Player Discussion Rasmus Asplund

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
If he did end up being a Hecht type I'd be thrilled. It feels like he could be a multi-faceted top 6 forward who can handle the dirty work and cover the defensive deficiencies on an offensive line. If he is just a bottom 6 forward with some offensive ability I'm good with that too. I consider him to be a key piece going forward. It seems like he can handle multiple roles and perform at a high level.

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
If he did end up being a Hecht type I'd be thrilled. It feels like he could be a multi-faceted top 6 forward who can handle the dirty work and cover the defensive deficiencies on an offensive line. If he is just a bottom 6 forward with some offensive ability I'm good with that too. I consider him to be a key piece going forward. It seems like he can handle multiple roles and perform at a high level.
Seems like the type of player that all of the good teams have, and we haven't for far too long. I'd look at him as a core-piece moving forward. While that sounds dramatic perhaps, these guys are not especially easy to find.

He's got sneaky good speed, is very good defensively, has a nose for the net, and makes a lot of good small plays within the game that lead to possession. Not many holes in his game, and seems to help any line he plays on to win their match up.

IMO, he's the Hecht/Hyman type of guy and will really help throughout the top 9, wherever he ends up. He'll never cost a ton of money most likely. I have high hopes that the new analytically focused front office will see his value and be proactive in getting him locked in here. Being that he and Olofsson are best friends, might make sense to start with Vickie O and then his buddy.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
One could make an argument that he's been the teams most consistent forward on both ends of the ice. I've loved his gradual confidence increase and you're seeing more in his offensive game than was there before.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

2 others

Mar 9, 2021
61Bns5znwtL._AC_UL1000_.jpg

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
Seems like the type of player that all of the good teams have, and we haven't for far too long. I'd look at him as a core-piece moving forward. While that sounds dramatic perhaps, these guys are not especially easy to find.

He's got sneaky good speed, is very good defensively, has a nose for the net, and makes a lot of good small plays within the game that lead to possession. Not many holes in his game, and seems to help any line he plays on to win their match up.

IMO, he's the Hecht/Hyman type of guy and will really help throughout the top 9, wherever he ends up. He'll never cost a ton of money most likely. I have high hopes that the new analytically focused front office will see his value and be proactive in getting him locked in here. Being that he and Olofsson are best friends, might make sense to start with Vickie O and then his buddy.

Agree, I see him when/if we become cup contenders as being a 3rd line forward via Tampa last season. Coleman/Gourde/Goodrow type impact.

RasmWristshotlainen

Jun 24, 2015
Finland
I would like to bump this thread.

Please share your thougths about Asplund. I feel he is a tad overrated around here. Seems like a nice guy and have a postivie attitude in the room. I'm interested in what you guys see in him that I don't. Should we try to replace him this offseason? I have read that he is snakebit but really though? could it be that he is not really that good...?

And mind you, this is not to shit on the guy, I really like the psotive vibes around him!

Reactions: allsilverdreams

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I would like to bump this thread.

Please share your thougths about Asplund. I feel he is a tad overrated around here. Seems like a nice guy and have a postivie attitude in the room. I'm interested in what you guys see in him that I don't. Should we try to replace him this offseason? I have read that he is snakebit but really though? could it be that he is not really that good...?

And mind you, this is not to shit on the guy, I really like the psotive vibes around him!
Doesn't look like he will be producing at the NHL level, but great two-way player and probably one of the best skaters on the team.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Excellent defensive blanket for others who hasn't had good luck shooting. He's got some strange ability to help keep xGA way, way down and shots are positive for his line when he's on the ice, just things aren't falling for him since the hot start.

Reactions: JLewyB

RasmWristshotlainen

Jun 24, 2015
Finland
Doesn't look like he will be producing at the NHL level, but great two-way player and probably one of the best skaters on the team.
Do you also think the skating has contributed positively to the overall game of the player? I also like the up and down game, but girgensons for example brings the same but a tad better on the cycle on the defense but also on the forecheck. Asplunds accuracy has been horrible his whole career and the passing is inconsistent, although some passes are crisp as can be. Something is missing for me to like the game he brings.

Also the snakebit thing problably comes from that he haven't scored since 21st of november. I was thrilled then but have cooled down from that hype since.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Do you also think the skating has contributed positively to the overall game of the player? I also like the up and down game, but girgensons for example brings the same but a tad better on the cycle on the defense but also on the forecheck. Asplunds accuracy has been horrible his whole career and the passing is inconsistent, although some passes are crisp as can be. Something is missing for me to like the game he brings.

Also the snakebit thing problably comes from that he haven't scored since 21st of november. I was thrilled then but have cooled down from that hype since.
My hope was bottom six, two-way center. But I am starting to wonder if what we are seeing is his ceiling. It's fine for now, but he's 25 in December. You need these types of guys, but the question is whether he isn't a player or role that would be upgraded on a much more successful team. Guys are pushing up from Roch, and the pressure is coming.

Reactions: Uberpecker

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
He is good young depth for the Sabres, but if I could easily upgrade him; I would.

How's his PK performance? (0:51 TOI/GP)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad