ranking the best hockey leagues

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
ice SHL 30/60m ?
In Sweden that is indeed the standard and in principle quite strict, 6000x3000 cm (+/- 0,5 %). Many are in favor of allowing at least 28 meter width which has become the most popular type in some other European top leagues, but it's so far been only an eternal topic for discussions.

Gubbhornet

Dec 5, 2019
1 NHL

2 SHL
3 AHL
4 Liiga
5 KHL

My bet is that KHL is overrated.
1. NHL is so much ahead so it's not worth talking about it.

Since the war started KHL is probably not the top leauge in europe anymore.

Some thoughts:

Goalies: Best in the AHL. Since there are basically NHL-backups or up & coming NHLers.

Offensive players: Best in NLA. Salaries after taxes are highest in the NLA, and the league is tilted on offense. Hence, the stars end up there.

Best All Star team: Probably AHL. It would technically be a team of almost NHLers.

Overall teams: SHL. The league is very balanced in terms of player quality and the top players are usually close to NHL capable. It pays better than liiga so many of good finnish players often end up here.

If you use the CHL as reference for the euro leauges it's probably SHL, Liiga and then NLA. Liiga beats NLA thanks to team balance. I don't remember who said it, but I remember an interview with a top AHL scorer who failed in the SHL who said that he didn't expect the leauge to be so hard and especially the bottom 6ers in the AHL are way less skilled than the bottom 6ers in the SHL.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
1. NHL is so much ahead so it's not worth talking about it.

Since the war started KHL is probably not the top leauge in europe anymore.

Some thoughts:

Goalies: Best in the AHL. Since there are basically NHL-backups or up & coming NHLers.

Offensive players: Best in NLA. Salaries after taxes are highest in the NLA, and the league is tilted on offense. Hence, the stars end up there.

Best All Star team: Probably AHL. It would technically be a team of almost NHLers.

Overall teams: SHL. The league is very balanced in terms of player quality and the top players are usually close to NHL capable. It pays better than liiga so many of good finnish players often end up here.

If you use the CHL as reference for the euro leauges it's probably SHL, Liiga and then NLA. Liiga beats NLA thanks to team balance. I don't remember who said it, but I remember an interview with a top AHL scorer who failed in the SHL who said that he didn't expect the leauge to be so hard and especially the bottom 6ers in the AHL are way less skilled than the bottom 6ers in the SHL.
Correct. SHL is no easy peasy free pass. A lot of top drafted juniors is still playing in SHL, wich I think is a clever move, look at Elias Pettersson. And those top drafted juniors are often not even the best player om their teams. Lucas Raymond was a 4th liner in his team come draftyear.

Ive seen a lot of NA players who didnt hit in NHL, or AHL superstars that failed. You must have good hockeysense or have good fundamentals to be a contributing piece in SHL. Top players in SHL is NHL caliber in a lot of areas except size or skating, and thats why they arent playing there. Passing, stickhandling, defensive play is often WAY better than an AHLer.
If you want to succed in europe you better take your job seriously, or other way you are out quick.

Those who are good snipers in AHL, or net prescence with a translantic style of go to the net is often those who comes with the influences euorpean teams like. Or a offensive gifted defenseman with great skating, passing or shooting.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Well, now that this season is almost ended and with KHL becoming weaker due to many foreigners leaving in mind:

1: NLA
2: KHL
3: Liiga
4: DEL
5: Czech league
6: Slovak League
7: EBEL
8: SHL

Its possible i underate the czech league, it could be on the level of liiga.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
2023 AHL First All-Star Team:

G Dustin Wolf
D Darren Raddysh
D Christian Wolanin
F Matthew Phillips
F Alex Barré-Boulet
F Michael Carcone

It may be a team of "almost" NHLers, but particularly impressive it isn't even by European standards.

Reactions: Whodobbyin

Bijelo

Oct 23, 2022
First Flat
1 NHL
2 KHL
3 AHL
4 SHL
5 Czech Extraliga
6 Liiga
7 National League
8 DEL