Eklund Rumor: Rangers to trade for Shattenkirk?

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
its shocking to me that people think they can acquire Shattenkirk for pretty much nothing. This is turning into a bizzare thread

It's nothing new, to the Shattenkirk situation or countless others on the website. Yet we always see guys in this circumstance get solid returns. As a Blues fan I'm still super worried, just because Armstrong has really botched a lot of trades lately and seems to never pull the trigger at the right time and ends up getting screwed over

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Retention is never equal. Part of the reason why Arizona wanted to retain was to keep cap themselves. I've never viewed retention as holding much value, especially in rentals. The value is just to make the cap work in most cases.

It was also 1.25 seasons+1 extra playoff run. 1.25 seasons+2 playoffs vs 1 season+1 playoff. The price was 1st+2nd+Duclair+Moore(roster replacement). You also got Summers and a 4th.

Lucic who was traded in the same situation went for 1st+decent/solid NHL ready prospect+young roster player (equivalent to a 1st).

You could also use the Burns to San Jose deal, Burns+2nd for Setoguchi+Coyle+1st.

There are lot of comps for similar level of players being traded with 1 year left on the deal.

Summers and a 4th are irrelevant. Especially Summers. You are a lottery team if he is a regular on your defense. I can't believe I forgot about John Moore being a part of that deal.

Retention absolutely adds value. Especially when it is the Coyotes paying for it. You and I can agree to disagree here.

Guess we have to wait and see how this all turns out. I would really hope that if the price for Shattenkirk is that high that we have nothing to do with it. Other teams can afford to do that. We cannot.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Blues wont be trading Shattenkirk unless there is an extension in place. Army would be out of his mind trading him away without that extension cause the return would be significantly smaller. He knows what hes doing.... he will maximize this and end up getting a huge return

Or Shattenkirk walks at the end of the year and you get nuttin

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Or Shattenkirk walks at the end of the year and you get nuttin

haha worse comes to worse St Louis keeps him for the year... and that is also an extremely good option

Blues are in a win win situation no matter what regarding Shattenkirk(thanks to the emergence of Parayko)

Im sure Blues fans would be estatic having him around another year

Last edited:

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
haha worse comes to worse St Louis keeps him for the year... and that is also an extremely good option

Blues are in a win win situation no matter what regarding Shattenkirk(thanks to the emergence of Parayko)

Im sure Blues fans would be estatic having him around another year

If Shattenkirk plays any games with the Blues it'll be a constant reminder of how big a derelict Armstrong is.

The deal should have been done long before now and Armstrong has egg on his face. He said his own asking price was too high at the draft. Weeks later he basically said the entire trade rumor involving Shattenkirk created itself and he is happy to have Shattenkirk play for the Blues next year.

All the talk of Shattenkirk getting traded for rental prices needs to stop. If he's traded before the season the team involved will have talked about an extension and the agreement will already be in place, even if only verbally.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Ottawa wins this hands down and that's even with C Mac maybe not being the same poster after his concussion.

Meatwagon

Blues=Overrated
Nov 15, 2010
Bi-polar Express
If Backes and Brouwer(Oshie trade) proved anything, he's willing to let players walk. Now I think it would be stupid to let Shattery walk for nothing, but Army's done it before...

Meatwagon

Blues=Overrated
Nov 15, 2010
Bi-polar Express
If Backes and Brouwer(Oshie trade) proved anything, he's willing to let players walk. Now I think it would be stupid to let Shattery walk for nothing, but Army's done it before...

Here's a secondary, novel idea, they just re-sign him and dangle JBow in the expansion draft. 2 problems solved!!

BA Carroll

Mar 2, 2014
Kreider and Adam Tambellini
for
Shattenkirk
...is an easy yes for me, if I'm Doug Armstrong.

If NYR are intent on dumping Nash on the Blues, don't expect fair value. You would need to retain significant salary, and take some back, as well. Something along the lines of Berglund and Jaskin for Nash, with the difference in salary retained.

Of course the Rangers aren't going to pay Nash to play for the Blues.
The Blues are in the same boat with Bouwmeester as the Rangers are with Nash.

Whitsmith803

Jul 11, 2016
St. Louis, MO
I guess the point is that even though the Blues may very well trade him to someone else and get more value, if Shattenkirk is traded to the Rangers I would expect it to be for the price of a 1 year Shattenkirk rather than an extended one.

Why would the Rangers want to wait and have other teams bid for him?? With the chance of getting nothing?? If Blues wanted rental they would have sent him to Edmonton already.

Rangers make the deal only makes sense if he's signed to an a extension.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Why would the Rangers want to wait and have other teams bid for him?? With the chance of getting nothing?? If Blues wanted rental they would have sent him to Edmonton already.

Why would the Rangers pay that much for a guy they believe they have a chance of signing on their own anyway? Especially considering the addition of Shattenkirk does not make them cup contenders. There is no need to add in excess to attain his services. It could end up entirely possible that the Rangers offering Kreider + B prospect is the best offer the Blues receive. It is also possible that it is not. I just think the most probable thing is that the Rangers are not going to offer much more than that, if even that.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Why would the Rangers pay that much for a guy they believe they have a chance of signing on their own anyway? Especially considering the addition of Shattenkirk does not make them cup contenders. There is no need to add in excess to attain his services. It could end up entirely possible that the Rangers offering Kreider + B prospect is the best offer the Blues receive. It is also possible that it is not. I just think the most probable thing is that the Rangers are not going to offer much more than that, if even that.

1- I keep seeing you Ranger fans using this line.

While that might be your stance, are you sure your GM feel's the same way?
The guy was just talking openly about adding salary now that Brassard is gone and that isn't the kind of talk you expect a "rebuilding" GM to be throwing around.

I'm not saying whether you guys should rebuild or try to make a run while you still have Lundqvist; I'm saying take your own personal feelings out of it for a minute and try to decide what your GM is more likely to do rather than what you personally want him to do.

2- Kreider plus prospect might be close to the right value; but say for the sake of argument that the Blues want somebody other than Kreider. Kreider doesn't fill any kind of need for us. We're stacked on LW with Schwartz, Fabbri, Steen and Berglund. Assuming we don't want Kreider, what similar package would you guys actually be willing to part with. And please don't try to gloss over the value difference between Kreider and somebody like Hayes.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Well they get a year of Shattenkirk, one of the best offensive defensemen and PP weapons in the league during a Stanley Cup contending season

giphy.gif

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Kreider and Adam Tambellini
for
Shattenkirk
...is an easy yes for me, if I'm Doug Armstrong.

If NYR are intent on dumping Nash on the Blues, don't expect fair value. You would need to retain significant salary, and take some back, as well. Something along the lines of Berglund and Jaskin for Nash, with the difference in salary retained.

Of course the Rangers aren't going to pay Nash to play for the Blues.
The Blues are in the same boat with Bouwmeester as the Rangers are with Nash.

Kreider is our young core w/Miller etc, he goes nowhere.

It is either
an adjusted $ Nash, 2 yrs,
or
Stepan
for expiring Shattenkirk,
with huge conditional add if he does not extend in NY

also, it must be clear the league will not make any more last minute changes and do not penalize Rangers or similar team for dealing for the UFA now. That is, critical concern is NY avoids use of slot for protection re expansion draft when what both they and the UFA would want is to wait until the day after the draft to extend

Alluckks

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
1- I keep seeing you Ranger fans using this line.

While that might be your stance, are you sure your GM feel's the same way?
The guy was just talking openly about adding salary now that Brassard is gone and that isn't the kind of talk you expect a "rebuilding" GM to be throwing around.

I'm not saying whether you guys should rebuild or try to make a run while you still have Lundqvist; I'm saying take your own personal feelings out of it for a minute and try to decide what your GM is more likely to do rather than what you personally want him to do.

2- Kreider plus prospect might be close to the right value; but say for the sake of argument that the Blues want somebody other than Kreider. Kreider doesn't fill any kind of need for us. We're stacked on LW with Schwartz, Fabbri, Steen and Berglund. Assuming we don't want Kreider, what similar package would you guys actually be willing to part with. And please don't try to gloss over the value difference between Kreider and somebody like Hayes.

None of Stepan, Zib, McDonagh, Skeji, or Buchnevich.

Whitsmith803

Jul 11, 2016
St. Louis, MO
Kreider is our young core w/Miller etc, he goes nowhere.

It is either
an adjusted $ Nash, 2 yrs,
or
Stepan
for expiring Shattenkirk,
with huge conditional add if he does not extend in NY

also, it must be clear the league will not make any more last minute changes and do not penalize Rangers or similar team for dealing for the UFA now. That is, critical concern is NY avoids use of slot for protection re expansion draft when what both they and the UFA would want is to wait until the day after the draft to extend

Rangers are going to let there overpaid Dman available for expansion. Rangers either way trade with the Blues knowing know that Shattenkirk isn't a rental which increases the value or Boston Arizona Devils Islanders
Have a chance to trade and extend him before he hits the market. Last time I checked Larsson got Hall?? Expecting the Blues to get Kreider or Miller plus for Shattenkirk who is more proven I don't see the why the uproar.

Shattenkirk will be traded and will be signed when traded or I believe he would have already been a Oilers this offseason.

dashripdot

Jul 18, 2010
Rangers can't deal for Shattenkirk and extend him unless either Girardi or Staal are part of a trade (unlikely) or one agrees to waive his NMC for purposes of the expansion draft. Otherwise, they are forced to protect Staal and Girardi due to their NMCs, plus McDonagh, as their 3 D-men, and there's no protection for Shattenkirk.

Alluckks

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Rangers are going to let there overpaid Dman available for expansion. Rangers either way trade with the Blues knowing know that Shattenkirk isn't a rental which increases the value or Boston Arizona Devils Islanders
Have a chance to trade and extend him before he hits the market. Last time I checked Larsson got Hall?? Expecting the Blues to get Kreider or Miller plus for Shattenkirk who is more proven I don't see the why the uproar.

Shattenkirk will be traded and will be signed when traded or I believe he would have already been a Oilers this offseason.

The Larsson for Hall trade provides absolutely no baseline for a Shattenkirk trade.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Armstrong should either trade Shattenkirk with an extension already in place to maximize return, or he should hold onto him for a playoff run. Pretty simple.

If/when STL gets eliminated, I could see Shattenkirks rights getting moved for a pretty good return.

Alluckks

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Armstrong should either trade Shattenkirk with an extension already in place to maximize return, or he should hold onto him for a playoff run. Pretty simple.

If/when STL gets eliminated, I could see Shattenkirks rights getting moved for a pretty good return.

Of the teams that he is willing to agree to an extension with - those teams might not be willing to pay a higher-than-rental price.

Rights do not return much. Maybe a 4th at best. Just look at all of precedent.

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
Don't forget the effect all this talk can have on a player.

He goes all-in and blows out a knee in playoffs- gone for a year. That has to play in the back of these guys minds.

They would be smart to take care of this asap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad