OT: Rank Maple Leafs Top 10 prospect pre-draft

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
What happened to Finn? He's barely on any of these lists. Has he regressed that much?

Finn, spent a lot of time in the ECHL, most of the year really, something I never heard until this year is that he has speed issues plus other issues. The TO scouts were absolutely stoked he was available in the 2nd, they were so stoked they made us stoked.

I listened to Dubas on the POD cast from another thread, he was stating that the Marlies made the playoffs because of the efforts of Nylander and Brown but the biggest reason was the play of Frattin, didn't want to hear that Frattin was the driving force,, I was hoping the emphasis would have been on Nylander, Brown, Percy or any of the Leaf young hopefuls.

Nylander
Percy
Johnsoon
Brownn
Loov
Valiev
Bibeau
Carrick
Gauthier
Leipsic

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
1. William Nylander - Elite Player
2. Stuart Percy - Top 4 D-man
3. Connor Brown - Top 6 Forward
4. Brandon Leipsic - Top 9 Forward
5. Rinat Valiev - Bottom 4 Defense
6. Andreas Johnson - Top 9 Forward
7. Carter Verhaeghe - Top 9 Forward
8. Viktor Loov - Bottom 4 Defense
9. Joshua Leivo - Top 9 Forward
10. Ryan Rupert - Bottom 6 Forward

Note: Sam Carrick has graduated IMO

Last edited:

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Not to be a negative nancy, but is this list not slightly underwhelming to anyone? Mostly wingers and bottom pairing d-men.

I realize that we're realistically in year 1 of the latest rebuild but for a decade of mediocrity it hardly seems like a formidable group.

I'm looking forward to this thread 2-3 years from now.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
1. Nylander
2. Brown
3. Percy
4. Leivo
5. Gauthier
6. Finn
7. Johnson
8. Loov
9. Verhaeghe
10. Leipsic

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Where is Nikita Soshniko? Speedy, amazing hands and the type that can thrive in traffic particularly in front of the net. He's remind me a lot like Gaborik especially we continues on with his development.

I am also seeing an absence of Casey Bailey as well. He's a power forward with good skating ability ( thanks his lower body strength), strong on the puck, active in the neutral zone and already possesses an NHL-level shot. Since I am not a fan of prospect rankings, I don't know to place him. However, there's a decent chance that he'll end up having a top six career due to his skill set.

InShannyWeTrust

Bring on the trades!
Aug 6, 2009
1-Nylander
2-Brown
3-Percy
4-Leipsic
5-Gauthier
6-Verhaeghe
7-Leivo
8-Loov
9- Johnson
10-Finn

I'm high on Granberg but I figure he's graduated

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Hard to rate bailey and soshnikov tbh
Such limited viewing imo

As for our prospect pool being bad well to be fair reilly already graduated and we have a few knocking on the door step
Nylander could prolly make the team next year and if our 2015 pick makes the big club as well, our pool seems even worse
It's not so much as our pool is bad it's more average and we have players coming up

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Not to be a negative nancy, but is this list not slightly underwhelming to anyone? Mostly wingers and bottom pairing d-men.

I realize that we're realistically in year 1 of the latest rebuild but for a decade of mediocrity it hardly seems like a formidable group.

I'm looking forward to this thread 2-3 years from now.

I honestly don't think it's THAT bad. There are a couple of real gems and to be completely honest, that's probably all we can expect from a group of say 30 prospects. I know for a fact that I was wrong about Brad Ross and it's turning out that I may have been wrong about Matt Finn too but if we can get a handful of these guys to be NHLers, we've done pretty well. We as fans also have to remember that our team loved to trade away picks every year for many years. Patience is the key and as you said, 2-3 years from now, we'll have a nicer list to show, hopefully.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Where is Nikita Soshniko? Speedy, amazing hands and the type that can thrive in traffic particularly in front of the net. He's remind me a lot like Gaborik especially we continues on with his development.

I am also seeing an absence of Casey Bailey as well. He's a power forward with good skating ability ( thanks his lower body strength), strong on the puck, active in the neutral zone and already possesses an NHL-level shot. Since I am not a fan of prospect rankings, I don't know to place him. However, there's a decent chance that he'll end up having a top six career due to his skill set.

You might be a tad optimistic if you think Soshnikov is a Gaborik..

torleaffan

May 5, 2014
I think people are really overrating Percy. It's not a given that he will be an NHL regular.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I think people are really overrating Percy. It's not a given that he will be an NHL regular.

His first couple of games with the Leafs at the start of the year were great, thought he'd stay with the Leafs all year as a top 4 dman. He had a week where he had some bad games and people were returning from injury and he was sent down. Didn't have the greatest year in the Marlies but like some people say, some players play better in the NHL cause of the structure and pace of the game. I have no doubt in my mind that Percy will be back in the NHL maybe as soon as next year.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
1. Nylander
2. Brown
3. Johnson
4. Leipsic
5. Loov
6. Percy
7. Leivo
8. Gauthier
9. Toninato
10. Finn

Last edited:

Bigblue

Sep 20, 2009
1. Nylander
2. Brown
3. Johnson
4. Leipsic
5. Loov
6. Percy
7. Leivo
8. Gauthier
9. Toninato
10. Finn

I have a bit of a different list Super.

1. Nylander
2. Brown
3. Gauthier
4. Leivo
5. Leipsic
6. Loov
7. Percy
8. Froese
9. Johnson
10. Finn

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
1.) William Nylander
2.) Connor Brown
3.) Antoine Bibeau
4.) Victor Loov
5.) Stuart Percy
6.) Josh Leivo
7.) Christopher Gibson
8.) Andreas Johnson
9.) Brendan Leipsic
10.) Frederik Gauthier
11.) Garret Sparks
12.) Peter Granberg
13.) matt Finn
14.) Rinat Valiev
15.) Carter Verhaghe

Older guys like Carrick and Mckegg i still think can have NHL futures, potentials just not as high as these 15.

Guys like Nillson, Biggs, the ruperts, Toninato could all very easily have NHL futures as well.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I honestly don't think it's THAT bad. There are a couple of real gems and to be completely honest, that's probably all we can expect from a group of say 30 prospects. I know for a fact that I was wrong about Brad Ross and it's turning out that I may have been wrong about Matt Finn too but if we can get a handful of these guys to be NHLers, we've done pretty well. We as fans also have to remember that our team loved to trade away picks every year for many years. Patience is the key and as you said, 2-3 years from now, we'll have a nicer list to show, hopefully.

That's what I was illuding to. There is a noticeable lack of second round picks in this list. Not to mention a couple of possible misses in the mid-late first round and early second.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Ryan Rupert anyone ? 27 points in 57 games in his rookie season for a guy not known for hos offense is pretty good. I'd bet he will have a better career than Frederik Gauthier

Beleafer4

Apr 4, 2010
Top 10
Nylander
Percy
Brown
Leipsic
Loov
Carrick
Leivo
Johnson
Verhaeghe