Speculation: Rangers want Jumbo (and Sharks to retain $$)

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Depending on what they give up I could see this happening. The return would have to be great though at their point in the season

corbanSOG

Registered Loser
Apr 27, 2003
I could see Joe being willing to waive his NMC if the Sharks are out of contention at the TDL, but I don't know that the Rangers are the best trade partner. Any thoughts as to what the Sharks may be able to get in return for him? I'd think at least a mid-low first and decent prospect.

StanleyCup2035

Oct 1, 2017
Signing Thornton to $8M a year is going to diminish the return we get. Still worth it with retention if we can get a 1st + good prospect back. I sure hope he gets to hoist the Cup, it's a shame it will not be with the Sharks.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Hell no. If we absolutely have to trade Thornton I want him to go to a legit contender. Not the rangers

While I would love to see him win a Cup, I’d rather not see him with the usual crop of contenders. And the Rangers aren’t even close to a contender even with Thornton.

Nashville would be an interesting fit in my opinion. Bonino is currently their second center.

wishman

Jan 20, 2007
While I would love to see him win a Cup, I’d rather not see him with the usual crop of contenders. And the Rangers aren’t even close to a contender even with Thornton.

Nashville would be an interesting fit in my opinion. Bonino is currently their second center.

I would like to see Jumbo in Toronto with Patty. Put Jumbo in Bozak's place with Marner and JVR. Toronto wouldn't need any defense with their top 3 lines!

StanleyCup2035

Oct 1, 2017
I would hope Thornton gets traded, it would be a shame for him to retire without Cups. He deserves another shot or two and he won't get it here. And Sharks need to get some prospects and picks. I don't think it's to the Rangers, though...

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Some of the replies are getting creepy. JT is an adult and can take care of his own decisions. No need to act like we're his parents.

With that said, I cannot see a JT trade as too many of the possibilities would make DW look bad for signing him this past off-season.

I can only see these possibilities:

1- Trade TL, retain a significant amount of salary for something of value back in return.
2- Trade TL, retain a smaller portion of his salary for basically nothing in return.
3- Exchange TL for another team's overpaid problem.

All three of these will generate discussion on why sign him in the first place. Something probably DW wants to avoid.

The other thing is, JT has to make it to the TDL without injuries, but healthy.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
Some of the replies are getting creepy. JT is an adult and can take care of his own decisions. No need to act like we're his parents.

With that said, I cannot see a JT trade as too many of the possibilities would make DW look bad for signing him this past off-season.

1- Trade TL, retain a significant amount of salary for something of value back in return.
2- Trade TL, retain a smaller portion of his salary for basically nothing in return.

All three of these will generate discussion on why sign him in the first place. Something probably DW wants to avoid.

Not sure I understand this post at all. I haven't seen anything from anyone here that warrants being labeled as "creepy". No one here is replying with the intention that Jumbo will read this as advice. People are simply saying they'd like to see him win a cup.

I don't think any trade would make DW look bad for signing him. Jumbo is still a beast despite getting old and probably our best forward on most nights. Yes $8mm is a lot but he was also underpaid for the past 6-10 years so I don't have a problem overpaying him on a 1 yr deal. Signing him prevented us from losing him for nothing. Trading him during the season wouldn't make DW look bad at all. These types of things happen all the time, and if anything holding on to an aging vet while your team has very little chance of winning a cup would look worse for DW unless Jumbo basically tells him, "I want to stay here".

Even at this age on an expiring contract I think Jumbo would bring in a solid return for the Sharks. I'd ask Jumbo which teams he's willing to go to and start working on a deal around January if we aren't looking positive for a playoff spot. Get a first rounder and a prospect and root for Jumbo to win wherever he goes. Retain salary if necessary as we have plenty of space and it's for this season only.

Reactions: StanleyCup2035

Internazionale

Apr 24, 2007
Airdrie, AB
The return would be minimal, and we would have to retain a bunch of salary. I'd just keep him for the entire year and let him go off into the sunset come summer.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The return would be minimal, and we would have to retain a bunch of salary. I'd just keep him for the entire year and let him go off into the sunset come summer.

The return is only going to be minimal if he only wants to go to one team. It's possible but I have my doubts. If Thornton wants to win a Cup, he's not going to limit himself to just one team because multiple teams have good shots at the Cup. In that situation, the return is not going to be minimal.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

Just to the last part, he has done it pretty much for the past 14 years. So i can see him still being healthy come february.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Just to the last part, he has done it pretty much for the past 14 years. So i can see him still being healthy come february.

I don't think JT would have passed a physical on a TDL trade last year. No reason in my mind to think it's automatic this year as a 38 year-old pro.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I don't think JT would have passed a physical on a TDL trade last year. No reason in my mind to think it's automatic this year as a 38 year-old pro.

Um...what? He literally played on trade deadline day so how the hell do you think he wouldn't have passed a physical? He didn't get hurt until April 2nd.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

Why because he is old? If thornton could not pass a physical last year at the deadline then no player in the league would be able to pass one.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I'd like to see him go to Nashville. I really like that team. They have great fans. They're a legit contender. They already have my favourite player - just another reason to hope they win the cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad