Ranking the Sabres-Oriented Podcasts (2 Choices)

Which Sabres-Oriented Podcast Do you Appreciate the Most?

• The Instigator Podcast

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Straight Up Sabres

• Locked on Sabres

• Charging Buffalo

• I'll Hang Up and Listen

• The Sabre Roundtable

• Total voters

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Since the season is essentially over, I thought it might be fun to see which podcasts everyone listens to and appreciates the most. It's difficult to create decent content in times like these, so I've been appreciating the ones who try.

I find that each one usually has one guy I really like, and carries most of the podcast. Fairburn and Biron are probably my two favorites as individuals.

Personally, I give extra credit to the ones who go all summer, when I'm desperate -- is "Sabres Live" the only ones who do that? On the other hand, they are literally employed by the team...

michaelsaas

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Beaumont, TX
I voted for the only two I was aware of that aren't Official Mouthpieces (though I love both Biron and Duff). What is the name of the Baker Fairburn podcast?

Thanks for expanding my knowledge of titles, I'll check some of these out for sure!

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I thought the instigator just changed its name to After The Whistle

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I voted for the only two I was aware of that aren't Official Mouthpieces (though I love both Biron and Duff). What is the name of the Baker Fairburn podcast?

Thanks for expanding my knowledge of titles, I'll check some of these out for sure!
I actually watch the Baker-Fairburn one on youtube -- not sure why I got in that habit though. It's called the Baker Fairburn Hockey Show and is definitely worth listening to/watching for Fairburn alone.

Fairburn fills in on one of the Bills Athletics podcasts too, for Joe Buscaglia, and is just as good there. He's the best in Buffalo imo.

I thought the instigator just changed its name to After The Whistle
It's a separate podcast.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
Baker-Fairburn is definitely the best over all, and far and away the best for prospects. I also like Marty and Duffer (Sabres Live). They have to put an optimistic spin on things in general, but they also criticize the team, and they are knowledgeable. I also like that they watch other teams and talk about what's going on in the league, which is unique for Sabres-centric podcasts.

I stopped listening to After the Whistle a long time ago. I've commented extensively about that before and won't bother repeating it here.

I listen to Maintenance Day, but I usually don't make it all the way through the episodes. Something about Joe Yeardon bugs me. I'm not quite sure what it is. He seems like a good guy -- I just don't like listening to him. I like him better in print. They also are pretty sporadic with their casts, and they take a really long time to say simple points.

I rarely listen to xB any more. They get pretty whiney, and I can't understand 30% of what Chad says. It's tiring to listen to. (I have a similar problem with Shayna Goldman, but I solved it by listening to her at .75x, which makes her sound normal.)

I haven't really listened to the other Sabres pods too much. Maybe I'll check them out. My favorite hockey pod overall is probably 32 Thoughts

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Baker-Fairburn is definitely the best over all, and far and away the best for prospects. I also like Marty and Duffer (Sabres Live). They have to put an optimistic spin on things in general, but they also criticize the team, and they are knowledgeable. I also like that they watch other teams and talk about what's going on in the league, which is unique for Sabres-centric podcasts.

I stopped listening to After the Whistle a long time ago. I've commented extensively about that before and won't bother repeating it here.

I listen to Maintenance Day, but I usually don't make it all the way through the episodes. Something about Joe Yeardon bugs me. I'm not quite sure what it is. He seems like a good guy -- I just don't like listening to him. I like him better in print. They also are pretty sporadic with their casts, and they take a really long time to say simple points.

I rarely listen to xB any more. They get pretty whiney, and I can't understand 30% of what Chad says. It's tiring to listen to. (I have a similar problem with Shayna Goldman, but I solved it by listening to her at .75x, which makes her sound normal.)

I haven't really listened to the other Sabres pods too much. Maybe I'll check them out. My favorite hockey pod overall is probably 32 Thoughts
Joe Y seems like such a good guy, that I hesitate to criticize, but I agree that he just isn't a broadcaster, and bumbles around awkwardly a lot. I put him in the Dan Dunleavy pile -- good, smart guys, who are just not cut out to be in front of a mic.

Baker-Fairburn actually don't get into the prospects too much since Baker has a separate show for that. That's part of why I like this show so much...I don't really want to hear updates on prospects who will never play in the NHL.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Only voted for the flagship since that's all I've ever listened to; and even that is only rarely.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Baker (SabresProspects) is #1, for sure.

My perference for 2 is ExpectedBuffalo.

After is just a couple of guys screaming. Lockedon is decent, but too many PHam takes bleed down into it.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I just started listening to Baker/Fairburn, and they do a good balance of a long term Buffalo fan who is friendly with the front office (Baker) and a relative outsider who has a good perspective of someone who covers the team but doesn't have the long term local ties/fan viewpoint.

I used to listen to Expected Buffalo, but their analysis is pretty mediocre, are a bit too fanboy-ish, and rarely have any insider content.

I won't listen to After the Whistle because it's just toxic macho hockey culture stuff. They aren't wrong about everything, but I won't sift through the wanna be Joe Rogan stuff to hear the actual content.

I'd be open to more, but other than "Sabres company radio" (Duff and marty), nothing out there has really caught my attention, though open to suggestions.

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
I went with After The Whistle first since I do listen to them the most. Although I don't agree everything they say, I still very much enjoy the ex players perspective when it comes to the current state of the franchise and current news around the league.

I just started listening to Baker and Fairburn recently and have to say I've enjoyed most the episodes I've listened too. I like that Fairburn (and sometimes Baker) can be very critical on the coaching staff and management. Also love Bakers knowledge of all the prospects.

Maintenance Day is.... eh to me. As someone has already stated theres something about Yerdon that annoys me... Lance can annoying also but Yerdon just rubs me the wrong way.. Like he'll have an opinion about something, Lance would respond with an opposite opinion, then Yerdon would just end up agreeing with Lance.. Both cover the Sabres really well on twitter but I think the both of them together on one podcast can be a dud.

Expected Buffalo is ok at times.. I am not a huge analytic guy so a lot of the stuff they talk about go over my head but I do like to listen because I want to know what Chad is hearing inside the org.

The Sabres Roundtable is actually an entertaining listen IMO. For younger guys they seem very knowledgeable with the sabres history and just hockey in general. They're also a great follow on twitter.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad