Confirmed with Link: Rasmus Andersson Contract Extension (6 x 4.55)

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
CrJXtPr.gif

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I honestly don't think he's a top 2 guy. A very solid #3, but I don't like his offensive ability - so far anyway.

And I do like this contract.

I think Rasmus has Ryan Suter type upside if all goes well, and certainly top pairing ability. The most important aspect for a defensemen is the ability to process the game at both a high speed and level. That is this kids biggest strength so I don’t see how you can limit his upside to that of a middle pairing defender during his sophomore season.. The vast majority of elite defender’s in the league today took multiple years to find their stride at both ends of the rink.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I think Rasmus has Ryan Suter type upside if all goes well, and certainly top pairing ability. The most important aspect for a defensemen is the ability to process the game at both a high speed and level. That is this kids biggest strength so I don’t see how you can limit his upside to that of a middle pairing defender during his sophomore season.. The vast majority of elite defender’s in the league today took multiple years to find their stride at both ends of the rink.
Well again, I'd say his shot is almost awful actually. It's soft considering his size, often flubbed and it's frequently off target. Then his puck control skills and mobility to make quick turns with the puck - all of the inclose movements to do with that - just aren't great and don't look like they can improve to a Gio or Brodie level.

But again he is good positionally, is solid and good at tieing up opponents and breaking up plays. He is a decent skater and can make decent breakout passes. I mean he's at this point to me our 3rd best D after Gio and Brodie. I just don't think he has the high end potential.

YYC

Feb 23, 2015
So I assume this means Kylington is getting 5-6 million per.
In what world would Kyllington get $5-6m. This is is his first full NHL season, does doesnt play in the top 4, he's not better than Hanafin or Raz. Give your head a shake.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Well again, I'd say his shot is almost awful actually. It's soft considering his size, often flubbed and it's frequently off target. Then his puck control skills and mobility to make quick turns with the puck - all of the inclose movements to do with that - just aren't great and don't look like they can improve to a Gio or Brodie level.

But again he is good positionally, is solid and good at tieing up opponents and breaking up plays. He is a decent skater and can make decent breakout passes. I mean he's at this point to me our 3rd best D after Gio and Brodie. I just don't think he has the high end potential.

Andersson has one of the hardest shots on the Flames. Not sure how anyone could think his shot is soft. It’s not all that accurate, but he can really let it rip.

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
Ceiling "might" be a number two, but I doubt it. A solid #3 is about as good as it gets IMO.

His shot isn't very good and his puck handling skills and mobility isn't upper end. But he's solid positionally, a big thick body and has decent foot speed.

His shot is unreal lol.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I think I get where Joey is coming from regarding Andersson's shot as it had been a nitpick of mine a few seasons back. At first, my nitpick about his shot wasn't that it was bad, it was that he didn't use it enough and deferred to passing all the time. His shots often got through towards the net and his team mates would randomly flub his passes. At the time, I merely thought his passes weren't sharp and whatnot, but after a while, I think it's a combination of two things that he's successfully separated. It seems to me he's worked on his passing to make them more crisp and easier to handle, so it's a little bit more difficult to detect now.

When Andersson started shooting more, there were quite a few times where the shot just somehow didn't seem to look right to me. It somehow wasn't always at the spot expected after the release. It wasn't a muffin but it seemed kinda slow... and then when I saw him playing with Gio and then it seemed like I found an answer. I think Andersson has a little bit of an unstable shot, but this is purposeful. Someone with a similar shot is Gio. It's not the most powerful/fast or stable shot in a straight line, but instead is a wobbly shot with tons of inertia and randomness to it. This allows it to ricochet through traffic towards the net if touched. It's not particularly a laser, but it has the type of attributes that makes it super hard to predict and handle at times.

Or at least that's what it seemed like to me. I hope I'm not confusing my observations with someone else.

Reactions: Tofveve

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I like it. Probably slight overpayment now, but we've got him locked down for years 24-30 now at what will probably be a steal in the long run. Even if he doesn't progress much, it's what guys like him are getting these days.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Andersson has one of the hardest shots on the Flames. Not sure how anyone could think his shot is soft. It’s not all that accurate, but he can really let it rip.

Maybe because he flubs it a lot? Like, when a peewee tries to take a slapper and it goes partially through his stick. Or because it's 15 feet wide. Maybe if he hits it perfect one out of every 20 times it's hard.

His shot isn't good from what I've seen and how I remember it. It's consistently not.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I think I get where Joey is coming from regarding Andersson's shot as it had been a nitpick of mine a few seasons back. At first, my nitpick about his shot wasn't that it was bad, it was that he didn't use it enough and deferred to passing all the time. His shots often got through towards the net and his team mates would randomly flub his passes. At the time, I merely thought his passes weren't sharp and whatnot, but after a while, I think it's a combination of two things that he's successfully separated. It seems to me he's worked on his passing to make them more crisp and easier to handle, so it's a little bit more difficult to detect now.

When Andersson started shooting more, there were quite a few times where the shot just somehow didn't seem to look right to me. It somehow wasn't always at the spot expected after the release. It wasn't a muffin but it seemed kinda slow... and then when I saw him playing with Gio and then it seemed like I found an answer. I think Andersson has a little bit of an unstable shot, but this is purposeful. Someone with a similar shot is Gio. It's not the most powerful/fast or stable shot in a straight line, but instead is a wobbly shot with tons of inertia and randomness to it. This allows it to ricochet through traffic towards the net if touched. It's not particularly a laser, but it has the type of attributes that makes it super hard to predict and handle at times.

Or at least that's what it seemed like to me. I hope I'm not confusing my observations with someone else.

That was a pretty good analysis and how I kind of see it.

I'm going to watch it more because of the disagreement here. I hope others do too.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
We can debate Andersson's shot however we like but the stats do not lie:

2.4% career shooting. 5 goals on 208 shots.

I think he (and Hanifin) have potential to grow in terms of goals, but just watch our d-man use their shot. It's all telegraphed bullshit that has to go through 3 layers of players to hit the net, they stand no chance. It's a team problem, not any one player on the team. Gio was able to score so much last year 'cause he'd walk in a snipe it, but teams have realized this and he can't get that through anymore so we've been hopeless from getting defensive goals.

95% of the shots from the point are shitty little floaters that goalies will always stop.

Reactions: Tofveve

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Solid deal, but the "its a steal" warcries on "that other board" are as ridiculous as our friends up north calling Bear a Calder candidate.

Rasmus is solid and has potential but right now he's playing mostly on 3rd pair and scored 5 career goals. $4.55 for that is nowhere close to a steal (yet)

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Our Dmen sit too high near the blue line to get a quality shot through and are too separated to offer a one-timer option.

Those little floaters from the point remind me of Gaudreau's low angle slappers from the goalline. They'll go in a couple times a year but you just look foolish the more you force it.

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
I think he ends up a solid #3 option that can fill in on the top pairing, but we really need Vali to come back and to fulfill his destiny of being that top pairing guy. Vali, just has more tools than our other young D and has good size. Was really hoping for Hanifin to progress, but he's been brutal with Hamonic.. so the jury is out if that's a Hamonic problem or they both suck.

Really sucks Fox left, as he's exactly what we need right now.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I think he ends up a solid #3 option that can fill in on the top pairing, but we really need Vali to come back and to fulfill his destiny of being that top pairing guy. Vali, just has more tools than our other young D and has good size. Was really hoping for Hanifin to progress, but he's been brutal with Hamonic.. so the jury is out if that's a Hamonic problem or they both suck.

Really sucks Fox left, as he's exactly what we need right now.

A small offensive Dman who's a fire drill in his own end?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad