Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign Malte Stromwall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
So is Kovac signing this summer too or will he stay in Sweden another year? Probably a tough decision for him.

Some of the Ranger writers I follow thinks he signs his ELC this summer, and plays for Hartford next season. But I guess it all depends

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Code:
Kid is clearly not SHL material, dont know exactly what this signing is for but okay... cant say its useless.

He didn't play in the SHL at all this season and since he's still only 21, and was only 20 last time he played in the SHL. Given his age, it's possible, even likely that he improved.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Caggiula was on my wishlist all season but it seems we are not even on the list of teams chasing him. Why do we always go for the boring players? The safe bets... I want to sign these low risk, high reward players.

Because everyone wants to sign them, so we stand a 1/30 chance for each of them. On the other hand, the lower hanging fruit are more plentiful and face less competition, so we, like all others, sign them much more often than we sign Hayes.

You're basically asking why we are signing low-demand, high-supply players more than high-demand, low-supply players.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Because everyone wants to sign them, so we stand a 1/30 chance for each of them. On the other hand, the lower hanging fruit are more plentiful and face less competition, so we, like all others, sign them much more often than we sign Hayes.

You're basically asking why we are signing low-demand, high-supply players more than high-demand, low-supply players.

That's a good way of putting it. I think a lot of posters here assume because it's 'New York' and it's the 'Rangers' that quite naturally all the best players should want to play for us but it doesn't work that way--everyone is different and there are an endless number of factors involved with all the variable players involved.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
^This, minus the Grabovski comparison. Think he can utilize his skills to become more of a stronger player in tight to score. I think if you can see his technical skills while connecting it to his drive to get to the net, or even rip one from way out, think he has a better capable comparison to Marian Hossa or Marian Gaborik for that matter, too. I'm not saying he'll actually end up like those two, but he's got the raw skills for a make shift player like that, IMO.

Yeah I understand what you mean. From my point of view I don't doubt that he can score goals of elite plays at more or less any level.

But you know, that cannot be your bread and butter. And he is light when it comes to fighting in front of the net and around the boards, and he isn't a player like Panarin or Kane and the likes who are masters at going to the areas of the rink others don't, and create offense from the open ice they find there.

I do hope that he will thrive better on the smaller ice in NA, Malte has great intensity in his skating and maybe he really can find a way to utilize that in the AHL and kind of excess my expectations offensively. If not, I do kind of expect him to "at best" be able to become a speedster on a depth line. Malte compares himself to TJ Oshie. The midgets in Buffalo, Carolina and Columbus aren't that bad comparisons in this regard either (I lost their names ...).

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
It'd be nice to have guys like Caggiula, but he's a hot commodity. At best Stromwall becomes a good player for the Rangers, at worst he is trade bait. I love the signing though

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Caggiula was on my wishlist all season but it seems we are not even on the list of teams chasing him. Why do we always go for the boring players? The safe bets... I want to sign these low risk, high reward players.

How do you know we didn't go after him? Maybe he just doesn't want to play in NY and declined.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
How do you know we didn't go after him? Maybe he just doesn't want to play in NY and declined.

It seems like a lot of people here forget that these star college FAs and whatnot can always just straight up decline offers if they want. And those general won't get reported if it's just like "Hey, want to play for us with XYZ offer?" "No."

Only the really close decisions will be reported or have any rumors/news generated.

Just because we hear nothing about the Rangers going after these top players doesn't mean that they aren't trying. To some people on this board, it seems like the Ranger must be in the final running for every top player

:shakehead

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
If I were to guess I would say the Rangers really tried, but sometimes you don't have enough stake in the claim.

Flyers have Hakstol, his former coach. Vancouver has Boeser, Toronto can promise chance right away to make the big league. Hawks have his buddy Schmaltz, plus that team would be a perfect team for this prospect, who projects as a bottom six forward by the way.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
been that way forever as it seems.

Yeah Nash, Kreider, Stepan, Hayes, Miller, Staal, Moore and Fast are all tiny, tissue-soft players, right? To say nothing of his love affair with Glass.

I don't know where anyone would get the idea that AV loves small, soft players. Certainly not from objectively analyzing the roster. Who is "soft" on the roster? Brassard and Stalberg? Even is that was true, they're both over six feet and 200 pounds. ****, even Zuccarello is tough as nails.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Yeah I understand what you mean. From my point of view I don't doubt that he can score goals of elite plays at more or less any level.

But you know, that cannot be your bread and butter. And he is light when it comes to fighting in front of the net and around the boards, and he isn't a player like Panarin or Kane and the likes who are masters at going to the areas of the rink others don't, and create offense from the open ice they find there.

I do hope that he will thrive better on the smaller ice in NA, Malte has great intensity in his skating and maybe he really can find a way to utilize that in the AHL and kind of excess my expectations offensively. If not, I do kind of expect him to "at best" be able to become a speedster on a depth line. Malte compares himself to TJ Oshie. The midgets in Buffalo, Carolina and Columbus aren't that bad comparisons in this regard either (I lost their names ...).

Agreed, Ola.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
Yeah Nash, Kreider, Stepan, Hayes, Miller, Staal, Moore and Fast are all tiny, tissue-soft players, right? To say nothing of his love affair with Glass.

I don't know where anyone would get the idea that AV loves small, soft players. Certainly not from objectively analyzing the roster. Who is "soft" on the roster? Brassard and Stalberg? Even is that was true, they're both over six feet and 200 pounds. ****, even Zuccarello is tough as nails.

They're all soft! Zuccarello is the toughest of all those guys! Wups excluding Miller.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
He had a promising season in Sweden for sure. But will he have any chance to get on the Ranger team this year?

We need someone to replace Glass.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
He had a promising season in Sweden for sure. But will he have any chance to get on the Ranger team this year?

We need someone to replace Glass.

I'm sure everyone that shows up at camp will try their hardest. Stromwall has experience on NA ice, so it's not like he's completely new to smaller rinks and whatnot.

We also don't know what will happen in the offseason. Maybe (fingers crossed) Glass is dealt somewhere. Or buried in Hartford after the first round of cuts at camp. Maybe Stromwall can bring the grit AV likes as well as provide skill.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
I was a little surprised at first when we signed him. Here are some thoughts.

I think the biggest reason for why we signed this guy is that he is super ambitious in addition to being a great skater and having played in NA before. At worst he will at some point come to HFD and work harder than anyone else (of the ice at least) and help create a good environment in HFD.

His strength is his speed for sure and his ability to challenge Ds 1 on 1 and take the puck to the net.

The downside is that he is diminutive and pretty one dimensional. He is not the type who sets up shop on the PP nor is he much of a playmaker. Hence he scores few cheap goals. OTOH he is really good for sure in those 1 on 1 situation. I've also -- not yet -- seem him be able to assume a role of like a Marty Straka type, ie someone that really can help a scoring teammate out in especially the two way game. But he is still young.

Upside is probably roughly something like a Mikhail Grabovski type maybe.

Good add but smells of Prucha, hopefully he keeps his head up

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
yay another small player. Thats the way to go Rangers, small soft players. AV loves those guys.

The Rangers are the 12th tallest and 13th heaviest team in the NHL. Not huge by any stretch but not a small team by any stretch either. Since I can remember, all Rangers fans do is complain about size. Stop it with this nonsense which has basically never been true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad