Best 2018 NHL Draft Defenseman

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Hughes, Dahlin has to be one of the most overrated since Yakupov

What would I know now? That the 2018 Buffalo Sabres are a pool of toxic waste, fueled by the attitude of Jack Eichel which is only going to get worse?

The factor of the team Rasmus Dahlin landed into cannot be underestimated.
Most 1st overalls land into a somewhat toxic environment. Good teams usually don’t get that pick

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Hughes is better now but I can see Dahlin taking strides and being the better defender long term. Well, defender, neither really play defense, but that’s another story…

Reactions: Guy Tetreault

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
Most 1st overalls land into a somewhat toxic environment. Good teams usually don’t get that pick
Eh really depends. Dahlin suffered to pave the way for a perfect situation for Power :laugh:

Non Sabres fans just have no idea what Krueger did to everybody, Dahlin especially. Completely neutered the best parts of his game and never let the young guys try things. Shattered their confidence. Put Jeff Skinner on the 4th line for an entire season (lol). Just buffoonery to hire a soccer manager as a hockey coach. He’s gonna have a monster season in a good situation for the first time ever. There won’t be any excuses, yet he won’t need any. I’ve never had higher conviction on a player guaranteed to show the league his worth than Dahlin this coming season.

Last edited:

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Eh really depends. Dahlin suffered to pave the way for a perfect situation for Power :laugh:

Non Sabres fans just have no idea what Krueger did to everybody, Dahlin especially. Completely neutered the best parts of his game and never let the young guys try things. Shattered their confidence. Put Jeff Skinner on the 4th line for an entire season (lol). Just buffoonery to hire a soccer manager as a hockey coach. He’s gonna have a monster season in a good situation for the first time ever. There won’t be any excuses, yet he won’t need any. I’ve never had higher conviction on a player guaranteed to show the league his worth than Dahlin this coming season.
If he can, that’ll be absolutely fantastic.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022

Season after next this season i expect 55-65 points with above average defense this season and after that 70-80 points with near elite defense or elite defense with 65-75 points after that with a couple peak seasons getting the norris

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
What would I know now? That the 2018 Buffalo Sabres are a pool of toxic waste, fueled by the attitude of Jack Eichel which is only going to get worse?

The factor of the team Rasmus Dahlin landed into cannot be underestimated.

So compare Dahlin to Ekblad, or to Eric Johnson, not to Hughes.

tbf quinn hughes was also drafted into one of the most toxic team environments in recent history

a ridiculously stupid management team that was given seven and a half years, and a trust fund baby owner playing fantasy shadow-gm, which (along with a garbage coaching staff) so completely demoralized the team that guys who skated into the league as fully formed all-stars went into years-long regressions and malaises (boeser and pettersson). which gave away the still excellent player who would have mentored hughes and insulated him and allowed him to grow (tanev), who hughes personally advocated we retain, to throw money at far worse players (myers, then OEL).

coached by travis green, whose defensive “systems” were historically bad and most of the time amoubted to basically “markstrom,” and later “demko.” who routinely played garbage vets that after they left here never played in the league again over young guys, on teams that were almost always in the bottom five.

which had jake virtanen (whose professional commitment hughes publicly called out as they were going into the bubble), hamonic (a rollercoaster i still don’t really understand), gudbranson and brandon sutter openly throwing the young players they were brought in to mentor under the bus in the media to cover up their own failures, conspiracy theorist nutjob adam gaudette bringing covid to the team and the complete managerial incompetence that kept everyone together so it could decimate practically the entire organization and alter brandon sutter’s longterm health and lead to multiple players openly calling out management (jt miller, horvat), including veteran players flat out quitting the team (most notably nate schmidt and career-long canuck edler)

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
tbf quinn hughes was also drafted into one of the most toxic team environments in recent history

a ridiculously stupid management team that was given seven and a half years, and a trust fund baby owner playing fantasy shadow-gm, which (along with a garbage coaching staff) so completely demoralized the team that guys who skated into the league as fully formed all-stars went into years-long regressions and malaises (boeser and pettersson). which gave away the still excellent player who would have mentored hughes and insulated him and allowed him to grow (tanev), who hughes personally advocated we retain, to throw money at far worse players (myers, then OEL).

coached by travis green, whose defensive “systems” were historically bad and most of the time amoubted to basically “markstrom,” and later “demko.” who routinely played garbage vets that after they left here never played in the league again over young guys, on teams that were almost always in the bottom five.

which had jake virtanen (whose professional commitment hughes publicly called out as they were going into the bubble), hamonic (a rollercoaster i still don’t really understand), gudbranson and brandon sutter openly throwing the young players they were brought in to mentor under the bus in the media to cover up their own failures, conspiracy theorist nutjob adam gaudette bringing covid to the team and the complete managerial incompetence that kept everyone together so it could decimate practically the entire organization and alter brandon sutter’s longterm health and lead to multiple players openly calling out management (jt miller, horvat), including veteran players flat out quitting the team (most notably nate schmidt and career-long canuck edler)
Expansion bro teams arguing.

"We're more toxic." "No, *we're* more toxic."

Good luck, Canucks fans. They're both fantastic young players.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
LOL Dahlin is winning this? I guess size is everything in this place. Quinn was absolutely spectacular at both ends of the ice last year. People think small = bad defensively, that will obviously never change.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Dahlin had his best Expected Underlying Offensive results this past year. But his rookie season still was his best all around season.
Screen Shot 2022-08-07 at 12.27.05 PM.png

Hughes though had his best defensive effort of his career, and his offensive numbers speak for themself

Screen Shot 2022-08-07 at 12.31.11 PM.png

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
For those of you who may have never seen Bobby Orr play, other than in highlights, Hughes is a decent facsimile of the Great Number 4.

Not saying Hughes is even near the best defensemen of his generation but he plays in the style of Orr more than any player I have seen since Orr.

Dahlin, not so much.

don't@me

Kopitar11

Oct 16, 2016
Sweden
Dahlin. Im not a fan of small defenders.
Always liked Hedman more then Erik Karlsson even if the media here in sweden often called Karlsson the best defender lol.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Dahlin led all NHL defenceman in the NHL in Minors taken

Right now, hughes has performed better and pretty much underlying number backs that up

Dahlin could be better this season and going forward
but what we know right now it is hughes EASILY

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad