TV: Rank the Star Trek Series

Elvis P

You ain't nothin but a hound dog
Dec 10, 2007
Graceland
spockulations2-400x288.jpg

I started watching in 1968. From the original to Enterprise, how do you feel they rank against each other? They're all on Netflix' instant que if you want to check them out. Here's the List: Star Trek, The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager, Enterprise.

Last edited:

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
I don't remember a series called Nemisis

Ok

1) Star Trek - The original, the episodes in the first couple of seasons were very strong but budget cuts and bad writing crippled the show. The cast that seemed to be so natural in the show absolutely hated each other off the set

2) Star Trek DS9 - A darker more real version of Star Trek where we saw constant war and its effect on Roddenberry's perfect vision. The strongest episode In the Pale Moonlight showed that man was still imperfect.

3) Star trek TNG - I wasn't a big fan of it, especially in the later years when it became the Picard and Data show with the rest of the characters just pushing buttons. It was too clean and optimistic for me, and Wesley needed a painful Klingon Execution.

4) Enterprise - Wasn't great but had its moment, the Mirror Episodes tho were incredibly strong. I always thought that this series should have been man's constantly getting kicked in the butt because they were so new to space.

5) Voyager - Just a horrible show, it didn't work, and it completely wrecked the Borg. This show took the TNG approach to techno babble and modifying the shield array in every episode and put it completely over the top. I was hoping it would end within sight of earth when Voyager was sucked into the sun.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Deep Space 9 was my favorite followed closely by TNG

I grew up with both

Could never get into TOS , Voyager was a pale imitation of TNG but had some good episodes thru its run and was entertaining enough

I despised Enterprise

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
DS9
Seasons 3-7 TNG (with a couple of S1-2 episodes)
TOS
Seasons 1-2 TNG (except for a couple of episodes)
The last couple seasons of Enterprise
Voyager
Early Enterprise.

I know it's a cheat, but the first couple of TNG seasons were terribad. It wasn't until Season 3 that they really hit their stride and were excellent for long stretches. The early junk just feels so hokey and different in a way that is on par with the bad parts of TOS. And the last couple of Enterprise seasons were much improved on the first couple of seasons with their clunky, awful stories and ham-fisted fanservice.

I won't say more. I've already gone on at length about my feelings on various aspects of the franchise in other Star Trek threads.

serge2k

Sep 16, 2006
DS9
Seasons 3-7 TNG (with a couple of S1-2 episodes)
TOS
Seasons 1-2 TNG (except for a couple of episodes)
The last couple seasons of Enterprise
Voyager
Early Enterprise.

I know it's a cheat, but the first couple of TNG seasons were terribad. It wasn't until Season 3 that they really hit their stride and were excellent for long stretches. The early junk just feels so hokey and different in a way that is on par with the bad parts of TOS. And the last couple of Enterprise seasons were much improved on the first couple of seasons with their clunky, awful stories and ham-fisted fanservice.

I won't say more. I've already gone on at length about my feelings on various aspects of the franchise in other Star Trek threads.
This correct, but DS9 season 1 pretty much sucked and Season 2 was dependent on whether or not you liked bajoran politics (I DO).

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
TOS-TNG-DS9-Voy-Ent

I'm just going with the order that they appeared. TNG is my favorite TV show ever and what got me hooked on Trek before I discovered the original series, but I wouldn't have had it without the equally awesome original series, so I don't mind putting the original first. I love both. Trek started going downhill after TNG ended, IMO. It wasn't a rapid descent, since DS9 was very good and I enjoyed it, but it sped up with Voyager. Truth be told, I haven't seen enough of Voyager and Enterprise (particularly Enterprise) to accurately rank the two relative to one another, so I'm taking a guess with those two and could flip them if I were to watch more.

Last edited:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I remember DS( and Voyager as being well-done but a little dull. Maybe it was just ST overkill for me at the time. Never watched Enterprise. The only ones I'll watch now are TOS and TNG. I'd put NextGen at the top of my list.

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
I've always wanted to know where Babylon 5 would fit on the scale. I know it isn't Star Trek, but it's right smack dab in line with DS9 for me. Anyways:

TNG
DS9
TOS
Enterprise (recently rewatched it, much better than when I first did)
Voyager

NewtJorden

Unitas est Invicta
Aug 9, 2006
Rimouski
1. The Original Series
2. Deep Space 9
3. The Next Generation
4. The Animated Series
5. Voyager
6. Enterprise

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
1.DS9
2.TNG
3.TOS
4.Enterprise
5.Voyager (most rank Enterprise last but I at least enjoyed the last season of Enterprise hate Voyager)

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
DS9 in a clear cut victory

TNG

TOS

VOY

ENT

I've always wanted to know where Babylon 5 would fit on the scale. I know it isn't Star Trek, but it's right smack dab in line with DS9 for me

Same tier as DS9, maybe a hair below. These are the two best sci fi shows IMO.

spiny norman

Administrator
Apr 1, 2006
Winnipeg, MB
In order:

Star Trek

Star Trek: TNG

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Star Trek: Voyager

Star Trek: Enterprise

Though I must say, I'm no fan of the recent films.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I'm going to cheat a little bit here and divide the series at any point where I think there was a drastic shift in style or quality, because it's pretty much a pattern with Star Trek.

TNG Seasons 3-7
DS9 Seasons 2-7
TOS Seasons 1-2
Voyager Seasons 4-7
TOS Season 3
DS9 Season 1
Enterprise Seasons 3-4
Voyager Seasons 1-3
TNG Seasons 1-2
Enterprise Seasons 1-2

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
1) DS9
A creative and we'll written drama that only got better as it went on.
Featured the most fleshed out characters of any of the Trek series by a lightyear. The villains particularly stand out, they are all very grey, and one could easily understand why they were doing what they were doing, and perhaps even sympathize.

2) TNG

3) TOS

4) TAS

5) Enterprise

6) Voyager
Contrived piece of crap that threw out good character development, plots, and enemies for pandering to the lowest common denominator.

Afino

The Juice
Dec 2, 2003
Orchard Park, NY
you definitely have to split some of these out

VOY 1-3
VOY 4-7 (because let's be honest, the show was better with The Doctor and Seven)
TNG 1-2
TNG 3-7
DS9 1-2 (zzzzzzzzzz)
DS9 3-7
ENT 1-2 (barf)
ENT 3 (vey divisive)
ENT 4
TOS probably can be taken as a whole

stark differences in all of those, I'll put ENT season 4 up against the best of anything else, I don't care

Afino

The Juice
Dec 2, 2003
Orchard Park, NY
I'm going to cheat a little bit here and divide the series at any point where I think there was a drastic shift in style or quality, because it's pretty much a pattern with Star Trek.

TNG Seasons 3-7
DS9 Seasons 2-7
TOS Seasons 1-2
Voyager Seasons 4-7
TOS Season 3
DS9 Season 1
Enterprise Seasons 3-4
Voyager Seasons 1-3
TNG Seasons 1-2
Enterprise Seasons 1-2

Oh, you already did this kind of.

Yeah, I'm glad you put VOY 4-7 that high, it's worth it. And ENT 1-2 is definitely bottom.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Oh, you already did this kind of.

Yeah, I'm glad you put VOY 4-7 that high, it's worth it. And ENT 1-2 is definitely bottom.

Definitely. There are enough shifts within seasons to warrant splitting them in my opinion. Prime example is the difference between TNG 1-2 and TNG 3-7. It's hardly the same show.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad