that they are stingy w their players and possibly have a chilling effect on players wanting to re-sign or UFA to BUF.... yet everyone knows beyond all doubt that this is farthest from truth. SEE: Moulson, Ehroff, Leino, O'reilly, Ennis, etccc :popcorn:

p.s. LOL @ GMTM's lovey-dovey comments
smooch-85779.gif

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I love murray's style, but, and this is the first time I've said such, this quote makes him sound like an *******:

"No," Murray told The Associated Press while breaking into a laugh on Friday. "Unless you ask him that when he got here that he got all lovey-dovey and wants to play for what we want to pay him."

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I love murray's style, but, and this is the first time I've said such, this quote makes him sound like an *******:

"No," Murray told The Associated Press while breaking into a laugh on Friday. "Unless you ask him that when he got here that he got all lovey-dovey and wants to play for what we want to pay him."

Well it's speculated that Risto could be doing this to put pressure on the GM via the media and fans, which seems to be working. Everyone's all "OMG, he's playing with the team even though he doesn't have to, what a guy, what a team player! Pay him!" TM's like "you can play but this changes nothing."

So I don't think it makes him sound like an a-hole at all, he's simply maintaining his stance in the face of Risto's agent's strategy to get him to cave.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Well it's speculated that Risto could be doing this to put pressure on the GM via the media and fans, which seems to be working. Everyone's all "OMG, he's playing with the team even though he doesn't have to, what a guy, what a team player! Pay him!" TM's like "you can play but this changes nothing."

So I don't think it makes him sound like an a-hole at all, he's simply maintaining his stance in the face of Risto's agent's strategy to get him to cave.

Yup.

Would be nice to know what the actual numbers from each side are. At least then I'd be able to form some kind of opinion. :laugh:

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009

If the season is started and goes on for a month prior to Risto signing AND the cap hit is less than 5, Murray will have caused a major brand hit. Being succesful in UFA market is a lot about reputation. 4.5 for 6 years would sound like extortion. Hell, Risto could make considerably more in KHL.

27 million over 6. Less than Anaheim's Vatanen, a third pairing D-man.

I hope I won't see Risto signed under 5 after this rumor. Think of it, Risto could get MORE by taking consecutive qualifying offers and cashing in in the first two years of UFA and/or putting his contract through arbitration.

And use of the term "lovey-dovey" while laughing isn't exactly the best negotiating tactic according to the latest psychology studies on negotiation. Even if you are just making a joke. There was million ways to give a more diplomatic answer without looking like you are ready to cave in.

And to think I was blaming Risto for the dead end just yesterday.

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto
TM needs to be tough on Risto. There's no way you can risk playing hardball with Jack or Sam.

Need to save some dollars somewhere

JOVIS*

Paul Hamilton just said the negotiations were going "very poorly" on WGR.... and then added something like... "they just hafta be careful he doesnt get to where Trouba is and start requesting a trade, which is often the beginning of the end" this seems like great hyperbole, even to me! :shakehead

Im pretty sure GMTM is going to be on w Schopp & BD at either 5 or 6 tonight before the Leafs game so should be interesting as always when he speaks :laugh:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Given that he's un-signed and camp has started, I don't think that conversations are going poorly isn't hyperbole.

If things were going well, Risto would have been signed months ago.

Murray isn't willing to back up the Brinks truck and Risto wants to get paid.

In the end, the stubbornness is going to hurt both sides, most likely.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
Given that he's un-signed and camp has started, I don't think that conversations are going poorly isn't hyperbole.

If things were going well, Risto would have been signed months ago.

Murray isn't willing to back up the Brinks truck and Risto wants to get paid.

In the end, the stubbornness is going to hurt both sides, most likely.

If Risto is signed under five, the only side that has been stubborn was Murray's. But it is too early to deem either side as stubborn.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Didn't know 4.5 was top 15? Is Vatanen's contract in the top ten or top five?

I assume that meant if Ristolainen gets what he wants, he will be top 15. According to this link, Klingberg's $4.25m cap hit is tied for 60th among defensemen. Vatanen's $4.875m is 47th. $5m would put him tied at 40th. $5.5m would put him tied with many players at 24th. $5.75m tied with many at 18th. $6m would tie Mike Green, Erik Johnson and Boychuk at 14th. $6.5m ties 11th with Karlsson and Pietrangelo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad