Value of: Rasmus Andersson, Markstrom @50% and Vancouver Canuck’s 1st round pick

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
no one is going to trade a top young player for that.

We could probably get a late first for Markstrom watching these awful performances in goal this playoffs.

Andersson could probably get one of the team that is stuck in a constant rebuild’s first round pick ie Buffalo or Ottawa or someone else

Late first should be a decent prospect available. Just gotta take our swings and hope we hit a few home runs

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Why trade Andersson?

I'd be cool with NJ giving up the 10th overall for that return. Marino become superfluous in NJ in that case and could either be included or traded for futures which head to Calgary as part of a 3 way trade.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Why trade Andersson?

I'd be cool with NJ giving up the 10th overall for that return. Marino become superfluous in NJ in that case and could either be included or traded for futures which head to Calgary as part of a 3 way trade.
Rasmus alone is worth that pick. Youngish top pairing defenseman at 4.5M. I think we'll get a late 1st for Markstrom in value.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
There is no fast tracking this Calgary rebuild. Regardless of who you'd acquire for that package, you'd be spending the next five or so years trying to find a reliable Andersson replacement.

Tear it down and build it the right way.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
There is no fast tracking this Calgary rebuild. Regardless of who you'd acquire for that package, you'd be spending the next five or so years trying to find a reliable Andersson replacement.

You know who Murray Edwards is right? The only way we ever do a proper rebuild is if there is a new owner.

We have to hope our scouts can hit a bunch of homeruns. Right now we have Wolf as the only potentially elite piece in our organization and goalies are so hard to project. Our scouting staff did get Gaudreau in the 4th, Fox in the 3rd and guys like Andersson and Mangiapane in later rounds too. The challenge is we have a supporting cast, but no core. Have to find some elite pieces without top 5 picks, that's a hard thing to do.

Everyone is happy Conroy actually sold. I'm concerned because every piece he sold besides Zadorov and Toffoli he tried to sign to long term extensions first, likely at the insistence of Edwards. The only player we should have tried to sign was Hanifin. Lindholm turning down that extension was the best thing that happened this season.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If the plan in Calgary is to try to hit on draft picks, I would think they would keep the Canuck's pick and try to move Markstrom for the best possible return. Andersson seems like a player to hold for now unless he's bridling to get out, at which point putting him alone on the market looking for futures and near-term prospects to get the most draft capital so Conroy can try to do the Dallas thing. But he seems like he should be kept rather than trading him and then later trying to find a 2-way RHD of his ilk.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
If the plan in Calgary is to try to hit on draft picks, I would think they would keep the Canuck's pick and try to move Markstrom for the best possible return. Andersson seems like a player to hold for now unless he's bridling to get out, at which point putting him alone on the market looking for futures and near-term prospects to get the most draft capital so Conroy can try to do the Dallas thing. But he seems like he should be kept rather than trading him and then later trying to find a 2-way RHD of his ilk.
It depends for me. If he wants to re-sign at the end of his term I'm keeping him. If he doesn't, then moving him now with the sweetheart contract might make the most sense. We really only have 3 top 4 defensemen now, so it would be painful in the meantime watching Kylington on the top pair and a collection of #6 defensemen on the middle pair. Crazy to think how much our blueline has atrophied in 1 year. We went from 6 top 4 guys to 3 in one season.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It depends for me. If he wants to re-sign at the end of his term I'm keeping him. If he doesn't, then moving him now with the sweetheart contract might make the most sense. We really only have 3 top 4 defensemen now, so it would be painful in the meantime watching Kylington on the top pair and a collection of #6 defensemen on the middle pair. Crazy to think how much our blueline has atrophied in 1 year. We went from 6 top 4 guys to 3 in one season.

Flip that around though and think of how Vancouver revamped 4 of their top 6 in under a year so it does seem to be possible to adjust somewhat rapidly if a team is diligent. That's not a shot, I know they are division rivals and them picking up Z is part of why Calgary's defense has thinned... just looking at recent examples who have adjusted on the fly.

I suppose finding out of RA wants to be part of the near-term build and trying to extrapolate the future ask for his deal so they can talk extension next summer would be high on Conroy's summer conversations. RA is such a unique type of player, plenty of teams I'm sure would be eager and excited to try to land him so possibly trading him would likely be an excellent haul.

Reactions: bernmeister

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Flip that around though and think of how Vancouver revamped 4 of their top 6 in under a year so it does seem to be possible to adjust somewhat rapidly if a team is diligent. That's not a shot, I know they are division rivals and them picking up Z is part of why Calgary's defense has thinned... just looking at recent examples who have adjusted on the fly.

I suppose finding out of RA wants to be part of the near-term build and trying to extrapolate the future ask for his deal so they can talk extension next summer would be high on Conroy's summer conversations. RA is such a unique type of player, plenty of teams I'm sure would be eager and excited to try to land him so possibly trading him would likely be an excellent haul.
I do think it's possible and easier to rebuild a blueline than center depth. These are our 2 biggest needs. It gets pretty thin here after Andersson, Weegar and Kylington. I think Pachal is the next best blueliner and he's really a #6. Miromanov has interesting potential. The others are really #7 types.

Like you said though. Bluelines can be fixed. It's why I'm hoping we draft Catton if he's available as opposed to one of the 6 stronger D in this draft. We have Zary coming for a top 9 C and that's it. It's not even a certainty he'll be at C in the future. Backlund and Kadri are both 34.

Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008

Andersson from his season exit interview does not want to be here.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008

From the exit interview with media, he gives off vibes that he does not to be here because the team is mostly likely going into a rebuild.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I do think it's possible and easier to rebuild a blueline than center depth. These are our 2 biggest needs. It gets pretty thin here after Andersson, Weegar and Kylington. I think Pachal is the next best blueliner and he's really a #6. Miromanov has interesting potential. The others are really #7 types.

Like you said though. Bluelines can be fixed. It's why I'm hoping we draft Catton if he's available as opposed to one of the 6 stronger D in this draft. We have Zary coming for a top 9 C and that's it. It's not even a certainty he'll be at C in the future. Backlund and Kadri are both 34.

It's funny, because I think the world of both Grushnikov and Okhotyuk from watching OHL and AHL games and think they both can be really solid 4/5's to help with defending while letting more mobile guys get up the ice. I have spent much time watching Okhotyuk in Calgary though, has it been that rough? He has both the mobility and throwback nature that seems like it should pair well in a breakout/takeout tandem as the takeout guy. I may be overly fond of him from his time in Utica.

Love Catton almost as much as I loved Benson even if it may be that he's a wing option. But yeah, two 34 year olds holding down 1C and 2C is certainly a point of concern. Maybe if Lindstrom falls (and his back checks out at the combine)? As a team that has struggled now for years to identify, develop and then retain centers as the key part of the start of their troubles almost 15 years ago... I hear what you say about the issues of finding centers.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
From the exit interview with media, he gives off vibes that he does not to be here because the team is mostly likely going into a rebuild.
Oof, okay, didn't see that. Again, put him into a separate deal to see what sort of strength of return he can establish by himself. The value on his contract would make him an option for nearly everyone.

Would something like Mercer and Marino for Markstrom and Andersson need a lot to balance in either direction? (Devil fans, apologies for this... I know it's come up before).

Reactions: viper0220

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Why trade Andersson?

I would be very down with the Devils pick in that package.

I think it makes a lot of sense for both teams.

A pairing combination of:

Hughes-Andersson
Neglect-Hamilton

Will be very good and with Markstrom in net, the Devils are in the playoffs.

Andersson for marner straight up.

This makes no sense for the Flames.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Absolutely no reason to package those assets together.

Rasmus Andersson is worth a top 10 pick plus additional assets by himself.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Oof, okay, didn't see that. Again, put him into a separate deal to see what sort of strength of return he can establish by himself. The value on his contract would make him an option for nearly everyone.

Would something like Mercer and Marino for Markstrom and Andersson need a lot to balance in either direction? (Devil fans, apologies for this... I know it's come up before).

Andersson + Markstrom @50% for Devils 1st round pick+Mercer, would that work?

If we include Markstrom at 50%, we can get a sweetheart deal from a team like the Devils or the Flyers.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Prior to the Byram deal, I would have happily put Buffalo's first (now 11th overall) in a deal for Andersson. I can't see it right now without another move first and Andersson's skills are more akin to what they have in Dahlin so it gets into a redundancy of skills.

But in another timeline, I would be happy to put 11OA into a deal for RA.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Mercer's value is all over the place to fans. I think he'll get bridged which means right now he's useful to NJ as a cheap top 9 winger, and the fact that he's young means he has potential to improve possibly even as soon as next year. But I def think he lost value this year and they won't try to lock him up longer term.

NJ would move him in the right deal but I don't think this would be it. They'd need more assurance goaltending is fixed and / or Rasmus Anderssen to be left handed.

Last edited:

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Andersson from his season exit interview does not want to be here.
I'm not so sure about that. I think he is generally very open about what he's feeling. The guy who clearly doesn't want to be here in Markstrom.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad