Rank these prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
salty justice said:
You are comparing 2 players 2 spots apart to 6 players 30+ spots apart.

Latendresse has a ton of skill and upside, maybe more than the others maybe not. But for 29 other professional scouting teams to pass up on a North American kid almost twice each, there had to have been something they didnt like about him in the combine or on the ice. I agree that my argument is certainly not always true, especially with Europeans, but to say a guy is clear cut above 5 other guys drafted much higher than him so close after the draft is a crazy statement.

Same thing if people think Cogliano is better than Bertram because he was drafted higher. I just focused on the Latendresse situation because the logic behind his assessment, not the assessment itself, is what I disagree with.

I was bracketing my argument with two extremes: a pair of players drafted one after the other, and a pair of players drafted 29 spaces apart.

But let's put it in this perspective, then:
Cogliano (25th overall)
Oshie (24)
Bergfors (23)
McArdle (21)
Bertram (54)

Sure, anyone who says Bertram is a clear cut over the other 4 is crazy, but to say Bertram is overrated because he was drafted 29 spots after the next closest player is crazy as well. I really have no problems if you think Latendresse is overrated. It's the reasoning behind it.

It could be that 29 teams think he's a lousy prospect and Montreal is the only team that likes him. However, I don't think bringing up draft position in this thread is applicable or appropriate. But I guess that's just me.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
montreal said:
We'll see what happens, but Hab fans will hype him to death since he's a local with size and skill. I'm a big fan of his but we'll never hear the end of what a steal he was even though the ink isn't even dry from draft day.

That's for sure. The second I saw they picked him I knew we were all in trouble.

I'd say we all have at least five years of this stuff ahead of us. If he lives up to thier expectations that's fine, but if I have to read posts like the second one in this thread too much over the the next half decade (which I'm sure I will) I may just crack and get myself banned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad