OT: Raptors/NBA Return to Play

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
NBA playoffs are different than the NHL in that the NBA playoffs get better as the rounds go on...the first 2 rounds are usually garbage
there's only like 4 or 5 legit teams that can win it all in the playoffs (barring injury)

like as if anyone other than the Clippers and Lakers were gonna meet in the Western Final

I'd agree the first round is pretty much pointless as the only matchup that typically stays close is the 4 vs. 5 games with the occasional surprise.

Second round is usually pretty good though as those 2 vs. 3 seed rounds often have two very good teams playing in them and the 4th place team can occasionally pull an upset like the Heat over the Bucks.

The issue this year in the West is you got Lebron as one of the most clutch playoff performers in history with the 1st seed. And Kawhi may be an even more clutch performer on both sides of the ball playing on the second seed. No one else had a realistic chance.

But the Battle of LA will be an entertaining series for sure.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The West was always pretty clear cut from the beginning, but the East had a glut of teams that had a chance.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Didn't they essentially just give two games a way this series?

Fair enough, but I'd also argue that those two games got away from them over a short period of time in the first half each time and Boston is just too good of a team to make the comeback the Raptors are typically good at completing.

One thing appears to be important with Boston is that you can't let them go on a prolonged run early in a game as they are too good on both ends of the court to pull off the big comebacks.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
NBA playoffs are different than the NHL in that the NBA playoffs get better as the rounds go on...the first 2 rounds are usually garbage
there's only like 4 or 5 legit teams that can win it all in the playoffs (barring injury)

like as if anyone other than the Clippers and Lakers were gonna meet in the Western Final
Mavericks (particularly Luka) did give them a run for their money though. Who knows what would have happened if KP wasn't injured.

Plus you're really going to say that in the year the Bucks almost got swept by the Heat?

Reactions: bone

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Mavericks (particularly Luka) did give them a run for their money though. Who knows what would have happened if KP wasn't injured.

Plus you're really going to say that in the year the Bucks almost got swept by the Heat?
I'm just saying it's rare for an underdog to get far in the NBA
there's hasn't been a team lower than a 4th seed make the Final in decades (#8 Knicks in 1999)

Reactions: bone

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
They really should have won, but lost the games for themselves. Celtics will get wrecked next round though IMO

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
I only watched half the game in chunks and from what I saw there were a lot of bad decisions with the ball, especially from Fred Van Vleet. Not his finest showing. Too bad they're out but they weren't going to win the NBA Championship this year. They overachieved this year.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Siakam was the difference. If he played at his regular season level the series would've been over in 6.

I watched very little and no nothing about basketball but regular season and last year Siakam was a beast.

This playoffs, especially game 6, he was bruuuuutal. I don't think he had a point late in that game despite many many many golden opportunities. He was hot garbage.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I could never follow the NBA religiously as it is very star-based. If you have a Superstar you will most likely go very far in the playoffs. See the last decade or so of NBA Champions. I liked the Raps team this year, probably because they truly played as a team and didn't really rely on one player to carry them. Unfortunately, you won't win anything in the NBA if you don't have that one player who can take over multiple games. See Kawhi, Lebron, Curry, etc

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Feels good to see the Clippers bounced early after the shenanigans they pulled last summer. Would warm my heart to see Kawhi or especially George once again decide the pastures are greener elsewhere and leave them high and dry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad