Proposal: Rasmus Ristolainen to LA

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
The Kings trading for a soon to be UFA sounds about the dumbest idea to me. Imagine moving some of the pieces mentioned here to have him walk as a UFA if he don’t like LA. This is the idiotic way LA use to run thing. Not to mention a RD is not a need in LA and anyone who thinks Risto would play more minutes than Roy is underselling Roy in a big way.
Jim Fox on ATKM podcast a couple weeks back actually was more interested in Risto than Dahlin. Risto is not as sound as Roy defensively but he can pass the puck and start plays. A LHD would be ideal tho. Risto seems likely to be available and is 26 I believe. I’d actually swap out Walker for him.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Jim Fox on ATKM podcast a couple weeks back actually was more interested in Risto than Dahlin. Risto is not as sound as Roy defensively but he can pass the puck and start plays. A LHD would be ideal tho. Risto seems likely to be available and is 26 I believe. I’d actually swap out Walker for him.

So the Kings pay Risto $5.4 million to be a third pairing defenseman? I'm not super interested in that.

Reactions: funky and go4hockey

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017

:sarcasm:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
His development has been ruined by bad teams and worse coaches. I'm not sure how much of it is him or the team but I am interested to find out.
I’ve always like how Risto competes. Big, skilled, high compete guy, who tries very hard. Are the Sabres ruining Dahlin now too?

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Zone exits, breakout passes, and general decision making are his biggest weaknesses. Changing teams could help but it won't suddenly make him a smarter player.

Definitely, but I’d also say the dysfunction of the franchise falls on his shoulders a bit too much as well. Tough to play well when you’re doing 25 minutes a night against the top competition and there’s never been a consistent breakout plan or anything. Risto is part of that, obviously, but everyone looks bad in this system- tough to make a good breakout pass when the forwards are behind the D and your partner constantly changes. Idk, I’ve always been a Risto fan and he was looking much improved before he got Covid- now he’s back to his old ways, but it’s just a train wreck all around. Wouldn’t be shocked to see him live up to his potential a bit more in a functional franchise- he’ll still make mistakes, but I think a good coach could eliminate a lot of his errors.

Reactions: LAKings88

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Definitely, but I’d also say the dysfunction of the franchise falls on his shoulders a bit too much as well. Tough to play well when you’re doing 25 minutes a night against the top competition and there’s never been a consistent breakout plan or anything. Risto is part of that, obviously, but everyone looks bad in this system- tough to make a good breakout pass when the forwards are behind the D and your partner constantly changes. Idk, I’ve always been a Risto fan and he was looking much improved before he got Covid- now he’s back to his old ways, but it’s just a train wreck all around. Wouldn’t be shocked to see him live up to his potential a bit more in a functional franchise- he’ll still make mistakes, but I think a good coach could eliminate a lot of his errors.

A good coach and team could mask Ristos flaws and highlight his strengths. But I wouldn't necessarily call that Risto living up to his potential.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Risto could probably flourish on the right team even more than Barrie is with the Oilers. Every time the Caps play the Sabres he stands out as the guy bodying Ovechkin in the neutral zone. Dude seems like he could be prime Phaneuf 2.0 but with a better shot inthe right situation

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Too much risk for LA. -182 player becoming a solid 2 way defender overnight won't happen, and I don't want to pay the cap hit and assets to find out if it can be corrected. I'll take a chance on our RD prospects Spence, Grans and Faber to pan out.

I am interested in Dahlin though. Or a similar type of player, big mobile left shot PMD. We have the assets and cap space to sign him to his next deal. I assume he will demand alot and Sabres probably won't move him anyway.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
A lot of the things being said anout Risto are the same things we used to say about Jack Johnson ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Zone exits, breakout passes, and general decision making are his biggest weaknesses. Changing teams could help but it won't suddenly make him a smarter player.

Luckily those are all the strengths of Roy, which is why the Kings have no need for Ristolainen.

Reactions: funky

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
LA’s right side

Doughty - Roy - Walker. - all signed for 3 years plus

AHL depth

Strand - Durzi and Clague (plays both sides)

Upper prospects

Faber - Grans

L.A’s right Defence is the most stable thing they have throughout the organization. They will protect all 3 NHL level right shot guys as Bjornfot and Anderson on the left are exempt and who cares if Seattle takes one of the leftovers.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
LA’s right side

Doughty - Roy - Walker. - all signed for 3 years plus

AHL depth

Strand - Durzi and Clague (plays both sides)

Upper prospects

Faber - Grans

L.A’s right Defence is the most stable thing they have throughout the organization. They will protect all 3 NHL level right shot guys as Bjornfot and Anderson on the left are exempt and who cares if Seattle takes one of the leftovers.

Don't forget Spence, who will be ready before either Faber or Grans.

There is simply no need for LA to consider any RHD. Even if it was a pure upgrade, that capital would be best spent elsewhere.

Reactions: Choralone and funky

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad