Rank the Post-lockout NYR Offseasons

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Thought this might be a semi-interesting time-killer. Years in the poll are for that summer, i.e. 2007 is the summer of 2007.

If anyone cares enough to post major happenings for each summer, including personnel changes, coaches, etc., that would be neat.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
This offseason was pretty slick at all levels of the organization.

I wasn't following the team long enough for about half of the years listed, so :dunno: about them.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
2009 without a shadow of a doubt.

Drafted Kreider. Traded Gomez for McDonagh. Signed Gaborik (who was then flipped for Brassard who was then flipped for Zibanejad). Gaborik was also arguably our most successful UFA signing post-Gretzky.

iamthewalrus

Aug 1, 2010
Connecticut
In Lieu of voting for an offseason that we haven't seen the results of yet (2016, which looks like it should turn out to be a great offseason), I voted 2009.

Through Trades:
Acquired Brian Boyle
Acquired Ryan Mcdonagh
Dropped Scott Gomez' contract
Acquired Olli Jokinen (didn't do much for us, but still a great player in the past)
Acquired Brandon Prust

Signed Marian Gaborik
Signed Cam Talbot
Signed Matt Gilroy (reaching on this)
Signed Vinny Prospal

Claimed Erik Christensen off waivers (kind of reaching with this one as well)

Drafted Chris Kreider

We also signed Del Zotto, Brian Boyle, Callahan, and Dubinsky to decent contracts all around

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
In Lieu of voting for an offseason that we haven't seen the results of yet (2016, which looks like it should turn out to be a great offseason), I voted 2009.

Through Trades:
Acquired Brian Boyle
Acquired Ryan Mcdonagh
Acquired Olli Jokinen (didn't do much for us, but still a great player in the past)
Acquired Brandon Prust

Signed Marian Gaborik
Signed Cam Talbot
Signed Vinny Prospal

Drafted Chris Kreider

We also signed Del Zotto, Brian Boyle, Callahan, and Dubinsky to decent contracts all around

I don't think thats a reach at all, he was our #1 center for a time. Regardless of the fact that he was in no way good enough to be a 1c, we literally picked him up off the scrap heap. IMO still a big net positive

iamthewalrus

Aug 1, 2010
Connecticut
I don't think thats a reach at all, he was our #1 center for a time. Regardless of the fact that he was in no way good enough to be a 1c, we literally picked him up off the scrap heap. IMO still a big net positive

True.

It also just occurred to me that it didn't happen in the offseason, so I kind of broke the rules :laugh: oh well

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC

Through Trades:
Acquired Brian Boyle
Acquired Ryan Mcdonagh
Acquired Brandon Prust

Signed Marian Gaborik
Signed Cam Talbot
Signed Vinny Prospal

Drafted Chris Kreider

Going this in depth makes it look even more our best offseason.

Boyle and Talbot were key players for us. So was Prust, he was a huge part in developing the "toughest team to play against" staple of Rangers hockey.

TurgePurge*

If Jokinen was an offseason addition then who missed the shootout attempt in game 82 and who made one of the three worst decisions I've ever seen a hockey player make along side Kreider in game 7 2013 and Mcilrath in his first callup.

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
If Jokinen was an offseason addition then who missed the shootout attempt in game 82 and who made one of the three worst decisions I've ever seen a hockey player make along side Kreider in game 7 2013 and Mcilrath in his first callup.

If Kreider made such a bad decision in Game 7 2013 then why did we win 5-0 in the only Game 7 of 2013?

Don't mean to be rude here, welcome to the boards. Just note that it's not wise to point out small inaccuracies in other posts when you don't have your own facts straight.

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens

Through Trades:
Acquired Brian Boyle
Acquired Ryan Mcdonagh
Acquired Brandon Prust

Signed Marian Gaborik
Signed Cam Talbot
Signed Vinny Prospal

Drafted Chris Kreider

I agree with 2009. All around good moves aside from trading Korpedo for Lisin :laugh: This year (2016) might be 2nd for me, would have to think about it a bit more.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I agree with 2009. All around good moves aside from trading Korpedo for Lisin :laugh: This year (2016) might be 2nd for me, would have to think about it a bit more.

It was a gamble, but let's not pretend Korpikoski was some stud. It's like the Coyotes trading Lindberg for Werek. It's a gamble, but it's not like they gave up a sure-fire top-line player.

TurgePurge*

If Kreider made such a bad decision in Game 7 2013 then why did we win 5-0 in the only Game 7 of 2013?

Don't mean to be rude here, welcome to the boards. Just note that it's not wise to point out small inaccuracies in other posts when you don't have your own facts straight.

I'm not results oriented. Just because Asham scored 5 seconds later doesnt mean that Kreider didnt get the wires crossed in his skull.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
2009 by a mile IMO

That team was kind of hopeless with no direction and like 5 good pieces. This one had a lot of good pieces with many different directions to go in. 2009 was making something from nothing.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

Through Trades:
Acquired Brian Boyle
Acquired Ryan Mcdonagh
Acquired Brandon Prust

Signed Marian Gaborik
Signed Cam Talbot
Signed Vinny Prospal

Drafted Chris Kreider

Prust was a late season trade if I recall correctly not an off-season acquisition.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
How about the worst ones too?

2008 - Letting Jagr walk, signing Redden, Rozsival extension (I thought it was a pretty penny for what he brought), wasting their money on Voros and Rissmiller, signing Naslund (not horrible but they got bailed out by him retiring and leaving the last year on the table), trading Tyutin for Zherdev which wound up being bad in hindsight.

2014 - Letting Stralman walk and signing Dan Boyle, signing Tanner Glass, letting Brian Boyle walk (probably couldn't afford to keep him and not sold he wanted to come back but it looks bad when you give Glass $1.45 million)

2014 did bring the signing of Hayes. I'd say 2008 was probably the worst because the entire shape of the team changed for the worse (Jagr + Straka + Shanahan leading the team along with a guy like Avery on the team changing into the team being led by Redden + Drury + Gomez + Naslund). Thankfully the 2009 offseason really swung things the other way.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY

Through Trades:
Acquired Brian Boyle
Acquired Ryan Mcdonagh
Acquired Brandon Prust

Signed Marian Gaborik
Signed Cam Talbot
Signed Vinny Prospal

Drafted Chris Kreider

Didn't we get Jokinen and Prust at the deadline?

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
2008 - Letting Jagr walk, signing Redden, Rozsival extension (I thought it was a pretty penny for what he brought), wasting their money on Voros and Rissmiller, signing Naslund (not horrible but they got bailed out by him retiring and leaving the last year on the table), trading Tyutin for Zherdev which wound up being bad in hindsight.

2014 - Letting Stralman walk and signing Dan Boyle, signing Tanner Glass, letting Brian Boyle walk (probably couldn't afford to keep him and not sold he wanted to come back but it looks bad when you give Glass $1.45 million)

2014 did bring the signing of Hayes. I'd say 2008 was probably the worst because the entire shape of the team changed for the worse (Jagr + Straka + Shanahan leading the team along with a guy like Avery on the team changing into the team being led by Redden + Drury + Gomez + Naslund). Thankfully the 2009 offseason really swung things the other way.

Good post. But re Brian Boyle he left moreso than the Rangers let him walk. He demanded a third line role and the Rangers didn't want to slot him there. Then when Tampa called, they offered him the minutes and the opportunity to settle close to his in-laws.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I'm not sure any of the last 2 and maybe 3 offseasons should be included in the poll.

Seems a consensus that 2009 was the best, but it was followed up by the worst season the Rangers have had since the lockout as well. You don't need any more evidence why I don't think the most recent ones should be included in this poll.

By the way, I think the 2005 offseason shouldn't be underrated here.

UFA signings: Martin Straka, Martin Rucinsky, Michal Rozsival, Marek Malik, Jason Ward, Ville Nieminen
Trade acquistions: Steve Rucchin (for Trevor Gillies), Marcel Hossa (for Garth Murray)
Prospect signings: Henrik Lundqvist, Petr Prucha, Dan Girardi (AHL deal)
Draft Picks: Marc Staal, Mike Sauer

Last edited:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
UFA Signings: Matt Cullen, Brendan Shanahan, Steve Valiquette, Aaron Ward
Trade Acquisitions: Adam Hall (for Dominic Moore)
Return from Europe: Karel Rachunek
Draft Picks: Bobby Sanguinetti, Artem Anisimov

UFA Signings: Chris Drury, Scott Gomez
Draft Picks: Cherepanov, Hagelin

UFA Signings: Dmitri Kalinin, Markus Naslund, Wade Redden, Patrick Rissmiller, Aaron Voros
Trade Acquisitions: Nikolai Zherdev/Dan Fritsche (for Tyutin and Backman)
Draft Picks: Michael Del Zotto, Derek Stepan, Dale Weise

Last edited:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
UFA Signings: Martin Biron, Derek Boogaard, Ruslan Fedotenko, Alex Frolov
Trade Acquisitions: Steve Eminger (for Voros), Todd White (for Brashear, Rissmiller)
Prospect Signings: Mats Zuccarello, Ryan McDonagh, Derek Stepan
Draft Picks: Dylan McIlrath, Jesper Fast

UFA Signings: Brendan Bell, Andre Deveaux, Brad Richards, Mike Rupp
Trade Acquisitions: Tim Erixon (for picks)
Waivers: Jeff Woywitka
Draft Picks: JT Miller, Steven Fogarty
**Notable: Anton Stralman signed in November, 2011

UFA Signings: Arron Asham, Michael Haley, Jeff Halpern, Taylor Pyatt, Brandon Segal
Trade Acquisitions: Benn Ferriero (for Kolarik), Brandon Mashinter (for Tommy Grant), Rick Nash (for Dubinsky, Anisimov, Erixon, 1st)
Draft Picks: Brady Skjei, Boo Nieves

UFA Signings: Dominic Moore, Benoit Pouliot
Trade Acquistions: Justin Falk (Ferriero)
Draft Picks: Buchnevich, Duclair, Graves?, Tambellini?, Skapski?
*** Tortorella Fired, AV Hired

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad