Pre-Game Talk: Rangers vs. Stars

Status
Not open for further replies.

KreiMeARiver*

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/stars-rangers-preview-062250478--nhl.html

Stars-Rangers Preview
By NICOLINO DIBENEDETTO (STATS Writer) 8 hours ago AP - Sports

A victory over the reigning Stanley Cup champions is one reason why the New York Rangers feel they're finally improving under first-year coach Alain Vigneault.
Related Stories

Maple Leafs-Rangers Preview The Associated Press
Wild-Rangers Preview The Associated Press
Rangers use big 2nd period to beat Wild 4-1 The Associated Press
Rangers-Penguins Preview The Associated Press
Rangers rally to defeat Wild The SportsXchange

Showing some consistency at Madison Square Garden would give them another.

The Rangers, coming off a stretch in which they played six of seven on the road, look to hand the Dallas Stars a fifth straight loss Friday as they open a four-game homestand.

New York (22-20-3) is coming off one its strongest games this season in a 3-2 victory at Chicago on Wednesday. The win improved the Rangers to 6-2-1 in their last nine overall.

"I think we've been playing a lot better as of late," said left wing Carl Hagelin, who scored the winner with 5:57 left. "This is the way we want to play. We need to come out flying. This is what we want to do - beat the good teams.

"Lately, we have a lot of confidence and try not to get too frustrated. Some games the puck goes in and other days it doesn't. But I think when you're creating chances you stay positive."
Fri, Jan 10
Dallas 7:00 PM EST FSSW+,MSG
NY Rangers

Creating chances hasn't been a problem away from home lately for the Rangers, who have 18 goals in winning four of five. New York hasn't been nearly as successful at MSG, though, going 4-8-3 there since earning four victories in its first six at home.

Henrik Lundqvist hasn't helped, going 1-7-3 with a 3.18 goals-against average in his past 11 on home ice. However, he may find himself in net again after he was superb against the Blackhawks with 35 saves - eight coming after Hagelin's decisive goal. He also got on the score sheet with an assist on a first-period tally by Mats Zuccarello.

Lundqvist has a 1.72 GAA while winning three of his last four against the Stars, including a 41-save performance in a 3-2 road win at Dallas on Nov. 21.

Brad Richards doesn't have a point in two games against the Stars since leaving them for the Rangers via free agency in 2011. He's entering this matchup with two goals and two assists in three games, getting one of each Wednesday.

The center is tied with Zuccarello for the team lead with 11 goals and 20 assists. However, Richards has scored just twice at home this season, and hasn't found the net in nine straight contests.
Picks & Odds

Dal
56%

NYR
44%

DAL
+138
NYR

Zuccarello has been held without a point in two career meetings with Dallas, while Chris Kreider had a goal Nov. 21.

Kreider has been much better at home than on the road. The left wing has seven goals and 11 assists at the Garden compared to four and two, respectively, in away games.

The Stars, facing their first five-game skid since the end of last season, are concluding a three-game Metropolitan Area trip. They lost 1-0 at New Jersey on Thursday after a 7-3 rout at the New York Islanders on Monday.

"We need to keep working," said Kari Lehtonen, who had 34 saves after allowing all seven goals against the Islanders. "During a season, there are tough times and really good times. Our job is to cut this as short as possible and start playing well again."

Center Tyler Seguin, who leads Dallas with 21 goals and 41 points, hasn't managed a point in three straight games. He came up empty on a team-high six shots Thursday.

"I am pretty much a guy who needs to produce. I'm not satisfied," Seguin said. "We are wanting to win, but we are not hating to lose."

Seguin has no points in four straight regular-season meetings with the Rangers.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Dallas are a really good team that has been faltering a bit lately. They live off of their top line, so if we can shut that down we should be golden.

I'd like to see some 5v5 scoring though, we can't live and die by our PP (what an absurd statement, considering the PP of the past few years).

Blue Blooded

Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Pat Leonard ‏@PLeonardNYDN 25m

#NYR line rushes appear to have Kreider out of lineup? Poul-Rich-Zucc, Brass-Step-Nash, Hag-DMoore-Call, Boyle-Mill-Carcil. We'll see

Lines seem to have been pulled from a hat.
Pat Leonard ‏@PLeonardNYDN 1m

Lundqvist in goal

Blue Blooded

Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Kreider traded. :sarcasm:

Everybody panic! :scared:

But in all seriousness those lines look awful. I propose:

Hagelin-Stepan-Nash
Zuccarello-Richards-Callahan
Brassard-Miller-Pouliot
Boyle-Moore-Carcillo

Dorsett can't return fast enough though, Carbomb dosn't cut it.

Blue Blooded

Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Lines seem to have been pulled from a hat.

Everybody panic! :scared:

But in all seriousness those lines look awful. I propose:

Hagelin-Stepan-Nash
Zuccarello-Richards-Callahan
Brassard-Miller-Pouliot
Boyle-Moore-Carcillo

Dorsett can't return fast enough though, Carbomb dosn't cut it.

Probably banged up.

Steve Zipay ‏@stevezipay 11m

Looks like Carcillo in again; Miller scratched

OK, so Kredier is likely in and those weird lines likely won't see the ice.

Still, Carcillo in over Miller yet again? WTF is AV thinking? 4th line can't take a regular shift with Carcillo, they absolutely could with Miller.

Punxrocknyc19*

Still, Carcillo in over Miller yet again? WTF is AV thinking? 4th line can't take a regular shift with Carcillo, they absolutely could with Miller.

i wonder if Miller can demand to be sent to the minors. :shakehead at least he would be playing... being a scratch is really helping his game :rant:

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia

hes thinking with Dorsett out that they need toughness. They dealt for Carcillo to play him. Miller is looing better but if hes going to sit then he needs to go down to CT to play a lot. Powe or Asham can sit in the press box they are paying them NHL money anyway. Then if anyone important gets hurt call Miller back up

BarbaraAlphanse

hes thinking with Dorsett out that they need toughness. They dealt for Carcillo to play him. Miller is looing better but if hes going to sit then he needs to go down to CT to play a lot. Powe or Asham can sit in the press box they are paying them NHL money anyway. Then if anyone important gets hurt call Miller back up

Have Miller down there working with Kristo. Both can come up together.

Miller can't be a 4th liner on this team. 3rd is ideal. No spot, as of now.

Ideally, I'd rather not have Powe or Asham up. I'd love Haley but he's still injured. I read somewhere on here it's for months. He's a great energy player. Him and Kreider have a good relationship. Hope we see him up after the Olympics.

We should see Dorsett come back some time after the Olympics.

BeDe003

Nov 9, 2013
NY
Their game last night was probably one of the most boring games I've ever watched. But I blame that more on the Devils.

Bullseyes

Aug 16, 2013
No excuses. At home, Dallas coming off a game from last night + not playing well. Need a win.

Dallas was playing well a few weeks ago and have lost 4 straight. They had a 2-0 lead on the Islanders and got blown out. Weird team to figure out.

Dallas' defense is not good.

Punxrocknyc19*

Have Miller down there working with Kristo. Both can come up together.

Miller can't be a 4th liner on this team. 3rd is ideal. No spot, as of now.

Ideally, I'd rather not have Powe or Asham up. I'd love Haley but he's still injured. I read somewhere on here it's for months. He's a great energy player. Him and Kreider have a good relationship. Hope we see him up after the Olympics.

We should see Dorsett come back some time after the Olympics.

Haley just came back a few games ago.. i always would hope he would be back up here. he did his job here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad