Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign defenseman John Gilmour

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
I like this move. He can hone his skill on the pack and I figure Graves to get the call up/send down treatment this season so another LHD isn't bad to have around. At best, his skating ability and IQ gets him to the NHL in a lower pairing role in a couple seasons.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Wait, I'm confused. I thought the only way to get prospects in your system was via high draft picks?

Hahahaha. Look, I'm psyched to get a midlevel prospect for free, and definitely hope that he surprises to become more than that, but don't kid yourself - he was a 7th round pick. It's not like we just got Victor Hedman or Seth Jones here...

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Wait, I'm confused. I thought the only way to get prospects in your system was via high draft picks?

no thats the one of only way that you get elite prospects in your system. tons of ways to get mediocre prospects lol

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
I'm just saying, every time we trade a third rounder or prospect we acquired late or even a prospect that isn't expected to be elite, we always hear the same criticisms of NYR that we're "selling the farm" or not rebuilding.

Now we've just signed a quality prospect and have the chance to get another one in Vesey. Not exactly Victor Hedman and Jonathan Toews level acquisitions, but we needed good young players in Hartford, right? And who knows - plenty of college FAs with middling expectations turned out to be really good players. You have to acquire them to find out.

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
I'm happy, more contracts on prospects and lets see which pan out. I heard there's some Vesey kid worth throwing a chance at, maybe Gorto should do that.

Maybe a tactic to demonstrate NYR's commitment to developing kids from NCAA programs and the NE. I could see that as part of the Vesey sales pitch.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Maybe a tactic to demonstrate NYR's commitment to developing kids from NCAA programs and the NE. I could see that as part of the Vesey sales pitch.

The domino theory is always speculated, but never pans out.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Hahahaha. Look, I'm psyched to get a midlevel prospect for free, and definitely hope that he surprises to become more than that, but don't kid yourself - he was a 7th round pick. It's not like we just got Victor Hedman or Seth Jones here...

Wasn't Torey Krug undrafted?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

You need to pick in the top 4 to get a Hedman or a Jones. Rangers have not picked that high in a Very long time.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Gropp slides ?

Yes, though his was a bit weird to figure out since his birthday is on September 16th.

https://www.capfriendly.com/slides/2016

If a player who is signed to an entry-level contract and is 18 or 19 years of age (as of September 15 of the signing year), does not play in a minimum of 10 NHL games (including both regular season and playoffs; AHL games do not count), their contract is considered to ‘slide’, or extend, by one year. For example, if a player signed an ELC for three seasons from 2015-16 to 2017-2018, and their contract slides, their contract is now effective from 2016-17 to 2018-19. An exception to this rule is that if the player is 19 on September 15 of the first year of their contract, and turns 20 between September 16 and December 31, their contract does not slide.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Does this guy have any real NHL upside or mostly a AHL depth signing?

Never seen him play. Evidently he is something of a PMD that doesn't suck at defense. For now I think it is a depth signing...but with the hopes that he can surprise and be something more to the organization.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Does this guy have any real NHL upside or mostly a AHL depth signing?

This is from the HF writeup on him:

"Gilmour has been a key member of the Friars' defense corps and long-term he projects as a competent lower pairing defender capable of playing in all roles. He will likely spend time in the AHL honing his game before reaching that point."

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/john-gilmour/

Sounds like a guy that should become a quality AHL player with a chance to become an NHL contributor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad